2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

Putnam is a must get, but saw on a Clemson site that he is about 265 pounds right now. If accurate, he may not be the first year contributor a lot of folks are predicting. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, AUwent said:

If by some miracle Gus earns an eighth year, THE main priority would need to be to get rid of Grimes.

May not have to wait for an 8th year. This off season & the heavy part of the coaching carosel hasn't even started yet.

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

That would put us in a strang(er) spot, because that would mean we would have to give him at least a ninth year to make time for a new offensive line coach

No it wouldn't Gus is do or die next year regardless. He has to get 9 wins to even hope to survive.

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

The longer Gus stays, the deeper the hole will be. Our OL recruiting is in the pits. JB Grimes has proven himself to be incapable of recruiting. We need a new OL coach. But we can’t really get a half decent one this yr because Gus is basically a lame duck. So. If Gus somehow wins 9 games next yr—I don’t think this will happen but he’s known to do JUST enough to avoid being fired (see 2016 and 17)—we would have to keep him, but we would desperately need a new OL coach. This means that we would need to guarantee him a few more years—not buyout money, but years on the job. Because what decent OL coach would want to come in knowing it might be uprooted in a year? Plus, that would defeat the purpose of hiring one—recruiting. So if Gus turns in a performance not worthy of being fired next year (9-3 AT LEAST), were going to have to guarantee him a few more years PROVIDED he makes a change at OL. So would going 6-6 or worse next year actually be better for us in the long run?

All I'm going to say is you are WAY overthinking this. 9 wins does not guarantee Gus another year. It just gives him a chance to get another year.

49 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Putnam is a must get, but saw on a Clemson site that he is about 265 pounds right now. If accurate, he may not be the first year contributor a lot of folks are predicting. 

Haven't seen anyone credible expect him to be a year 1 starter and the only place that has him at 265 lbs is ESPN & they rarely update their profiles. 247 & Rivals have him at 280 FWIW.

Blurb from Nerd at CollegeAndMag

Important Decision Coming Soon

It’s been over a month since the Tigers last landed a commitment and Auburn is hoping that drought ends at the end of this week. Arguably Auburn’s most important target on the board right now, 4* OG William Putnam is set to make his commitment later this week.

This is a three team race between Auburn, Clemson and Florida State. The consensus appears to be that Auburn and Clemson are probably the top two teams and it’s too close to call right now. Both programs are in desperate need for an elite OL in this class. For Auburn, they are hoping the chance at early playing time along with his bond with many of Auburn’s 2019 commitments will be enough to convince the #78 overall player in the country to don the orange and blue next season. It would be a huge victory for this staff and a big pull before early signing day.

Just now, War to the Eagle said:

Multiple CBs out for Putnam in recent days.

???

Can’t Land Em Monsters. Sorry Offensive Neanderthals come here.

36 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Multiple CBs out for Putnam in recent days.

???

3 for Clemson. The last AU pick came 2 months ago.

Putnam is very important, but I think the "most important one on the board" is an overstatement. We have zero RB's committed and only one LB. Those two positions, along with OL, are about equal in importance as I see it.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Putnam is very important, but I think the "most important one on the board" is an overstatement. We have zero RB's committed and only one LB. Those two positions, along with OL, are about equal in importance as I see it.

I disagree. I think Putnam is the most important recruit other than Nix. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Feel free to disagree. However, we already have one each 4* and 3* guards committed. Zero RB's and one LB. Signing Putnam would be great. Signing at least one more quality LB and hopefully two quality RB's is essential.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Yup. We've seen how valuable our skill players are without OLs. 

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Feel free to disagree. However, we already have one each 4* and 3* guards committed. Zero RB's and one LB. Signing Putnam would be great. Signing at least one more quality LB and hopefully two quality RB's is essential.

They are all important. I actually think that we will land 1 or maybe 2 RBs in this class that are very good. LBs - not so sure but there are only 2 lbs that are on the field most of the time. We have 5 OL on the field - and I think those that started for us this year will all be seniors. Calvin Ashley is a big question mark (due to issues this year). Our depth will be incredibly thin soon. We need a good, big class of elite OL. 

54 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

They are all important. I actually think that we will land 1 or maybe 2 RBs in this class that are very good. LBs - not so sure but there are only 2 lbs that are on the field most of the time. We have 5 OL on the field - and I think those that started for us this year will all be seniors. Calvin Ashley is a big question mark (due to issues this year). Our depth will be incredibly thin soon. We need a good, big class of elite OL. 

I agree. LB's once was the biggest need but right now it's OL by a big margin. This need is totally shutting down our Off.

To the point of Putnam I have to agree that it doesn't look great and we might even be in 3rd right now. He would have been a rather nice pickup and I don't think his commitment prevents us from getting more LBs or RBs; both of which we also need.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

At this point I think all three positions are extremely important. recent postings seem to point to us getting 1-2 quality RB's (probably 2), I think TWill will find another quality LB (Not based on Knowledge just trust in TWill), Putnam was and is huge and apparently not looking good so hopefully we are able to pull in 1 or 2 of the names we have recently seen (Kennedy, Olaseni, Jones).  Also we need some of our current younger O-Linemen Brahms, Irving, Troxell, Hamm to come on strong this spring and fall. Also if Ashley stays we need the light to come on for him.   

Nobody we will sign this year will help us next year with luck 1-2 can help their second year so we really need some of the younger guys to come on strong after a year with Grimes.  

So, what other OT are on the board? The Juco, one from Indiana and is the prospect from Texas still available?

The OT from Alabaster  that was committed to Louisville, is he in play  or consideration?

18 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

So, what other OT are on the board? The Juco, one from Indiana and is the prospect from Texas still available?

Putnam is not an OT target for AU. Mainly OG. But at OT the known to the public targets are the Juco Bam-O, Dawand Jones from Indiana, & Hookfin from Texas but he is the Longhorns to lose now.

27 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

The OT from Alabaster  that was committed to Louisville, is he in play  or consideration?

Jayme Simmons, and there has been no indication Gus has interest in him to this point.

5 minutes ago, DonDraper said:

Just how things stand as of now 

If you are referring to info from Rivals they are behind sometimes on recruitments & this looks like one of those times FWIW.

Archived