Auburn Players Drafted

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Unfortunately that is the set of money that is to be spread out over the first the players drafted in the first 10 rounds.    I’m sure he will get a nice chunk, but it’s not that much

No, that is the value of the first overall pick.  Detroit's TOTAL pool is $12,414,800.  Mize won't get that full amount because very rarely dose the 1st pick get it anyway (there isn't much leverage for #1 overall picks to threaten to do anything), but he will sign for over $7 million.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Huh? Are or are not?

They’re not expected back unless they go undrafted and don’t have the option to leave. Both know they won’t be drafted very highly, but they have more leverage now than they will after next year. 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hard figuring where the line is

Not really. Kids drafted in the top ten rounds have normally indicated to their area Scout that they’re signing. After that you have some JRs that are ready to go if they are drafted period like Venter & Wright as Boom has alluded to. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not really. Kids drafted in the top ten rounds have normally indicated to their area Scout that they’re signing. After that you have some JRs that are ready to go if they are drafted period like Venter & Wright as Boom has alluded to. 

JMO but jumping out of college to play Rookie League or Class A ball for peanuts at this point, is not a good decision....that's always available to them.   After getting this far along in school, if I were a coach, I'd have a conversation about "life" and not just baseball...and the value of finishing the degree and long term prospects...

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but jumping out of college to play Rookie League or Class A ball for peanuts at this point, is not a good decision....that's always available to them.   After getting this far along in school, if I were a coach, I'd have a conversation about "life" and not just baseball...and the value of finishing the degree and long term prospects...

Sure, but there are two things working against kids in that scenario:

1) They will have zero negotiating power with pro clubs regarding a signing bonus if they come back for a senior season.

2) Baseball players don't get full rides.  Could be an expense thing for needing to leave.

15 hours ago, boomstick said:

Yeah, doubt there’s much to worry about with signees or commits now. Sounds like Wright and Venter are planning to leave unless it’s just not an option to go pro. 

Where is this information from? 

47 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) They will have zero negotiating power with pro clubs regarding a signing bonus if they come back for a senior season.

2) Baseball players don't get full rides.  Could be an expense thing for needing to leave.

Guess that could be true but if they are having money issues, should be something like Pell Grants to help out.....but in the lower rounds of the draft the players have little leverage anyway.  And they end up competing in the minors against a bunch of 18 year-olds from Dominican or Venezuela and other places where kids will play in the US just to get out of their countries.   

You know the game....and I've been to a bunch of Myrtle Beach Pelican (high A) games over the years and see what the roster looks like, where the players come from.....and the schedule.   I'm guessing that for college kids, about a season or two at the lower levels is enough to remove the glamour image from playing professional baseball. ..probably not treated as well as they were in college... 

By the way...Keegan Thompson is pitching there and doing pretty well....

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess that could be true but if they are having money issues, should be something like Pell Grants to help out.....but in the lower rounds of the draft the players have little leverage anyway.  And they end up competing in the minors against a bunch of 18 year-olds from Dominican or Venezuela and other places where kids will play in the US just to get out of their countries.   

You know the game....and I've been to a bunch of Myrtle Beach Pelican (high A) games over the years and see what the roster looks like, where the players come from.....and the schedule.   I'm guessing that for college kids, about a season or two at the lower levels is enough to remove the glamour image from playing professional baseball. ..probably not treated as well as they were in college... 

By the way...Keegan Thompson is pitching there and doing pretty well....

Eh, they're treated like professionals once they get to those lower levels. Every player, no matter draft round, is expected to show up to the park around 1-2 for a 7 pm game, put in a bunch of early work, then go through BP, etc.  There's a ton of down time in there too, so lots of card playing in the clubhouse.  It's certainly not glamourous though.  Lots of long bus rides and stays in some mediocre hotels.  Most of them live 3-4 to an apartment, but some get to stay for free with a local host family if they so choose.  Of course, that latter option puts a damper on any "extracurricular activity" if you catch my drift.

The biggest transition may be food honestly.  In college ball, players can get food after a game provided by the schools.  In pro, it's tough cookies.  Play an extra inning game and you're pretty much stuck with hoping that a fast food place has something open afterwards near your hotel.  Occasionally there is a spread on the road in the clubhouse, but not often.  Our team was a bit spoiled at home as they always had a spread waiting on them after the game (usually leftover BBQ chicken or hot dogs), which isn't too common in A-ball.   Oh, and LOTS of PB&Js during the day while waiting for the game to start.  That food transition is really tough on Latin kids too.  We had some guys who would actually bring their own cooking devices and make rice/tacos/etc in their rooms because they didn't like McDonalds/American style food.  Also helped them pool money and save their per diems that way.  Worst part for all of the players is they have to do it on about $20-$25 per day per diem when on the road.  Sadly, I had it better than players when it came to eating.  I got fed in the press box every night for free and received a higher per diem.

Glad to hear that Keegan is doing well down there.  Hope that continues for him.

3 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Where is this information from? 

1 is the one I mentioned earlier. BMatt is the other I have seen.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also some teams hold money back or do not end up signing some picks so Venter & Wright could still easily get $100 k. That's a lot of peanuts.

27 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Davis Daniel drafted by the Brewers in the 11th.

Mixed info here. Kendal Rogers tweeted he expects DD back. 1 close to AU doesn't think he returns. Brewers wouldn't have drafted himso high if they weren't prepared to put money into him. This will be interesting.

12 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Brendan Venter drafted by the Braves in the 13th

3 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Andrew Mitchell to the Mets in the 14th round

Good bye boys & thank you for your time on The Plains!

2 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Davis Daniel drafted by the Brewers in the 11th.

I hope this guy comes back to AU. He has tons of un-tapped potential. Don't know his thinking, but he's just a soph. He could move way up in next year's draft and he'd still have some leverage at that point.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hope this guy comes back to AU. He has tons of un-tapped potential. Don't know his thinking, but he's just a soph. He could move way up in next year's draft and he'd still have some leverage at that point.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Especially if he becomes a dominant closer like AU is thinking of using him at next season.

DD's 97 mph fastball and glimpses of serious potential, might have the pro club put some money into him.  I just cant help but think that thompson/smith will find a way to make him more successful in college and much more money this time next year.  did i mention 97 mph fastball.  if he could develop his off speed pitch for consistent strikes ... dude will make some money as a closer.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Why did I think they had to stay 3 years once they decided to come to college? 

Archived