Coach Flo Extended to 22-23 Season

Weagle98

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html

AUBURN ATHLETICS EXTENDS CONTRACT FOR WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACH TERRI WILLIAMS-FLOURNOY

June 5, 2018

Auburn Athletics has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.

"Over the past few years, the women's basketball team has established a foundational level of success upon which we can build," Director of Athletics Allen Greene said. "Coach Flo will be given the support she needs to meet our commitment of putting our student-athletes into a position where they can compete for championships."

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017. In 15 seasons as a collegiate head coach, Williams-Flournoy has a record of 245-194 and five NCAA Tournament appearances.

"I would like to thank President Leath, my athletics director Allen Greene, and the entire administration for having the utmost confidence in me to continue the mission I started six years ago, which is to lead Auburn women's basketball to sustained success that will ultimately culminate in championships," Williams-Flournoy said. "We are creating a winning culture both on and off the court, and we have barely scratched the surface on what we will accomplish here." 

I like Coach Flo, easy to talk with, great person - but I'm not sure about this move.  If JJ had done it, this board would be in meltdown mode.  I know she has a good class coming in, hope this turns out to be a brilliant move.

Think it was a pretty easy move for Greene especially being new. Like 4aual said if JJ had done it holy heck would have happen. Gives her some security and maybe some miracle will happen. At the moment WBB is low on the ladder and the money is nothing compared to Gus and Bruce......jmo

I agree with the "barely scratching the surface" part. 

Ow9qE_s-200x150.gif

Very surprised by this move because given her first 6 years, it will take a miracle for us to see AU WBB in the upper echelon of the SEC. Might be an easy one for Greene but just don't see it based on her 6 years.

dont know what her salary is, but i assume it is pocket change for the athletic deptartment.  this allows greene to kick the WBB can down the road a year or 2 and if things dont have an upturn then he fires her and pays her buyout.  low risk move at the moment.  there is lots of positives in the athletic dept moving forward.  based on the rumored recent turmoil in WBB, maybe this was the lesser of the evils?

8 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

dont know what her salary is, but i assume it is pocket change for the athletic deptartment.  this allows greene to kick the WBB can down the road a year or 2 and if things dont have an upturn then he fires her and pays her buyout.  low risk move at the moment.  there is lots of positives in the athletic dept moving forward.  based on the rumored recent turmoil in WBB, maybe this was the lesser of the evils?

^^This^^

She has a great class coming in so that makes this decision a little easier. The problem though is that while it is  a great class it does not do anything about Auburn's Woman's basketball's number one weakness. Lack of size. All of Coach Flo's teams compete hard play tenacious defense but it has been a long time since we had a real inside presence.  Like others while I don't think this was a great choice it was probably a safe one as he can give her a couple more years and then buy her out or maybe she can turn it around.

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

But FIVE YEARS ?    seems a bit excessive ...or overly optimistic perhaps.   JMO

Just now, AU64 said:

But FIVE YEARS ?    seems a bit excessive ...or overly optimistic perhaps.   JMO

chump change ... 3 years, 5 years, 7 years ... they'll buy it out like you and i drop a lincoln on a below average cigar ...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

The buy out would be so low after a 2/3 years if she does not turn it around. No biggie for AU to pay

As noted above , if JJ had done this the forum would be melting down and nobody defending the possible buyout as peanuts.   The real issue to me is the team is not going in the right direction and I was hoping to see a coach and team that would bring more than a handful of fans to the Arena.  Can't imagine what she is gonna do in the next 2/3 years that she did not try to do in the past 6. 

I truly expected this to be AG's first significant coaching change....and not S and D.....and not a handful of overhead staff which will certainly save some money …..and likely will not affect the performance of any of the teams on the field one way or the other.

Oh man the JJ bashers would have an absolute field day with this. I guess it’s ok though since our new AD is a sharp dresser and gets along with the younger generation. I’ll tell myself that anyways. He took the easy way out, period.  

Disappointing and not earned.

In my opinion she needs to turn it around quickly.  The team I saw this year wasn't shooting well.  Defense hustled but was completely dominated on the boards by other teams.  If they shot better the size wouldn't matter as much but they didn't shoot that well nor had any real 3 point threats from what I saw and I watched all the games I could.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:26 AM, Weagle98 said:

"We are creating a winning culture both on and off the court, and we have barely scratched the surface on what we will accomplish here." 

If that's not the case, then we're in for a long, tough spell with Women's basketball. I was hoping for a change. Six years is plenty long enough to show whatever potential may be there and Coach Flo has not shown much.

9 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

In my opinion she needs to turn it around quickly.  The team I saw this year wasn't shooting well.  Defense hustled but was completely dominated on the boards by other teams.  If they shot better the size wouldn't matter as much but they didn't shoot that well nor had any real 3 point threats from what I saw and I watched all the games I could.

Agree. They don't shoot well because they don't run an offense. One game I counted six (That's SIX!) 30 second clock violations by our offense. Once they cross into our side of half court they are clueless, and that's been going on for six years now. Greene gets one demerit for this move. A one-year extension would have been one year too many but maybe understandable under the circumstances.

PS: About that recruiting class.....yes it's highly ranked but what makes it that way are a couple of highly rated small guards. Nobody to address the real problem which is lack of height inside.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agree. They don't shoot well because they don't run an offense. One game I counted six (That's SIX!) 30 second clock violations by our offense. Once they cross into our side of half court they are clueless, and that's been going on for six years now. Greene gets one demerit for this move. A one-year extension would have been one year too many but maybe understandable under the circumstances.

PS: About that recruiting class.....yes it's highly ranked but what makes it that way are a couple of highly rated small guards. Nobody to address the real problem which is lack of height inside.

I dont completely agree with this.  When we had Brandi Montgomery and katie Frerking we had some offensive punch, but definitely not enough.   Last year that statement above definitely applies.  Still no size at all and thats a major problem at this level.  

Archived