2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

29 P5 offers including 10 from the SEC: AU, FSU, Miami, Clemson, Gators, UGA, LSU, Michigan, tOSU, Penn St., aTm, Vols, & USC among others
Visited for Big Cat. 2nd visit to AU
FSU probably toughest competition

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grimes wasn't joking when he said he didn't like fat guys lol

I would very much like for us to get this guy 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Grimes wasn't joking when he said he didn't like fat guys lol

I would very much like for us to get this guy 

For real. That is a long and lean frame for a guard. And he could pack on a lot more at 6'4 and still pass the T-shirt test. 

Don't know if other folks agree, but I really see Putnam being able to play inside or out. He's obviously a dominant and angry run blocker, but he's an athletic guy. At minimum, he could cross-train to provide outside depth. One of my favorite OL prospects in this class.

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Top of the board for coach Grimes.

Got work to do to pass FSU though.

39 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Yes agree.  But Grimes is more then sold he can play either spot OG/OT

Is the OT part just RT?

This guy would be a huge get for JB. He looks like the next Braden Smith.

18 minutes ago, kd4au said:

He looks like the next Braden Smith.

Another OG JB liked at OT.

Braden was a very, very good player, but Putnam looks more athletic/fluid than Braden did at this stage. He also isn't as dominatingly physical. To my eye, he looks like a more aggressive Austin Golson. 

44 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

a more aggressive Austin Golson. 

We get 1 or 2 of those a year and we've probably got a pretty good offensive line. 

any crystal ball predictions on this player yet?  I would love to see us start winning battles against FSU for players in the future.  Is Taggert as good of a recruiter as Jimbo was? I do not know much about Taggert.

28 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

any crystal ball predictions on this player yet?  I would love to see us start winning battles against FSU for players in the future.  Is Taggert as good of a recruiter as Jimbo was? I do not know much about Taggert.

I know their O line has been terrible the last 2 years, he could get freshman playing time, possibly.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

any crystal ball predictions on this player yet?

For Auburn? No. We started this thing trailing.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Is Taggert as good of a recruiter as Jimbo was?

Don’t know. Time will tell.

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I know their O line has been terrible the last 2 years, he could get freshman playing time, possibly.

Big advantage for a new coach in terms of recruiting. 

30 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Taggart is an excellent recruiting head coach. 

FWIW FSU has the #8 class overall right now & #5 in grade per recruit.

Is his name interesting enough?...we've been hearing some doozies lately and I'm not sure he can compete with the likes of Wanya, Noah Cain, etc.

Taggart is an excellent coach and a super recruiter. In addition he is hard nosed. Go read what happened to the softies at Oregon when he got there. He would have been a great choice at AU if Gus had left and gone to Arkansas. He will be hard to deal with from now on at FSU!

• 2 weeks later...

Any new word on this kid? Is he still an FSU lean? Like most others I really like him with his frame and athleticism he would be a great get. Is he planning another visit here?

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Any new word on this kid? Is he still an FSU lean? Like most others I really like him with his frame and athleticism he would be a great get. Is he planning another visit here?

I love this kid, but we have to get him back on campus. There are a lot of CB’s out there, some of which don’t really matter right now because they come from up North, but there are a few that come from down South and they are for FSU.

Archived