2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Any new word on this kid? Is he still an FSU lean?

UOVing FSU right now & they appear way ahead.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Is he planning another visit here?

Would think so if he doesn't commit before then.

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we’re gonna need FSU to drop 4-5 while we go 11-1 or 12-0, from my point of view. not out of it though.

37 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

we’re gonna need FSU to drop 4-5 while we go 11-1 or 12-0, from my point of view. not out of it though.

A team's record for the year leading up to signing day seldom makes any difference at all. Should coaches get fired, that can make a difference but win-loss record is usually meaningless.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

A team's record for the year leading up to signing day seldom makes any difference at all. Should coaches get fired, that can make a difference but win-loss record is usually meaningless.

Also We are in this battle more than people think.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also We are in this battle more than people think.We are in this battle more than people think.

You can say that again.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Better hope we can land this kid, our #1 target for OT now. So I'm told. And will most likely play as a G. 

Awesome!  War Damn page 3 of our most wanted OT's.

Whether he was on page 3 or not, he's a player, and I think we're absolutely right to recruit him as a T/G combo player. He looks to have the mobility and length to play outside. He's an Austin Golson type of guy, and you can win a lot of games with that kind of player. I'm glad to know we're pressing hard to land Putnam.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

You can say that again.

My phone thought it was so nice it said it twice.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

War Damn page 3 of our most wanted OT's.

What do you mean?

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Better hope we can land this kid, our #1 target for OT now. So I'm told. And will most likely play as a G. 

Are we looking to move to a 4 guard offense in the future?  Gus must have been conferring with Bruce from championship basketball season.:Sing:

13 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Are we looking to move to a 4 guard offense in the future?

No. AU likes him as an OT & OG as Corch 1st said 6 weeks ago. Must have long arms. Lol

We have 1 OT  Osborne in this class that has the skills and frame but needs to weight and strength he will be a player in a year or two.. If we could land a stud OT everybody would be super happy but they are few and far between. If we could get a kid like Putnam that is a stud guard who could also play OT then I am all in on it. I realize we are behind but we are working.

Next year is the year that we must sign a couple of OT's.  Our current OT is Troxell, Ashley, Prince Sammons, Prince Tega, and the transfer Driscoll. Transfer and Prince Tega has 2 more years and other three have at least 3 years with Osborne coming in next year. 

Next year is the year that we must sign a couple of OT's. 

The three we have signed so far fit our needs a Center Jakai Clark, a guard Keiondre Jones, and an OT Justin Osborne who will need a couple of years but has the potential to be an SEC OT, we need one or two more O-Linemen but only if we think they will become SEC starters in the future. Harrell and Horton are both Juniors so we need to replace guards also.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have 1 OT  Osborne in this class that has the skills and frame but needs to weight and strength he will be a player in a year or two.. If we could land a stud OT everybody would be super happy but they are few and far between. If we could get a kid like Putnam that is a stud guard who could also play OT then I am all in on it. I realize we are behind but we are working.

Next year is the year that we must sign a couple of OT's.  Our current OT is Troxell, Ashley, Prince Sammons, Prince Tega, and the transfer Driscoll. Transfer and Prince Tega has 2 more years and other three have at least 3 years with Osborne coming in next year. 

The three we have signed so far fit our needs a Center Jakai Clark, a guard Keiondre Jones, and an OT Justin Osborne who will need a couple of years but has the potential to be an SEC OT, we need one or two more O-Linemen but only if we think they will become SEC starters in the future. Harrell and Horton are both Juniors so we need to replace guards also.

FWIW Osborne is also a swing guy who could end up at OG.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think the coaches know that. We're in the mix with a lot of these offensive linemen this year. Even Wanya Morris is not 100% gone from us. We're making headway with offensive linemen, I expect us to pull in a similar crop of OL talent in 2020 that we are this year.

36 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I expect us to pull in a similar crop of OL talent in 2020 that we are this year

So average to below average unless we hit on a big timer?

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If we were to pull Putnam, I'd be good with this class. 

Well I’m sure Gus and the staff will be pleased to know that! 

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So average to below average unless we hit on a big timer? 

I've seen it said that recruiting OL is probably the toughest position because you don't know how much a kid is going to grow and develop. It was evidenced by the number of directional schools who have OL drafted every year.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I've seen it said that recruiting OL is probably the toughest position because you don't know how much a kid is going to grow and develop. It was evidenced by the number of directional schools who have OL drafted every year.

It's true no doubt but the better you recruit the better the chances of some guys panning out.

If you tell me we're signing Putnam and someone else (Kamaar Bell or Charles Cross or someone like that), this isn't an average to below average class. Jones and Putnam alone make it above average. 

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Jones and Putnam alone make it above average. 

Only if they pan out. We signed a crop  in 2015 a lot of  people thought was a good class . It hasn’t panned out overall yet. They have their opportunity this year. But to this point overall they haven’t even been average on the collective whole. So signing a number of guys does not automatically  make it a good class.  They still have to develop and produce at a quality SEC level.

If that’s the barometer (how they actually panned out), it’s absolutely crazy to call any position group a good, average, or bad signing class until we’re 3-4 years in. That’s just not what people mean when they rate a signing group. They’re usually talking about ratings and perception and relative quality compared to other schools at Signing Day. 

Archived