2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Where is Calvin Ashley???

Scuddle butt is he never toughened up from his softness & likely won't be back.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he have the opportunity to attend IMG his senior year and turned it down?    Seems like I read that here.     When I saw that, my first thought was that he is soft.    I'm no big fan of IMG, but it's set up for hard-core, dedicated players whose primary goal is the NFL.      Turning down IMG is a big red flag for me.   

48 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he have the opportunity to attend IMG his senior year and turned it down?

Actually he was at IMG & transferred out a 3rd time before his SR season even started.

23 minutes ago, Samau said:

Any word how Putnams visit go? Do we still lead?

Probably don't lead for anyone right now on the offensive side until an OC is named

2 hours ago, Samau said:

Any word how Putnams visit go? Do we still lead?

Toss up but Clemson may be more confident than AU.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Probably don't lead for anyone right now on the offensive side until an OC is named

Kamaar Bell.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Toss up but Clemson may be more confident than AU.

I know we have beat them for a couple but Dabo vs Gus is not a fair fight right now.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:08 PM, ellitor said:

Just another highly ranked player who signs with Auburn and then proves not to be worth time.

10 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Honestly I would be okay if we scoped out more wrestling kids.  It really helps you understand leverage and placement of your hands.  When they arrive at Auburn we could then spend more time learning the other fundamentals.  Coe comes to mind recently.

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Honestly I would be okay if we scoped out more wrestling kids.  It really helps you understand leverage and placement of your hands.  When they arrive at Auburn we could then spend more time learning the other fundamentals.  Coe comes to mind recently.

One of the bright spots of this team and season, for sure. 

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* OG William Putnam

Do we get him?........... 

larry.gif

If we pull Putnam in we have an adequate O-Line class if we don't we have a very weak O-line class it is that simple. 

I have some questions for the insiders one is Irvin he was a red shirt this year and was projected as a Center. Has Irvin shown promise. That was one of our weaker positions this year. Brahms has a year to get stronger as he is finally recovered from his leg injury. Kim's technique was better than Brahm's but he just wasn't strong enough and he has had plenty of time to get stronger so I don't expect him to be the answer at Center.  Is there anybody else who we could put in at Center like Hamm if Irwin, Kim or Brahms is not the answer? 

The second question is around Horton he was not very good this year but the year before he was very solid. I heard he had all kinds of minor injuries was that the problem and do you think he can get back to being a solid contributor? The beginning of the year my big fears were OT and Center. and I felt most confidant with Horton and Harrel at guard. Center proved my fears were legitimate. OT play most of the time was better than guard play.  We have three OT's I think we can count on Prince, Driscoll, and Troxell.  Prince got better as year went on and Driscoll got used to SEC play while Troxell gained valuable experience.

Is Hamm ready to contribute at Guard if Horton or Harrel are not the answer at Guard?

Do we have any other O-Linemen who are ready to contribute? Do we have a late bloomer like Robert Leff in the group? 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we pull Putnam in we have an adequate O-Line class if we don't we have a very weak O-line class it is that simple. 

I have some questions for the insiders one is Irvin he was a red shirt this year and was projected as a Center. Has Irvin shown promise. That was one of our weaker positions this year. Brahms has a year to get stronger as he is finally recovered from his leg injury. Kim's technique was better than Brahm's but he just wasn't strong enough and he has had plenty of time to get stronger so I don't expect him to be the answer at Center.  Is there anybody else who we could put in at Center like Hamm if Irwin, Kim or Brahms is not the answer? 

The second question is around Horton he was not very good this year but the year before he was very solid. I heard he had all kinds of minor injuries was that the problem and do you think he can get back to being a solid contributor? The beginning of the year my big fears were OT and Center. and I felt most confidant with Horton and Harrel at guard. Center proved my fears were legitimate. OT play most of the time was better than guard play.  We have three OT's I think we can count on Prince, Driscoll, and Troxell.  Prince got better as year went on and Driscoll got used to SEC play while Troxell gained valuable experience.

Is Hamm ready to contribute at Guard if Horton or Harrel are not the answer at Guard?

Do we have any other O-Linemen who are ready to contribute? Do we have a late bloomer like Robert Leff in the group? 

Good questions, but most of those won't get answered until after the off-season.  

To me, Putnam is a must get, but we need, at minimum, another OT.  Typically, OT take a year or two to gain the strength and skills necessary to play at this level.  Now obviously there are certain players that can step in day 1 and lock down a position for ~3 years...sadly, none of those are signing with us this year.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Good questions, but most of those won't get answered until after the off-season.  

To me, Putnam is a must get, but we need, at minimum, another OT.  Typically, OT take a year or two to gain the strength and skills necessary to play at this level.  Now obviously there are certain players that can step in day 1 and lock down a position for ~3 years...sadly, none of those are signing with us this year.

If by some miracle Gus earns an eighth year, THE main priority would need to be to get rid of Grimes. That would put us in a strang(er) spot, because that would mean we would have to give him at least a ninth year to make time for a new offensive line coach--of which we are in desperate need. Honestly, it might just work out better for us to go 6-6 or worse next year to keep us from spiraling further at OL--see FSU.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I havn't had any confidence in true freshman O linemen in a while. I can't recall the last one that was a serious contributor for Auburn. Dismukes?

The longer Gus stays, the deeper the hole will be. Our OL recruiting is in the pits. JB Grimes has proven himself to be incapable of recruiting. We need a new OL coach. But we can’t really get a half decent one this yr because Gus is basically a lame duck. So. If Gus somehow wins 9 games next yr—I don’t think this will happen but he’s known to do JUST enough to avoid being fired (see 2016 and 17)—we would have to keep him, but we would desperately need a new OL coach. This means that we would need to guarantee him a few more years—not buyout money, but years on the job. Because what decent OL coach would want to come in knowing it might be uprooted in a year? Plus, that would defeat the purpose of hiring one—recruiting. So if Gus turns in a performance not worthy of being fired next year (9-3 AT LEAST), were going to have to guarantee him a few more years PROVIDED he makes a change at OL. So would going 6-6 or worse next year actually be better for us in the long run?

And once again, we’re paying him $7 million a year. Top five in the nation. We’re allowing him to stay another year after a performance more than warranting of a firing. KANSAS got Les Miles. So no, we don’t have to be repellent to a good coach.

I dont want to pile in on anything but Grimes is like if you took Tuberville and sectioned his ideas about recruiting to only the OL. The guy just doesnt have it, and we're past the point where you can just develop Group of 5 level guys into great dependable guys

that being said, if he could get this guy, it'd change that stigma

Archived