Auburn Players Drafted

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Any idea what the dimensions at that field in Oklahoma are?  I ask because I see high school fields here in Texas that have larger dimensions than Plainsman Park, so would like some more context before holding that against him.

As for natural position and not being able to lay off the off-speed stuff, I agree with you there.  Still a little surprised no one took a late round flier though to try and work with him on that.  Most of the time those guys never make it past A ball anyway.

Dry air....hot baseballs....maybe like Denver?      Whatever,...... when he got down here, he left all that power back in Oklahoma it seems.  Looking around MLB these days and even infielders are big....with only a few exceptions. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony has had an incredible resurgence late in the season. He hit a season-low .246 during the Bama series. But a commentator mentioned his game 2,  9th inning at bat as possibly a turning point for Anthony, and the commentator seems to have been spot on. Anthony had a solid opposite field single between the first and second basemen, something we hadn't seen much from him in his career. Since that 9th inning single, Anthony is hitting .383 (31-81) in 23 games with 18 runs scored, 19 RBI, 9 walks, 13 Ks (only 5 K in the last 14 games), 7 doubles, and 2 HRs. All of that is coming from the 9-hole. What he's done to remake himself as a hitter is as impressive as anyone on this team, and he's a huge reason why this offense has had the late season turnaround it has had.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Any idea what the dimensions at that field in Oklahoma are?  I ask because I see high school fields here in Texas that have larger dimensions than Plainsman Park, so would like some more context before holding that against him.

As for natural position and not being able to lay off the off-speed stuff, I agree with you there.  Still a little surprised no one took a late round flier though to try and work with him on that.  Most of the time those guys never make it past A ball anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I suspect he is a fantastic locker room guy for obvious and not so obvious reasons.  I also believe his experience brings with it a tremendous calming effect on his younger teammates, which is part of the elusive "chemistry" component that influence how teams go in different circumstances.  This cannot be overestimated in my opinion.  The reality is that he grades out at or below average on all but one area...he is a slight + on arm strength.  As for the field at WOSC, it is 317 down the line in left and 360 to dead center.  And there's not a 40' fence....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Dry air....hot baseballs....maybe like Denver?      Whatever,...... when he got down here, he left all that power back in Oklahoma it seems.  Looking around MLB these days and even infielders are big....with only a few exceptions. 

Just about every guy on a junior college mound in America is trying to prove he has the velocity to overpower.  They believe if they touch 90 on the gun they have a chance to advance and it is a mostly one dimensional approach to pitching.  If a hitter has a decent amount of bat speed (or can simply time it up), the fastball can be had.

In terms of body size, I am blown away by where catchers are getting to.  Look at the number two overall this year...just like Wieters before him.  Almost.

Image result for joey bart

43 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Don't get me wrong, I suspect he is a fantastic locker room guy for obvious and not so obvious reasons.  I also believe his experience brings with it a tremendous calming effect on his younger teammates, which is part of the elusive "chemistry" component that influence how teams go in different circumstances.  This cannot be overestimated in my opinion.  The reality is that he grades out at or below average on all but one area...he is a slight + on arm strength.  As for the field at WOSC, it is 317 down the line in left and 360 to dead center.  And there's not a 40' fence....

Whoa, that is a really small yard.  Reminds me of Asheville's stadium.

5 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I went to WSCC Hanceville before AUburn. It’s been a strong program for a long time. Nice facilities for a JUCO. 

Better than many D1 facilities.  

27 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Better than many D1 facilities.  

I think they take their baseball seriously there....

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Whoa, that is a really small yard.  Reminds me of Asheville's stadium.

Ha, the 7A powerhouse here in Georgia is Parkview who won another state title this year and has produced Jeff Francouer, Clint Sammons, Matt Olson (11 players drafted in the last ten years) is 303' at both poles and 358 to center.  I've seen bunts go out of that place in the days of the BESR bats <_< 

43 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Ha, the 7A powerhouse here in Georgia is Parkview who won another state title this year and has produced Jeff Francouer, Clint Sammons, Matt Olson (11 players drafted in the last ten years) is 303' at both poles and 358 to center.  I've seen bunts go out of that place in the days of the BESR bats <_< 

That's nuts.  I grew up going to games at Coors Field pre-humidor.  Saw many a pop-ups leave the yard.  

Seems like a big difference between other places and the HS yards I've seen here in central-Texas.  The team I did some work for, their home field is 330 down the lines and 400 to dead center.  You have to really catch one to get it out.  Others were about the same down the lines and maybe 380-390 to center.

7 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He is apparently a fantastic kid, but he has some serious flaws in his game...no natural position (not big enough, lefty enough for 1B) and he simply cannot stay in/on the off speed pitch away.  As for the "raw power", he hit a bunch of home runs on essentially a high school field at Western Oklahoma...he's hit 6 in 440 AB's at Auburn.  The retraction from the Braves may have been the best thing that ever happened to him since that allowed him to get his degree from AU.

That just kills me because he has worked so hard to improve.....but that degree is priceless.

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

Anthony has had an incredible resurgence late in the season. He hit a season-low .246 during the Bama series. But a commentator mentioned his game 2,  9th inning at bat as possibly a turning point for Anthony, and the commentator seems to have been spot on. Anthony had a solid opposite field single between the first and second basemen, something we hadn't seen much from him in his career. Since that 9th inning single, Anthony is hitting .383 (31-81) in 23 games with 18 runs scored, 19 RBI, 9 walks, 13 Ks (only 5 K in the last 14 games), 7 doubles, and 2 HRs. All of that is coming from the 9-hole. What he's done to remake himself as a hitter is as impressive as anyone on this team, and he's a huge reason why this offense has had the late season turnaround it has had.

Hitting .383 in the last 1/3 of the season ... from the 9 hole!  That is solid.  If our 7 and 8 batters will pick it up a touch, his numbers would be that much better.  Hope he keeps it up.  His D at first has been great.  Some of his picks I don’t think venter would have been able to snag.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Looks like Venter has signed with the Braves. In other words, we need a first and third baseman, stat....

Modest bonus after Uncle Sam gets his share but  expect that's been his dream for quite a while though.

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Looks like Venter has signed with the Braves. In other words, we need a first and third baseman, stat....

Third baseman is probably going to come from one of these players: Rankin Woley, Devin Warner, Ryan Bliss (most likely Woley). First baseman sounds like Conor Davis and Steven Williams will get looks there along with incoming freshman Troy Bearden.

I see Casey being wise with his money and will be a star for the Tigers in the not too distant future. A star is born!

Archived