2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

12 hours ago, creed said:

Jhc..really? Bunch of 7 year olds on today...lol

11 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Yep. Juvenile

Sorry we're not taking a thread about a high school kid on a college football message board seriously enough. We'll be sure to respect the full gravity of this most important conversation going forward. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry we're not taking a thread about a high school kid on a college football message board seriously enough. We'll be sure to respect the full gravity of this most important conversation going forward.

Also don't blame us on this one. If our 52 year old coach didn't eat his boogers this derailment wouldn't have happened.

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, ellitor started it :tease:

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also don't blame us on this one. If our 52 year old coach didn't eat his boogers this derailment wouldn't have happened.

:bow:

Just now, gr82be said:

Well, ellitor started it :tease:

Well I never expected @NorthGATiger to take it to the level he did. It was intended to be a one off joke.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well I never expected @NorthGATiger to take it to the level he did. It was intended to be a one off joke.

I'm definitely an accomplice. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

C'mon McLoofus. A page and a half of posts of a man cleaning out his nose, with graphics,  is a bit much.

Of course, I don't have to open the thread either. 

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

C'mon McLoofus. A page and a half of posts of a man cleaning out his nose, with graphics,  is a bit much.

Point conceded. 

Hey, at least we're not fans of the German national soccer team. For a lot of reasons.

@ellitor, meant to give you a big hells yeah on Putnam pushing back his commitment date. Thanks for that tidbit. 

11 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

To be fair to us juveniles, we've never talked about that in the recruiting forum. Was bound to happen at some point.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

You think this is 1st grade, go to the boobie thread!!! ?  On second thought....

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

You think this is 1st grade, go to the boobie thread!!! ?  On second thought....

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

On 7/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, toddc said:

Boobies vs Boogers.

I know which thread I prefer!

• 1 month later...

Also, I had no idea he is a state champion wrestler and I coach wrestling in the same state! I’ll keep an eye out for him this year.

Oh snap! I remember this kid, but I never made the connection. He pulled a major upset against South Dade’s heavyweight! This kid is a stud, South Dade is a nationally ranked team with a lot better coaching than Plant.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Also, I had no idea he is a state champion wrestler and I coach wrestling in the same state! I’ll keep an eye out for him this year.

I believe Coe was a state wrestling champion.  Those guys are in terrific shape, quick and always strong for their size. 

15 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

I believe Coe was a state wrestling champion.  Those guys are in terrific shape, quick and always strong for their size. 

If only more high school football players would buy in to this idea. Ridiculous how many use the “I don’t want it to hurt my football chances.” Or the classic for wrestling “I don’t wanna roll around with other guys, that’s gay.”

Two minutes on the mat with a top level wrestler will dispel either of those beliefs. Balance, hand fighting, toughness, fast twitch reactions, mental chess at high speeds, you name it and wrestling helps. 

War Eagle and now I really want this kid! I’ll make sure to give him a War Eagle at the state tournament this year.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If only more high school football players would buy in to this idea. Ridiculous how many use the “I don’t want it to hurt my football chances.” Or the classic for wrestling “I don’t wanna roll around with other guys, that’s gay.”

Two minutes on the mat with a top level wrestler will dispel either of those beliefs. Balance, hand fighting, toughness, fast twitch reactions, mental chess at high speeds, you name it and wrestling helps. 

War Eagle and now I really want this kid! I’ll make sure to give him a War Eagle at the state tournament this year.

To be honest, I don’t know how many high schools have a wrestling program. I know my school didn’t when I was in school.

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To be honest, I don’t know how many high schools have a wrestling program. I know my school didn’t when I was in school.

Sadly, it’s a sport that doesn’t have that glamour and therefore not the traction that the other biggies get except maybe Midwest and parts of Northeast. Great sport to teach all aspects of what makes for great athletes and competitors: strength, quickness, explosiveness, mental toughness. And, for a guy like me that just want blessed with physical gifts (ie size) to play other sports it allowed me to compete in the highest divisions of high school athletics in my state at a high level. All that said, I sat down to watch the NCAA championships with my girls a few years ago and after about one match they said “This is weird, Dad”, lol. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Depends on the state but in Florida it’s more likely that they do have a team than don’t. Alabama is growing but had a long time without many teams. Mississippi has almost none. Georgia has grown tremendously. Texas is starting to catch on with it.

Our problem in Florida is a lack of coverage by the media. Had a young man earn a state runner up title against the nations #1 high school wrestling recruit and crickets in our home town.

Meanwhile, the football team that has been 4-6 the last three years manages to win a snooze fest 7-3 and you’d think they won the super bowl. It’s a hard life but I love the kids the sport attracts. They’re not seeking glory, attention, or any of that. You can’t kind of want to wrestle, it’s too demanding, you have to love it.

Getting off my wrestling soap box now.

I like Putnam and I didn’t think we were still in it with him. He looks good in that orange and blue; Auburn has had some nice edits lately.

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Sadly, it’s a sport that doesn’t have that glamour and therefore not the traction that the other biggies get except maybe Midwest and parts of Northeast. Great sport to teach all aspects of what makes for great athletes and competitors: strength, quickness, explosiveness, mental toughness. And, for a guy like me that just want blessed with physical gifts (ie size) to play other sports it allowed me to compete in the highest divisions of high school athletics in my state at a high level. All that said, I sat down to watch the NCAA championships with my girls a few years ago and after about one match they said “This is weird, Dad”, lol. 

Same here, on the size thing. My brother was a 6’2” linebacker being recruited by numerous D1 colleges.

I somehow topped out at 5’8” and, though I loved football and could diagnose a play on defense quick as a whip, wasn’t making it very far weighing 145 lbs at the time. Wrestling was one of the only sports that accommodated a guy like me and it’s about as “fair” as it gets.

Girls wrestling is on the rise too! After we received our first women’s individual gold medal their has been rising interest. More girls, more likely title 9 won’t keep preventing a D1 wrestling team in Florida.

Our Olympic and World teams have actually been extremely dominant as of late!

I think a lot of football players did not wrestle because in many ways it was a tax on the body to lose as much weight as needed to compete at a better class.   Also,. If I remember correctly,. Wrestling season started in the winter and football players had just wrapped up their season so they were looking forward to a little down time...  

I used to love going to watch Swede Umbach's Auburn teams kick booty. You could always count on a win, unless Iowa State or one of those foreign teams came to visit. AU lineman Larry Hill wrestled at Alex City in high school and also for Auburn. In a thrilling match in Auburn, Hill beat previously undefeated bammer heavyweight John Hannah by one point. It was a great thing to see!

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

I think a lot of football players did not wrestle because in many ways it was a tax on the body to lose as much weight as needed to compete at a better class.   Also,. If I remember correctly,. Wrestling season started in the winter and football players had just wrapped up their season so they were looking forward to a little down time...  

The weight loss is tricky. If done correctly it’s not too hard to stay lean and maintain strength. Too many football coaches discourage wrestling for one reason or another.

Today’s reasoning has actually changed from when I was in high school. With all of these camps and 7-on7 tournaments football, like so many other sports, is slowly becoming closer and closer to being an all year thing. Basketball, wrestling, baseball, football, and I’m sure others have gotten to the point where, if you want to be better than good, you have to put in work almost all offseason. It’s tough on these kids and it’s becoming harder and harder to juggle.

I remember my sophomore year I was young enough to play for the recreational team, played for varsity, wrestled, did weightlifting, and even some cross country. Honestly it’s been the hardest year of my life even till this day.

Mom always insisted if we were doing sports all year then we had less time to be getting into touble.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I used to love going to watch Swede Umbach's Auburn teams kick booty. You could always count on a win, unless Iowa State or one of those foreign teams came to visit. AU lineman Larry Hill wrestled at Alex City in high school and also for Auburn. In a thrilling match in Auburn, Hill beat previously undefeated bammer heavyweight John Hannah by one point. It was a great thing to see!

What I wouldn’t give to bring Auburn wrestling back...would have been fun to wrestle there. UCF was cool but nothing like my original love lol.

maybe one day...

Archived