walk-on wide receiver arrested

aubiefifty

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Tubbs did indeed have trouble with the media and it was also on a national level. Brent Musberger got his knickers in a knot during an AU vs LSU game. Glenn Dorsey was injured during an inadvertent chop block by a knuckleheaded AU freshman IIRC and Brent went on about it for years on national television. There was a lot written about it in the papers and the AU player and his family got death threats. Tubbs apologized to LSU's coach and to Dorsey and so did the AU player. But after that Musberger always managed to talk about Auburn in a tone of voice most people use when talking about cockroaches. He made it clear that he disliked Auburn and that never stopped. Also IIRC....that same player was Chaz Ramsey, who went on to be a bad publicity thorn in the side for Auburn and Coach Tubbs for several years with his lawsuits.

There was also the infamous Petrino plane trip, and the disastrous season that caused him to leave. Kirk Herbstreit did a whole segment on Tubbs getting run off from Auburn. None of this was good press. Tubbs also got torn apart in the papers over the Tony Franklin fiasco.  Not sure where you get the idea that he was beloved. That just isn't true.  He also got man-handled by the media out in Texas, and his wife had a terrible time with the press after her car accident.

The bad press really got started with the Eric Ramsey case and it has never stopped. bammer has done much worse of course, but it's amazing how the media at all levels can ignore that. 

Yet the press took it easy in my opinion on whatever xanax induced problem Urban Meyer had at Florida.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The woe-is-little-brother is strong in this thread. 

Nothing to be done. Media hates us and is the root of all evil. No point in the coach even trying to work with them a little. And no reason that he should because we don't need the media to like us. We just whine about it all the time for sport. 

We don't win consistently, we've had plenty of off-field issues over the years and we do our best to avoid talking to the media at all. We get the respect and the treatment we earn. 

Here's the reality, Loof. Auburn is the upstart. We have always been the upstart. We aren't small enough to be Cinderella, so instead we are a thorn in the side of the fans of the schools with more wide spread tradition. It's no coincidence that the announcers in games always seem to root against us. We upset the apple cart and they don't like it.

Then, in 2010, the whole world turned against us because of a rival lead smear campaign, but something unbelievable happened... we were found completely innocent... something that had never happened at any other school and hasn't happened since. That left A LOT of people with egg on their face and a desperate, insatiable desire to prove that we are dirty.

To add to that, our biggest rival has a very successful journalism school with a pipeline to the major sports media outlets, which keeps them full of writers/editors/managers who are more than happy to let the bashing continue.

So, yea, you can blame the fact that we don't get along with the media on Gus or Jacobs, and believe that Greene can fix it, but as long as we keep slaying giants we're going to be called cheaters and people are going to keep taking shots at us any chance they get. And as long as we are in the state of Alabama, the local media is going to push the bama good/Auburn bad agenda, because that's what pays their bills. Greene can be all buddy, buddy with any writer he wants and it won't change that fact. 

The most I hope for with Greene is when the fake negative stuff comes out, he squashes it faster than the previous regime and that he will limit some of the real negative stuff.

Oh... and ask yourself this.  How quick did the Penn State and Baylor things blow over? You almost never hear about either anymore, yet we constantly hear about stuff we did... or were just accused of, years, even decades later.

37 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Was this the fake ID you used?

Image result for ancient stone carving

Not long after this he become close friends with his neighbor Barney and went to work for a guy Mr. Slate?

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So, yea, you can blame the fact that we don't get along with the media on Gus or Jacobs, and believe that Greene can fix it, but as long as we keep slaying giants we're going to be called cheaters and people are going to keep taking shots at us any chance they get.

I'm well aware that the state media favor bama. At no point did I suggest otherwise. All I've said- and I've said it a LOT of times now- is that we could make it better. And, actually, slaying more giants- and not embarrassing ourselves against non-giants- is one great way to do that. It is so pathetic to suggest that we wouldn't get better treatment by being a better team and by actually trying to work with the media. Like, it's insane, and I can't believe I'm still trying to argue this. So I'll stop. Now.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Oh... and ask yourself this.  How quick did the Penn State and Baylor things blow over? You almost never hear about either anymore, yet we constantly hear about stuff we did... or were just accused of, years, even decades later.

I've heard quite a bit about Penn State in the last year. Because I know many Penn State fans. They can't have a CFB conversation without somebody cracking a Paterno/Sandusky joke. I don't envy them one bit. They're in WAY worse shape than we are, and for good reason. And nobody cares about Baylor outside of Waco. They had their moment with RGIII and it's over, just like Louisville's probably is now that Lamar Jackson is gone. And you hear about Auburn stuff because you're an Auburn fan. This, again, seems kind of obvious. It doesn't help that Cam Newton is only a couple years removed from being the NFL MVP, having a really, really bad Superbowl and subsequent post-game meltdown, and then making a sexist comment to a female reporter right as the #MeToo movement was cranking up. (RGIII is now persona non-grata... ) Please don't make me list all the other reasons why Auburn has remained extraordinarily more compelling than Baylor (or Penn State, except for that one really big thing) since 2010.

Everyone thinks their team is more important than it is. Except bama fans. They're right, at least as long as they keep winning titles at a historic clip. 

Media doesn't like it when they're wrong. And we consistently prove the media wrong -- whether we outperform expectations or make "experts" look like idiots by having a flaming flop of a season when they pick us to do well.

This makes them look bad, so they get cranky and sensitive about it. So now they become a little bitter towards AU and when they have an opportunity to take a shot they won't hesitate.

Stephen A. Smith one time lit into the Washington Wizards after they lost a game he had predicted them to win. And one of his points for being so mad at them was they made him look stupid for picking them. I couldn't believe he said that on TV and IMO that was a true peek behind the curtain about what drives certain journalists to be have certain biases towards or against particular teams/coaches/players/etc.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Media doesn't like it when they're wrong. And we consistently prove the media wrong -- whether we outperform expectations or make "experts" look like idiots by having a flaming flop of a season when they pick us to do well.

This makes them look bad, so they get cranky and sensitive about it. So now they become a little bitter towards AU and when they have an opportunity to take a shot they won't hesitate.

Stephen A. Smith one time lit into the Washington Wizards after they lost a game he had predicted them to win. And one of his points for being so mad at them was they made him look stupid for picking them. I couldn't believe he said that on TV and IMO that was a true peek behind the curtain about what drives certain journalists to be have certain biases towards or against particular teams/coaches/players/etc.

One more reason.

A lot of reasons.

None of them are "everyone hates Auburn forever the end".

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One more reason.

A lot of reasons.

None of them are "everyone hates Auburn forever the end".

Wow... really? he just said the EXACT same thing I said using different words.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Wow... really? he just said the EXACT same thing I said using different words.

I just re-read both your post and his and didn't see very much similarity at all. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I just re-read both your post and his and didn't see very much similarity at all. 

Ok... 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Alas.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/160929-2018-regular-season-projection/?do=findComment&comment=2861770 (posted elsewhere, a bit back)

GY3gZxy.gif

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

What? No Gif? Now I'm really hurt.

You're right.

Now here's your gif.

tumblr_orvgqmo2NJ1ul06x7o4_r2_400.gif

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm well aware that the state media favor bama. At no point did I suggest otherwise. All I've said- and I've said it a LOT of times now- is that we could make it better. And, actually, slaying more giants- and not embarrassing ourselves against non-giants- is one great way to do that. It is so pathetic to suggest that we wouldn't get better treatment by being a better team and by actually trying to work with the media. Like, it's insane, and I can't believe I'm still trying to argue this. So I'll stop. Now.

I've heard quite a bit about Penn State in the last year. Because I know many Penn State fans. They can't have a CFB conversation without somebody cracking a Paterno/Sandusky joke. I don't envy them one bit. They're in WAY worse shape than we are, and for good reason. And nobody cares about Baylor outside of Waco. They had their moment with RGIII and it's over, just like Louisville's probably is now that Lamar Jackson is gone. And you hear about Auburn stuff because you're an Auburn fan. This, again, seems kind of obvious. It doesn't help that Cam Newton is only a couple years removed from being the NFL MVP, having a really, really bad Superbowl and subsequent post-game meltdown, and then making a sexist comment to a female reporter right as the #MeToo movement was cranking up. (RGIII is now persona non-grata... ) Please don't make me list all the other reasons why Auburn has remained extraordinarily more compelling than Baylor (or Penn State, except for that one really big thing) since 2010.

Everyone thinks their team is more important than it is. Except bama fans. They're right, at least as long as they keep winning titles at a historic clip. 

Personally....I didn't think Cam's remark was all that sexist. I actually think he was right...it was a very rare question from a female reporter.  I've heard much much worse, and it was totally blown out of proportion. He meant well and it was not anything mean or vulgar. That reporter used him to get her 15 minutes. BTW....that remark has nothing to do with the #MeToo movement. There was nothing close to sexual abuse involved.  Cam didn't really have a melt down but it was a moment in which he was justifiably heart broken and he chose to walk away because he felt overwhelmed and didn't want to lose control. That was certainly no reason to crucify him. If Peyton Manning had done the same thing he would be praised for it.

22 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

First time I use a fake ID was to get into a strip joint in Atl 15 years old. Heck 5 of my friends used the same ID to get in

Don't tell me this was you in there...

On 6/7/2018 at 12:49 PM, Tigerbelle said:

Personally....I didn't think Cam's remark was all that sexist. I actually think he was right...it was a very rare question from a female reporter.  I've heard much much worse, and it was totally blown out of proportion. He meant well and it was not anything mean or vulgar. That reporter used him to get her 15 minutes. BTW....that remark has nothing to do with the #MeToo movement. There was nothing close to sexual abuse involved.  Cam didn't really have a melt down but it was a moment in which he was justifiably heart broken and he chose to walk away because he felt overwhelmed and didn't want to lose control. That was certainly no reason to crucify him. If Peyton Manning had done the same thing he would be praised for it.

Totally concur.   When I listened to what Cam said, you could hear sincere surprise in his voice.   And I am guessing not many female reporters asked such detailed questions.   In my weird way, it was a compliment.   Cam prob didn't have a lot of female reporters in prior seasons....I know he didn't at Auburn.   

People honestly LOOK for reasons to wave a SJW flag and I am tired of it.  It's like little kids on a playground wanting to get another kid in trouble.  Pathetic - 

20 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Totally concur.   When I listened to what Cam said, you could hear sincere surprise in his voice.   And I am guessing not many female reporters asked such detailed questions.   In my weird way, it was a compliment.   Cam prob didn't have a lot of female reporters in prior seasons....I know he didn't at Auburn.   

People honestly LOOK for reasons to wave a SJW flag and I am tired of it.  It's like little kids on a playground wanting to get another kid in trouble.  Pathetic - 

Forgive me,

SJW?

14 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Forgive me,

SJW?

Social Justice Warrior

Discussing will just force you into a political ditch unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Forgive me,

SJW?

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Social Justice Warrior

Popular pejorative for those triggered by political correctness.

Combine that with being an Auburn fan and you're going to get a suuuuper objective read on Cam's weird comments.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Popular pejorative for those triggered by political correctness.

Combine that with being an Auburn fan and you're going to get a suuuuper objective read on Cam's weird comments.

Ah yes.... objectivity.  What's that again?

Call ME big & ugly?  I either ignore you.....or kick your ass.

Call a SJW ugly?  They slam you on every social media platform available, slam you on every liberal news outlet available, harass you at home and at work, call your boss, call the police....

OMG!  Was I just triggered?

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

You won't hear me say this often, but

Sorry I asked?

The apology should fall to me. This isn't the politics forum. 

Archived