2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Osborne is also a swing guy who could end up at OG.

Most think he is going to play at guard. Could be moved out to tackle if needed. Osborn could be a B. Smith type player at G. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Osborn could be a B. Smith type player at G. 

So you like that pick up?

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

So you like that pick up?

Sure do. But we need a big time OT. Osborn and Putnam are not these guys. Both are interior talents, very good interior talents. Projects on the outside. 

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Only if they pan out. We signed a crop  in 2015 a lot of  people thought was a good class . It hasn’t panned out overall yet. They have their opportunity this year. But to this point overall they haven’t even been average on the collective whole. So signing a number of guys does not automatically  make it a good class.  They still have to develop and produce at a quality SEC level.

We signed them and then handed them to a crap OL coach. 

We've been signing great receivers for a few years now but we refuse to give them a competent passing offense to thrive in (or they partied their way off the team).

Things happen. I'm with mcguf. Otherwise, why do we even pay attention to recruiting? 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We've been signing great receivers for a few years now but we refuse to give them a competent passing offense to thrive in (or they partied their way off the team).

Things happen. I'm with mcguf. Otherwise, why do we even pay attention to recruiting? 

You do understand that Herb would still be the OL coach at AU had he not left for Texas? I'm interested to hear what you have to say to this. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You do understand that Herb would still be the OL coach at AU had he not left for Texas? I'm interested to hear what you have to say to this. 

It's disappointing and it is not a vote of confidence for Gus. But maybe this offseason would have seen an improvement. Herb got moved from the box back down to the sideline and there was immediate, significant improvement in our overall offensive performance. Maybe they were connected, maybe not. But it's possible that his role in game planning and play calling would have been diminished and his focus on his unit would have been improved. I don't know. 

Why do you ask?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It's disappointing and it is not a vote of confidence for Gus. But maybe this offseason would have seen an improvement. Herb got moved from the box back down to the sideline and there was immediate, significant improvement in our overall offensive performance. Maybe they were connected, maybe not. But it's possible that his role in game planning and play calling would have been diminished and his focus on his unit would have been improved. I don't know. 

Why do you ask?

You keep on saying Herb is a crap coach, yet he would still be here if he hadn't taken the Texas job. Gus evidently didn't think he was a crap coach. Yet, a lot of people here rave about Grimes. They both are about equal as coaches. Herb's resumes is as good or better than Grimes. 

I’ll disagree there. Strongly. Hand has been places and has lines on the resume, but his OLs at Penn State and Auburn were QB killers. Almost literally. He had some success at Tulsa (thanks to Gus) and Vandy, but it’s bordering on ridiculous to say Hand’s 11-year career dotted with moderate success compares to J.B. Grimes’ 29 year career as an OL coach.

Grimes may not be your guy. He may not be a salve for what ails us. But his career at that position started under  Ken Hatfield in his freaking Arkansas days. I understand your point, but comparing those two resumes undercuts your position. 

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You keep on saying Herb is a crap coach

You thought he did a good job of coaching his players and making them better at Auburn? 

yet he would still be here if he hadn't taken the Texas job. Gus evidently didn't think he was a crap coach.

Yet, Gus changed his role in the middle of the season. And, yeah, Gus probably was going to give him at least another season. Gus isn't quick to fire people. Not sure what this has to do with Hand's ability to coach.

Yet, a lot of people here rave about Grimes.

If saying that he teaches fundamentals and his guys like playing for him is "raving", then ok. Cool.

They both are about equal as coaches.

Clearly a lot of people who pay a lot of very close attention to game film disagree with you.

Herb's resumes is as good or better than Grimes. 

Who said anything about resumes? When you tell me that you watch film and don't see Grimes's players improving at a rate equal to or better than Hand's players, then you have a relevant point to discuss. Otherwise, you're just continuing on with your Grimes hate. 

By the way, Keiondre Jones is at least the 3rd 4* guy to say that JB Grimes is a huge reason he committed to Auburn. Just wanted to rave about Grimes a little bit since some people around here claimed that no big time recruits ever said that about him. 

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You keep on saying Herb is a crap coach, yet he would still be here if he hadn't taken the Texas job. Gus evidently didn't think he was a crap coach. Yet, a lot of people here rave about Grimes. They both are about equal as coaches. Herb's resumes is as good or better than Grimes. 

When did this sentiment change?  8 months ago Herb was the scapegoat...the source of all that ails Auburn football.  The Grimes hire was to be step back in recruiting but a big step forward in run blocking.  That was the prevailing thought on this board...and you're the resident expert....our leader.  Now you're flipping that narrative around.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

When did this sentiment change?  8 months ago Herb was the scapegoat...the source of all that ails Auburn football.  The Grimes hire was to be step back in recruiting but a big step forward in run blocking.  That was the prevailing thought on this board...and you're the resident expert....our leader.  Now you're flipping that narrative around.

I think both are subpar OL coaches. Both, including Grimes. AU can and should do better. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You thought he did a good job of coaching his players and making them better at Auburn? 

Yet, Gus changed his role in the middle of the season. And, yeah, Gus probably was going to give him at least another season. Gus isn't quick to fire people. Not sure what this has to do with Hand's ability to coach.

If saying that he teaches fundamentals and his guys like playing for him is "raving", then ok. Cool.

Clearly a lot of people who pay a lot of very close attention to game film disagree with you.

Who said anything about resumes? When you tell me that you watch film and don't see Grimes's players improving at a rate equal to or better than Hand's players, then you have a relevant point to discuss. Otherwise, you're just continuing on with your Grimes hate. 

By the way, Keiondre Jones is at least the 3rd 4* guy to say that JB Grimes is a huge reason he committed to Auburn. Just wanted to rave about Grimes a little bit since some people around here claimed that no big time recruits ever said that about him. 

No, no they don't. And I talk to quite a few of these guys. One of the most respected coaches on this board agrees with me about Grimes. 

35 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

When did this sentiment change?  8 months ago Herb was the scapegoat...the source of all that ails Auburn football.

Its a vicious cycle really. It’s the annual AUFamily Offensive issue blame board. First it was Lashlee, then Kodi, then Herb, and now if the RB recruiting doesn’t start picking up, next in line would be Horton. 

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Its a vicious cycle really. It’s the annual AUFamily Offensive issue blame board. First it was Lashlee, then Kodi, then Herb, and now if the RB recruiting doesn’t start picking up, next in line would be Horton. 

To be fair, Horton has had one foot out the door for 3 to 4 years now.

Just now, bigbird said:

To be fair, Horton has had one foot out the door for 3 to 4 years now.

You’re exactly right

56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No, no they don't. And I talk to quite a few of these guys. One of the most respected coaches on this board agrees with me about Grimes. 

You tend to speak in absolutes and it compromises your arguments.

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

What do you mean?

It was my attempt at humor showing enthusiasm that we are on page 3 of our most wanted OT's 

31 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

And yet, through all that, there's been one constant not named above.

Herb Hand is the only one of the bunch who I can't really say anything good about and, as Bird said, it's common knowledge that Horton has been testing the waters for a couple years. And no, the RB recruiting is not looking good. But even Horton at least paid lip service to what went wrong with his position group last season and what needs to change. 

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly and it's the most important/influential one.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Herb Hand is the only one of the bunch who I can't really say anything good about and, as Bird said, it's common knowledge that Horton has been testing the waters for a couple years. And no, the RB recruiting is not looking good. But even Horton at least paid lip service to what went wrong with his position group last season and what needs to change. 

Hear me, I wasn’t calling you out homie. I was just saying on this site this is typically what happens. Agree with everything you said. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Hear me, I wasn’t calling you out homie. I was just saying on this site this is typically what happens. Agree with everything you said. 

Oh, I know. We're on the same page. :cheers:

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Who would your choices have been for OL coach if you could have done the choosing? I’m assuming not Grimes, lol. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure Grimes would have done those cats much better. For example, Grimes signed Braden as an OT & was adamant on keeping him there even though other knowledgeable people in the game said he was a Guard all the way.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

They both are about equal as coaches.

You know I respect the hell out of you but this is as about as bad a miss as you could possibly have. While Grimes' OLs have been below average in pass pro he doesn't have the career track record Hand has of continually having horendously bad pass blocking OLs. Also Grimes OLs have been better run blockers on the whole by a good margin. They both have their weaknesses but to call their coaching equal is about like me trying to make contact against Casey Mize.

Archived