Auburn Players Drafted

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Signee Kason Howell goes in the 20th Round to the Red Sox in a surprise.

What's it looking like with him still coming? 20th round isn't bad, but I'm sure if he has a good 3 years here, he can improve on that. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Signee Kason Howell goes in the 20th Round to the Red Sox in a surprise.

Doesn't make much sense to me for these kids out of HS to go without some serious money. Enough to cover a college education in the future if it doesn't pan out.

7 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Why did I think they had to stay 3 years once they decided to come to college? 

He's a draft-eligible sophomore because he's already 21

19 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

And Josh Anthony. Hate it for him. Didn't he get drafted decently high before coming to AU? 

16th round by the Braves

28 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

And Josh Anthony. Hate it for him. Didn't he get drafted decently high before coming to AU? 

9 minutes ago, AUEagle14 said:

16th round by the Braves

And they miscalculated the money they thought they had for him. He would have gone pro with the money he thought they was giving but they had to pull some back.

53 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

What's it looking like with him

Looking like he will come to Auburn

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m excited about Bliss and Howell. Wade will be great to have too, but those two guys as position players will be fun to watch...

Don’t forget Rankin Woley.He’s a former LSU player that signed with Auburn. He was an RBI a machine this past season In community college.

Gah, I hate it for Jay and Josh. Hopefully they sign with someone and prove the doubters wrong. Estes has been consistent both years he's been here. And Anthony has been our hottest bat lately it seems like. I especially hate it for JA because he turned down pro ball to come here. And he seems like a genuine, good-hearted dude. Hope both of them ball out this weekend, more so than I already did. They deserve to get a shot and get picked up. 

37 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Gah, I hate it for Jay and Josh. Hopefully they sign with someone and prove the doubters wrong. Estes has been consistent both years he's been here. And Anthony has been our hottest bat lately it seems like. I especially hate it for JA because he turned down pro ball to come here. And he seems like a genuine, good-hearted dude. Hope both of them ball out this weekend, more so than I already did. They deserve to get a shot and get picked up. 

Considering JA's glove and raw power, I'm surprised someone didn't take a flier on him late.

41 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Technically, yes Josh did turn it down, but it was also kind of taken away from him. Remember he initially was going to sign with the Braves until they had to retract their offer and come back with much less than what they had said. That’s what makes me even more upset for him is that he tried to play pro ball but he just wasn’t able to

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, they're treated like professionals once they get to those lower levels. Every player, no matter draft round, is expected to show up to the park around 1-2 for a 7 pm game, put in a bunch of early work, then go through BP, etc.  There's a ton of down time in there too, so lots of card playing in the clubhouse.  It's certainly not glamourous though.  Lots of long bus rides and stays in some mediocre hotels.  Most of them live 3-4 to an apartment, but some get to stay for free with a local host family if they so choose. 

Good description.....that's what I understand....and if the Myrtle Beach situation is any indication, about every week or two there are players sent up or down ….and constant changing of team mates probably does not allow much development of friendships....meal money is basic and on it goes. But they are professional ...no question...but I'm suggesting that the life of an SEC baseball player is better than a Rookie League, Class A or even High A professional player....and for many, most of the players, the money is not that great either.      MB stadium is pretty nice...about the same as a good SEC park.

Keegan played a couple games in Oregon last year in a "short league" and looks like he was assigned to MB at the start of the season....has 10 starts this year so far and is in the top half of league pitchers......JMO but if he continues at this rate he will be up to a AA later in the year.  Tennessee Smokies in Knoxville.  

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Don’t forget Rankin Woley.He’s a former LSU player that signed with Auburn. He was an RBI a machine this past season In community college.

Don’t think Rankin hasn’t signed yet. He’s committed, but I believe he was waiting on the draft and the current roster to see what he was going to do. He didn’t get drafted and both of our 3B are leaving. So, I think that really works into our favor. Supposedly, he might be able to play C too. We’re apparently really searching for a C right now. 

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m excited about Bliss and Howell. Wade will be great to have too, but those two guys as position players will be fun to watch...

I think both could have a serious impact next year. The OF is wide open next year and Howell could factor in there. And there’s a strong likelihood that four of the five infield positons will need to be replaced. Guys like Julien, Bliss, Warner, and Woley could all factor into those open positions. 

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Don’t think Rankin hasn’t signed yet. He’s committed, but I believe he was waiting on the draft and the current roster to see what he was going to do. He didn’t get drafted and both of our 3B are leaving. So, I think that really works into our favor. Supposedly, he might be able to play C too. We’re apparently really searching for a C right now. 

Steven Williams could go back to catcher, you would think. 

6 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

It sounds like the coaches aren’t really high on him as a catcher. Maybe he gets another shot there this fall, but it seems like we’re planning to keep him at a corner OF spot or maybe 1B. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Staff doesn't see him as an everyday catcher right now. That's why almost near the 1st thing Nonemaker did when he came to AU was go get Brett Wright from juco & why SW only had 9 starts at C this season & almost all early in the season. My guess is unless we can't find someone the staff is comfortable with he spends most of his AU carrier in the OF. Of the current class so far Troy Beardon & Woley are the only ones I've seen with some catcher experience.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Staff doesn't see him as an everyday catcher right now. That's why almost near the 1st thing Nonemaker did when he came to AU was go get Brett Wright from juco & why SW only had 9 starts at C this season & almost all early in the season. My guess is unless we can't find someone the staff is comfortable with he spends most of his AU carrier in the OF. Of the current class so far Troy Beardon & Woley are the only ones I've seen with some catcher experience.

I would think Brett Wright would be back next year. 26th round I think could be improved on. I guess he does lose his leverage though after this year 

7 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I would think Brett Wright would be back next year. 26th round I think could be improved on.

As discussed already in the thread BW is likely gone.

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I guess he does lose his leverage though after this year 

And that's why.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:28 PM, boomstick said:

Blake Rivera, JUCO RHP from Wallace-Hanceville, was drafted in the 4th round by the San Francisco Giants. I’d be pretty surprised if Rivera came to Auburn now. Slot value is about $528,000. 

I went to WSCC Hanceville before AUburn. It’s been a strong program for a long time. Nice facilities for a JUCO. 

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

It sounds like the coaches aren’t really high on him as a catcher. Maybe he gets another shot there this fall, but it seems like we’re planning to keep him at a corner OF spot or maybe 1B. 

Would be nice to have some more speed in the outfield.....

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Considering JA's glove and raw power, I'm surprised someone didn't take a flier on him late.

He is apparently a fantastic kid, but he has some serious flaws in his game...no natural position (not big enough, lefty enough for 1B) and he simply cannot stay in/on the off speed pitch away.  As for the "raw power", he hit a bunch of home runs on essentially a high school field at Western Oklahoma...he's hit 6 in 440 AB's at Auburn.  The retraction from the Braves may have been the best thing that ever happened to him since that allowed him to get his degree from AU.

40 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He is apparently a fantastic kid, but he has some serious flaws in his game...no natural position (not big enough, lefty enough for 1B) and he simply cannot stay in/on the off speed pitch away.  As for the "raw power", he hit a bunch of home runs on essentially a high school field at Western Oklahoma...he's hit 6 in 440 AB's at Auburn.  The retraction from the Braves may have been the best thing that ever happened to him since that allowed him to get his degree from AU.

Any idea what the dimensions at that field in Oklahoma are?  I ask because I see high school fields here in Texas that have larger dimensions than Plainsman Park, so would like some more context before holding that against him.

As for natural position and not being able to lay off the off-speed stuff, I agree with you there.  Still a little surprised no one took a late round flier though to try and work with him on that.  Most of the time those guys never make it past A ball anyway.

Archived