Coach Flo Extended to 22-23 Season

Weagle98

There are a couple of ways to address the offense.  Size will help but you could also recruit pure shooters that can hit threes.  Tenacious Defense along with good shooting can overcome the size disadvantage.  There are many big (tall) women who play the inside game but they aren't that great at the actual game of basketball.  Most can only shoot in close.  Speed, Great D and shooting ability would dramatically improve this team.  Right now I only see good D.  I tried to watch a lot of women's bball this year as it can be exciting.  Not as exciting as the mens game but I tried to watch all of our games.  It seemed we had a lot of lack of focus when on Offense and we couldn't shoot at the arc and could only shoot closer in.  That has to be fixed.  I also think we need players that can jump.  It looked like we were wearing lead shoes this season.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:48 PM, mustache eagle said:

dont know what her salary is, but i assume it is pocket change for the athletic deptartment.  this allows greene to kick the WBB can down the road a year or 2 and if things dont have an upturn then he fires her and pays her buyout.  low risk move at the moment.  there is lots of positives in the athletic dept moving forward.  based on the rumored recent turmoil in WBB, maybe this was the lesser of the evils?

She is making $700,000 a year.  That isn't pocket change and the return we are getting is pathetic.  Her SEC record is 31-65. We are irrelevant in the SEC.  If Jay Jacobs had done this, pitchforks and screaming babies being carried by moms with their hair on fire would have been the response.

3 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

There are a couple of ways to address the offense.  Size will help but you could also recruit pure shooters that can hit threes.  Tenacious Defense along with good shooting can overcome the size disadvantage.  There are many big (tall) women who play the inside game but they aren't that great at the actual game of basketball.  Most can only shoot in close.  Speed, Great D and shooting ability would dramatically improve this team.  Right now I only see good D.  I tried to watch a lot of women's bball this year as it can be exciting.  Not as exciting as the mens game but I tried to watch all of our games.  It seemed we had a lot of lack of focus when on Offense and we couldn't shoot at the arc and could only shoot closer in.  That has to be fixed.  I also think we need players that can jump.  It looked like we were wearing lead shoes this season.

We have a lack of focus because we don't coach offense.  We press press press press and press some more hoping to wear the other team down.  That worked fine at Georgetown, but Georgetown doesn't play an SEC schedule.  The other teams in the SEC have athletes, usually better athletes, that can run the court as well.  Unlike our team, they also practice sets and focus on offensive production. This style of play will never compete with the upper tier of the SEC.

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agree. They don't shoot well because they don't run an offense. One game I counted six (That's SIX!) 30 second clock violations by our offense. Once they cross into our side of half court they are clueless, and that's been going on for six years now. Greene gets one demerit for this move. A one-year extension would have been one year too many but maybe understandable under the circumstances.

PS: About that recruiting class.....yes it's highly ranked but what makes it that way are a couple of highly rated small guards. Nobody to address the real problem which is lack of height inside.

You get it!  Without post players with some size, its the same old___________.  If people take the time to look at a couple of the teams that did have some size, they will quickly realize that those teams had rosters with players recruited to Auburn by Nell Fortner and her staff.  Nell has been sounding the concern about our lack of size for a couple of years in the most polite way that a former coach can . 

15 hours ago, AU9377 said:

She is making $700,000 a year.  That isn't pocket change and the return we are getting is pathetic.  Her SEC record is 31-65. We are irrelevant in the SEC.  If Jay Jacobs had done this, pitchforks and screaming babies being carried by moms with their hair on fire would have been the response.

well, i have to admit that dollar amount changes things for me.  had no idea it was that much.  what in the hell is she doing for $700,000!?!?!  Greene doesn't get a pass for $3.5 mil extension, unless it isn't guaranteed.  I might give him a little wiggle room if he gave her an non-guaranteed extension and the replaces her after this year if it sucks ... yet again.  

bottom line, i hope there is some method to the madness.  we've been relevant in this sport (although I personally don't enjoy women's basketball) and always want auburn to do well if we field a team.  I might care more next year.  i know someone who may try to walk on - so I've been told.

I’d be ok with it if they dropped the salary a good bit and met that with incentives. Then she could take it or leave it. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I’d be ok with it if they dropped the salary a good bit and met that with incentives. Then she could take it or leave it. 

That ship sailed it seems.....way to much of a commitment by AU to Flo considering the trend of her teams. ..even when it is someone else's money, that is NOT peanuts if she is cut loose after another couple years.  It can be argued that the longer term contract helps her with recruiting....but looks to me that the problem is not necessarily talent, it's game coaching that needs to move to a higher level. 

• 6 months later...

Revisiting this now.  Team starts 10-1 with some really solid wins over good programs.

Obviously we need to see how they fare in the SEC, but is Greene's decision looking a good bit smarter now?

I think it was fair to question giving Flo the extension based on how she had done at AU up at that point. But looks like Greene sat down spoke with coach and saw better days were ahead. It was a low risk investment since no one is going to run him off for making a mistake in WBB but kudos for him making an unpopular decision that worked out

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Revisiting this now.  Team starts 10-1 with some really solid wins over good programs.

Obviously we need to see how they fare in the SEC, but is Greene's decision looking a good bit smarter now?

This team doesn't even look like Coach Flo's previous editions. The whys and wherefores are anybody's guess, but there has been a different approach to the game. If you looked at one of this year's games with the uniforms blurred out there is no way you'd guess that Flo was their coach.

Greene's decision to give Coach Flo the deal she got defied logic but as a long-term fan of the women's basketball program I hope this improvement continues through the season and many seasons to come.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This team doesn't even look like Coach Flo's previous editions. The whys and wherefores are anybody's guess, but there has been a different approach to the game. If you looked at one of this year's games with the uniforms blurred out there is no way you'd guess that Flo was their coach.

Greene's decision to give Coach Flo the deal she got defied logic but as a long-term fan of the women's basketball program I hope this improvement continues through the season and many seasons to come.

Let's hope Gus can learn from her.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Let's hope Gus can learn from her.

If Coach Flo can turn it around, then Coach Malzahn can too.  Her record is much worse than his.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The offense is so much better than any team she’s had. The freshman and Duke transfer, Primm, can also score in addition to McKay, Thompson, and Alexander. We’ve won a lot of shootouts with the better offense, but the defense is starting to come around and look like a Flo defense of old. Erica Sanders returning from injury only helps the defense that much more. They are really starting to force the turnovers.

Archived