2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No thanks for me for Searles.  

Understood. But I think he can recruit and coaches a line with a nasty streak typically. Who would be your choice if you were making that hire (love an educated opinion instead of the one out of my a**, lol)?

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

Understood. But I think he can recruit and coaches a line with a nasty streak typically. Who would be your choice if you were making that hire (love an educated opinion instead of the one out of my a**, lol)?

I think he’s very average to below average concerning where he has been and the recruits he’s had over the years.  I don’t think it’s time for J.B. to go so never really thought about who I’d replace him with.  We’ll get some talented linemen under Grimes and we will develop them.  Will the fan base give him some time to do that?  I don’t know but I’m not sure what the fans expect from this team.  If they were expecting a national championship team they were mistaken.  Do I think we can be in the hunt late in the year? Possibly but we have to continue to improve and we have to have some break go our way.  But going into this season I along with most of the fans when taking emotion out of it saw 10-2 or 9-3.  I would say we are still on track if we get better.  If we don’t we could be looking at 8-4ish...

But whatever happens I’d fail to put blame for this season on JB but his guys have to get better and I think they will

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Who would be your choice if you were making that hire (love an educated opinion instead of the one out of my a**, lol)?

I know you weren't asking me, but...

On 7/25/2018 at 2:54 PM, bigbird said:

Alex Atkins (Tulane)

Ryan Silverfield (Memphis)

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

Will the fan base give him some time to do that?

Just curious, what is a realistic expectation for a timeline to develop a position group? I ask the question for this reason. Right now, we have the best and most complete QB weve had in a long while, but cant fully take advantage of him because of an underdeveloped O line. Next year, we will have a more experienced (and hopefully better developed) O line, but a new starter at QB. And that will likely be a “project” player or a true freshman. On the other side of the ball, we have a stellar front 7 with a new and often shaky group of DBs. Next year we will return a seasoned group of DBs, but have an almost completely new and inexperienced front 7. I realize that churn of players is part of CFB for every team.  It just seems to me that at some point, our coaches are going to have to figure out a way to better manage and accelerate  player development so we can put more consistent teams on the field. As a coach, what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Just curious, what is a realistic expectation for a timeline to develop a position group? I ask the question for this reason. Right now, we have the best and most complete QB weve had in a long while, but cant fully take advantage of him because of an underdeveloped O line. Next year, we will have a more experienced (and hopefully better developed) O line, but a new starter at QB. And that will likely be a “project” player or a true freshman. On the other side of the ball, we have a stellar front 7 with a new and often shaky group of DBs. Next year we will return a seasoned group of DBs, but have an almost completely new and inexperienced front 7. I realize that churn of players is part of CFB for every team.  It just seems to me that at some point, our coaches are going to have to figure out a way to better manage and accelerate  player development so we can put more consistent teams on the field. As a coach, what are your thoughts?

The fact that all our backup QBs are deemed “projects” should tell you something about the coaching. CGM could probably turn Tua himself into a “project.” Betcha Bo Nix becomes a “project.”

33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The fact that all our backup QBs are deemed “projects” should tell you something about the coaching. CGM could probably turn Tua himself into a “project.” Betcha Bo Nix becomes a “project.”

Calling the shot.  Bo Nix starts next season.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Calling the shot.  Bo Nix starts next season.

Think it’ll be Cord next season and we’ll redshirt Bo.

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Think it’ll be Cord next season and we’ll redshirt Bo.

I think you're right about Cord but I'm not sure how we redshirt Bo, unless Gus, Chip and Willis are all comfortable with him running 2 all season. I'm not even sure Willis is here next season. Or Gatewood, for that matter. 

Of course, with the new 4 game rule, maybe we could redshirt QB2. That would be pretty sweet. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I think you're right about Cord but I'm not sure how we redshirt Bo, unless Gus, Chip and Willis are all comfortable with him running 2 all season. I'm not even sure Willis is here next season. Or Gatewood, for that matter. 

Of course, with the new 4 game rule, maybe we could redshirt QB2. That would be pretty sweet. 

I’m with you on one of Joey and Malik being gone. I think this team will look very different by the end of the year on the offensive side of the ball.

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’m with you on one of Joey and Malik being gone. I think this team will look very different by the end of the year on the offensive side of the ball.

You can pump sunshine in my direction anytime, bro. I need all I can get. Sky's not falling but this is one of those weeks where the negatives seem more negative and the positives are harder to focus on. A comfy beatdown on Arkansas would do a lot to ease the pain. We'll see how the team responds. Gus has rallied the guys from worse before. And we do have some good leadership among the older guys. Lookee there, you're already making me feel better. Thanks, Clayton!

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You can pump sunshine in my direction anytime, bro. I need all I can get. Sky's not falling but this is one of those weeks where the negatives seem more negative and the positives are harder to focus on. A comfy beatdown on Arkansas would do a lot to ease the pain. We'll see how the team responds. Gus has rallied the guys from worse before. And we do have some good leadership among the older guys. Lookee there, you're already making me feel better. Thanks, Clayton!

That’s what I’m here for Loof!

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus has never had a team quit on him. Even in the toughest stretches of the worst seasons they have always continued to play hard for him.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Gus has never had a team quit on him. Even in the toughest stretches of the worst seasons they have always continued to play hard for him.

Agreed. Seems like days like Saturday are, in fact, often the catalyst for his best stretches. 

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. Seems like days like Saturday are, in fact, often the catalyst for his best stretches. 

I think days after losses in the Gus era on this site are some of the worst takes and negativity of all time (just a general statement not you). But, the sun still comes up and life goes on whether we win or lose. Gus and co. Typically bounce back always. 

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would say it depends on the player but a general rule to know the small details and have the confidence you need to be a good to dominate player would be 12-15 games started and playing the majority of the snaps.  And as the adage goes the further away from the football the easier it gets.  

Thats my take and experience over the years.  However speaking directly about the OL I expect them to be in the “solid” category by the time we get to the aTm game 

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

And on the QB situation last year was our year.  Talent yet underachieving OL, talented RBs, experienced WRs.  Very good defense.  A very tough schedule but our rivals at home.  

No one wants to hear it put this way but I’d say 2021 is probably our next good shot at a legit MNC run.  But we have to get talent in and develop them.  The only holes I see is OT, QB, and running back.  We need 1 Elite QB this year which we have.  We need 2 very solid QBs next year.  And we need an elite running back either this year or next.  We need 2 solid OTs this year, 2 very good-elite OTs next year and a 3rd OT that has good upside.  Keep recruiting going at normal level at the other positions 

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

And on the QB situation last year was our year.  Talent yet underachieving OL, talented RBs, experienced WRs.  Very good defense.  A very tough schedule but our rivals at home.  

No one wants to hear it put this way but I’d say 2021 is probably our next good shot at a legit MNC run.  But we have to get talent in and develop them.  The only holes I see is OT, QB, and running back.  We need 1 Elite QB this year which we have.  We need 2 very solid QBs next year.  And we need an elite running back either this year or next.  We need 2 solid OTs this year, 2 very good-elite OTs next year and a 3rd OT that has good upside.  Keep recruiting going at normal level at the other positions 

Agreed. That's what's so frustrating about this past Saturday and our schedule this season. This is an open window year with this QB and front 7 on defense. We just can't afford any bad luck with this schedule and we just used up lives 1-8. 

24 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I would say it depends on the player but a general rule to know the small details and have the confidence you need to be a good to dominate player would be 12-15 games started and playing the majority of the snaps.  And as the adage goes the further away from the football the easier it gets.  

Thats my take and experience over the years.  However speaking directly about the OL I expect them to be in the “solid” category by the time we get to the aTm game 

Thanks @corchjay  your insight is always appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I think days after losses in the Gus era on this site are some of the worst takes and negativity of all time (just a general statement not you). But, the sun still comes up and life goes on whether we win or lose. Gus and co. Typically bounce back always. 

Sports are a pillow to be screamed into when things are bad and an excuse to take your pants off in public when things are good. They're a release valve. 

But you're right. Sometimes it mutates into sheer stupidity. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

an excuse to take your pants off in public when things are good. They're a release valve. 

Wow, cool. I thought I was the only one that did the pants thing

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

Wow, cool. I thought I was the only one that did the pants thing

I actually did after the Kick Six, but not in public. I didn't know what else to do. 

My wife is a very kind, forgiving woman. 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sports are a pillow to be screamed into when things are bad and an excuse to take your pants off in public when things are good. They're a release valve. 

But you're right. Sometimes it mutates into sheer stupidity. 

When the Braves win the World Series and Atlanta United wins the cup in the same year, my pants will be completely off for multiple days 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

When the Braves win the World Series and Atlanta United wins the cup in the same year, my pants will be completely off for multiple days 

Preach.

I did not stay up for that United win last night but it sounds like I missed a doozy. That Tito goal, ay yay yay

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Preach.

I did not stay up for that United win last night but it sounds like I missed a doozy. That Tito goal, ay yay yay

Then Josef put us ahead. It was amazing. I turned it off after they went up 3-1 but then turned it back on. What a game!

Archived