Jay Jacobs Hired by UF

around4ever

Interesting. I think Associate AD is a good roll for him. He can focus on the things he's good at, like making sure the program stays in the black.

Looks like Strickland worked with him at Auburn when Jay was an Associate AD for Operations and Strickland was a Media Relations Associate.

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Fund raiser

Fundraising at a huge SEC school with alumni that want to win isn't that difficult ...

And yet, don't forget, he couldn't pull together the funds for the North End Zone project.  So ... , not sure I've ever bought the fundraiser component.

40 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Fundraising at a huge SEC school with alumni that want to win isn't that difficult ...

And yet, don't forget, he couldn't pull together the funds for the North End Zone project.  So ... , not sure I've ever bought the fundraiser component.

Exactly and yet that's what he hung his hat on. He's a snake oil salesmen

54 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Under his watch, Auburn was one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country. As has been mentioned before, the money was there for the North Endzone project, the donors we just leveraging their power for a changing of the guard because they were unhappy with other areas of his performance (and rightfully so).

Here's the numbers from last year:
#7 in the NCAA
$140.1 million in revenue

1-year change: +11%

5-year change: +35%

Donations: $35.7 million

Licensing/Rights fees: $54.4 million

3-year avg. football revenue: $76.3 million

3-year avg. men's basketball revenue: $11.0 million

3-year avg. women's basketball revenue: $1.8 million

Just because he wasn't the best AD when it came to managing personnel and he let outside influences have way too much access doesn't mean we have to continually kick him now that he's gone. He is pretty universally regarded,  by people who actually know him, as a good person who cares a lot about Auburn, and he left the overall athletic department in better shape than when he started. That deserves at least a modicum of respect from the rest of us.

Agree Lion....but some folks will kick dirt on his grave when the time comes....just the way it is.   

And good thing for AG is he will be able to get away with just about anything because he isn't JJ....at least for a while that is....for example, getting a pass on the extended contract of Flo....for FIVE years no less....so wondering what the buyout is if she needs to go before then ?

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Under his watch, Auburn was one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country. As has been mentioned before, the money was there for the North Endzone project, the donors we just leveraging their power for a changing of the guard because they were unhappy with other areas of his performance (and rightfully so).

Here's the numbers from last year:
#7 in the NCAA
$140.1 million in revenue

1-year change: +11%

5-year change: +35%

Donations: $35.7 million

Licensing/Rights fees: $54.4 million

3-year avg. football revenue: $76.3 million

3-year avg. men's basketball revenue: $11.0 million

3-year avg. women's basketball revenue: $1.8 million

Just because he wasn't the best AD when it came to managing personnel and he let outside influences have way too much access doesn't mean we have to continually kick him now that he's gone. He is pretty universally regarded,  by people who actually know him, as a good person who cares a lot about Auburn, and he left the overall athletic department in better shape than when he started. That deserves at least a modicum of respect from the rest of us.

I'm not kicking any one.  I know Jay ... or at least, have had several 1:1 interactions, including an in-depth meeting with him about this very site.  

There's a lot I actually like about him.  As I've repeatedly said, I truly found him to be a sincere good man who wanted the best for Auburn.  But that doesn't mean he's immune from criticism ... particularly, as the Athletics gatekeeper of our beloved University.

But regardless what I or anyone else thinks about him as a person, the facts point to some one who for one reason or another, got way out over his skis.  Or to put it another way, the job out grew him.  Too many scandals, too many bad hires, too much embarrassment ...

• Men's Basketball
    • Fraud and conspiracy charges against an assistant coach / Chuck Person
    • Tony Barbee hire / fire / buyout
    • Jeff Lebo fire / buyout
  • Softball
    • Sexual misconduct by an assistant coach / Corey Myers
    • Miscommunication / mismanagement of entire fiasco
    • Title IX issues
  • Football
    • Sociology class scandal / Virgil Starks
    • Gene Chizik fire / buyout
    • "Spice" epidemic
    • Public Administration program situation
    • Tickets scandal
  • Baseball
    • Sonny Golloway hire / fire fiasco
    • Jon Pawlowski fire / buyout
  • Track
    • Adrian Ghioroaie discrimination lawsuit
  • Facilities
    • Piece-meal approach to JHS
    • Unfinished video board eyesore

Yes, a lot of good happened under his watch.  But all of the above are also on his resume and not so easy to dismiss for a lot of us when we evaluate the entire picture of his tenure as AD

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

I'm not kicking any one.  I know Jay ... or at least, have had several 1:1 interactions, including an in-depth meeting with him about this very site.  

There's a lot I actually like about him.  As I've repeatedly said, I truly found him to be a sincere good man who wanted the best for Auburn.  But that doesn't mean he's immune from criticism ... particularly, as the Athletics gatekeeper of our beloved University.

But regardless what I or anyone else thinks about him as a person, the facts point to a person who for one reason or another, got way out over his skis.  Or to put it another way, the job out grew him.  Too many scandals, too many bad hires, too much embarrassment ...

• Men's Basketball
  • Softball
  • Football
    • "Spice" epidemic
    • Tickets scandal
  • Baseball
    • Jon Pawlowski hire
  • Track
  • Facilities

I would argue here are his real failings and the reason he's gone (most important reasons highlighted?

The rest of it, while it happened on his watch, I don't really hang on him, since those kinds of things can and do happen even under the best ADs, or, in the case of facilities, I don't think that many people care.  His biggest issue was a MASSIVE inability to negotiate contracts. The biggest reason I wanted him gone was that he was too close to the to big influential boosters.  Still, if he wanted to fund raise for Auburn, I'd welcome it.

It was all on his watch but make no mistake, it was the Corey Myers deal that ultimately did him in ... forget about the red flags pre-Clint's hire which were known, anonymous complaints were launched as the situation with Corey was happening.  And not enough was done. Action should have been immediate and decisive.  They weren't.

14 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

It was all on his watch but make no mistake, it was the Corey Myers deal that ultimately did him in ... forget about the red flags pre-Clint's hire which were known, anonymous complaints were launched as the situation with Corey was happening.  And not enough was done. Action should have been immediate and decisive.  They weren't.

Yea, once that got up to him he definitely blew it. The fact that no one seemed to really do a deep investigation and it was left to the girls to take illegal measures to prove what was going on is about as bad as it gets. Still he was one foot out the door before any of it happened.

15 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Makes sense.  In this day and age of #metoo, post-Penn St./Sandusky scandal, post Baylor football scandal, hesitation in responding to sexual harassment or sexual predation (or attempting to minimize/cover it up) is a recipe for disaster and heads are likely to roll. 

17 hours ago, RunInRed said:

But regardless what I or anyone else thinks about him as a person, the facts point to a person who for one reason or another, got way out over his skis.  Or to put it another way, the job out grew him.  Too many scandals, too many bad hires, too much embarrassment ...

• Men's Basketball
  • Softball
  • Football
    • "Spice" epidemic
    • Tickets scandal
  • Baseball
    • Jon Pawlowski hire
  • Track
  • Facilities

Yes, a lot of good happened under his watch.  But all of the above are also on his resume nd not so easy to dismiss for a lot of us when we evaluate the entire picture of his tenure as AD

The combination of all of this is what sunk JJ.  He chose to frame Sunny Galloway in order to terminate him which lead to a huge lawsuit only to later find out Sunny was cleared by the NCAA.  He chose to publicly glossed over and even praise Corey Meyers decision to leave AU to spend more time with his family, when in reality Corey's inappropriate actions lead to a serious Title XI case.  Pile on with the Basketball fiasco where Persons + 2 more coaches were terminated AND 2 players sat out a year for accepting impermissible benefits - then pile on some more with a racial discrimination lawsuit in Track/Field.    It was just too much for a brand new President to over look.

All of the good he did for AU seemingly vanished in a period of 18-24 month when AU had had 4-5 programs in the news with negative headlines.  I don't know of another AD in the conference who could've survived that level of scrutiny and retained his job other than maybe Ross Bjork (OleMiss) who seems to be made of Teflon these days.  

On another note, good for Jacobs - he still gets to wear the O&B he loves and gets to work in the SEC's top Athletic Department.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't know of another AD in the conference who could've survived that level of scrutiny and retained his job

Heck, I don't know another AD in the country who could weather that storm.

I don't know if it was just the Auburn way of doing things or something else he wasn't good at, but Auburn has never had the knack for burying the headline like other schools can. Part of me respects that, but another part thinks that there are some things that shouldn't be out there for public scrutiny. It's like the discrimination case... discrimination cases are filed all of the time when people in any minority group are fired and most are proven groundless. This one is even less likely to stick because both parties in question are minorities. It shouldn't have made headlines unless the courts found Auburn guilty.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know if it was just the Auburn way of doing things or something else he wasn't good at, but Auburn has never had the knack for burying the headline like other schools can. Part of me respects that, but another part thinks that there are some things that shouldn't be out there for public scrutiny. It's like the discrimination case... discrimination cases are filed all of the time when people in any minority group are fired and most are proven groundless. This one is even less likely to stick because both parties in question are minorities. It shouldn't have made headlines unless the courts found Auburn guilty.

True...yet about every time an AU beat writer or al.com writer covers something unrelated to it,....count on seeing something about  that or Sunny....or Cam......and on it goes ….somehow references  shows up in the piece as evidence of what a bad place AU is and all the bad things that go on there.   The recent piece about Bruce getting a contract extension is a good example.... 

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I somewhat agree, the media chooses to throw out all of the negatives on AU.  And the discrimination case would've only been a blip on the radar IF that was the only negative headline relative to AU Athletics at the time. 

But the truth is Sunny Golloway case poured out of the crevices and cracks because Sunny swore up and down that he did not commit NCAA violations and he was wrongfully terminated - Jacobs made it personal ("you won't get a dime from AU buddy") pissed Golloway off and he took it to the media.  In the end, the situation was poorly handled by Auburn from start to finish.

Jacobs chose to publicly praise and thank with Corey Meyers after his resignation, completely glossed over the truth, painted a picture of Corey's need to place his family as first priority.  All while a storm had been brewing for months with one player going to the freaking Governor in a letter laying out her issues and complaints with the coaching staff.

Then Basketball hit the fan in a huge way resulting in Auburn University plastered all over local and national media.  

The back to back to back seemingly 24/7 negative AU headlines did JJ in for good.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...yet about every time an AU beat writer or al.com writer covers something unrelated to it,....count on seeing something about  that or Sunny....or Cam......and on it goes ….somehow references  shows up in the piece as evidence of what a bad place AU is and all the bad things that go on there.   The recent piece about Bruce getting a contract extension is a good example.... 

Yea... that's all pandering to their majority audience. I've never seen the numbers, but I would bet that there is an 80%+ bama lean in readership of media in the state of Alabama, and maybe even more heavily bama weighted in readership from outside of the state.

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Auburn has been poorly manged AU64 - for quite some time.  Do we need more evidence than the millions already spent to a B'ham law firm in the last 2-3 yrs to conduct internal investigations in to multiple programs?  Multiple coaching staffs?  Multiple lawsuits?

Yes the media is brutal, but damn Auburn University needs (and hopefully now has) better management of Athletics.

Quit trying to dowse out the flames with gasoline!

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I somewhat agree, the media chooses to throw out all of the negatives on AU.  And the discrimination case would've only been a blip on the radar IF that was the only negative headline relative to AU Athletics at the time. 

But the truth is Sunny Golloway case poured out of the crevices and cracks because Sunny swore up and down that he did not commit NCAA violations and he was wrongfully terminated - Jacobs made it personal ("you won't get a dime from AU buddy") pissed Golloway off and he took it to the media.  In the end, the situation was poorly handled by Auburn from start to finish.

Jacobs chose to publicly praise and thank with Corey Meyers after his resignation, completely glossed over the truth, painted a picture of Corey's need to place his family as first priority.  All while a storm had been brewing for months with one player going to the freaking Governor in a letter laying out her issues and complaints with the coaching staff.

Then Basketball hit the fan in a huge way resulting in Auburn University plastered all over local and national media.  

The back to back to back seemingly 24/7 negative AU headlines did JJ in for good.

Yes, the Galloway Case was like a master class in how not to run an AD. He should have never hired him and he should have handled the issues completely differently. To me, that was when the door swung wide open and he began to be pushed out of it.

The Meyers case was a bit different to me. He handled that how a lot of ADs would. Spin the truth to make it go away. I've seen that more times than I can count, even knowing that it was a big lie. The problem is that control was already completely lost in that situation when the team decided to take it upon themselves to air the dirty laundry. To me, Jacobs failure wasn't his handling of the aftermath... that seemed to be right out of the AD handbook... it was that, when allegations were first brought to light, a serious investigation didn't take place to root out the truth. Had that happened, the whole thing could have been dealt with properly and contained.

The basketball thing I don't lay at his feet at all. Not one is all knowing and nothing Person was doing was actually affecting Auburn, so there were no signs of an issue.

I do agree that back to back to back negative headlines will do anyone in, whether they could have prevented the situation or not.

Archived