Pitching for Super Regional vs. Florida

Pitching matchups for the super regional have been announced.

Sat: RHP Casey Mize (10-5, 2.95) vs. RHP Brady Singer (11-1, 2.27)

Sun: RHP Tanner Burns (7-4, 3.12) vs. RHP Jackson Kowar (9-5, 3.37)

Mon (if necessary): LHP Andrew Mitchell (2-2, 4.30) vs TBA

Looks good to me.....quite an even match-up....statistically at least....

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looks good to me.....quite an even match-up....statistically at least....

I agree. The bullpens are pretty similar too. They have a stud closer in Byrne, but it’s not really deep past him. We probably don’t have a guy quite on Byrne’s level, but we probably have 2 just below him and possibly a little better than anyone else they have. And with the way they struggled all weekend with sidearmers, I wonder if Coker can be pretty effective in this series for us. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Pitching for Super Regional vs. Florida
3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hasn't Singer had some injury issues lately? Hamstring or something along those lines

"Hamstring tightness".  Went three weeks between appearances...May 11th vs Georgia until June 2 against Jacksonville in the regional.  Probably also hurt his feelings falling to the #18 spot in the draft.  I'm wondering what Schwarz's status is, they aren't the same without him (although his backup can hit a little).

16 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

"Hamstring tightness".  Went three weeks between appearances...May 11th vs Georgia until June 2 against Jacksonville in the regional.  Probably also hurt his feelings falling to the #18 spot in the draft.  I'm wondering what Schwarz's status is, they aren't the same without him (although his backup can hit a little).

Why did he fall to 18? I was under the impression he was top 5..

17 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Most of what I've heard about Schwarz indicated that he'd be back in a couple of weeks after the injury.....which means he should be good to go right about now. But it's also been said that he's in a day-by-day situation. 

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

A lot has to do with team needs. Some teams like drafting HS kids, some don't take or need pitchers early. Singer was the 3rd college pitcher taken behind Mize at 1 and Gilbert Long at 14. I guess he could've gone at 14 over Long, but that's probably just a preference thing for the teams choosing between the two. Five HS pitchers went before Singer as well, but that's likely because teams value the youth and the projectability of the HS arms over a college arm. It really becomes subjective to a point.

I like our chances. I hope our bats can stay hot in that I think if we score 4 or more runs, we win.  I think we will see Casey's best effort of the season so far.  How are we looking with recruits for the 2019 class? I have not heard anything about this yet. Does anyone know how many no decisions Singer has had for the season?

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I like our chances. I hope our bats can stay hot in that I think if we score 4 or more runs, we win.  I think we will see Casey's best effort of the season so far.  How are we looking with recruits for the 2019 class? I have not heard anything about this yet. Does anyone know how many no decisions Singer has had for the season?

Haven’t looked too much at the 2019 class yet. We will probably start seeing some stuff about commitments over the summer. 

Singer has two NDs this year, one against Mizzou and One against UGA in his second to last start. 

Funny- Burns has close to the same ERA as Casey. Hope those numbers both go down this weekend. Man I’m so pumped up- Auburn baseball in a super regional. I think I just wet my pants 

19 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

If you really press I think many of those assessing fear that his mechanics are going to cause him problems down the road.  There is some consensus that he may need to overhaul his delivery.  There were also some completely unexpected things that happened at the top of the draft...I'm not sure anybody could foresee Oakland taking Murray at #9.  But as for "falling", he had an average projected pick of 14...there is always going to be disagreement on where guys will go in the MLB draft.

It all comes down to Burns getting the W for us tomorrow. Mize just has not looked like himself the past few starts. We win tomorrow, we will win Monday!

8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It all comes down to Burns getting the W for us tomorrow. Mize just has not looked like himself the past few starts. We win tomorrow, we will win Monday!

Honestly, with the way the pitching has unfolded the last month or so, there’s probably not anyone else I’d rather have on the mound. He’s been really good and really competitive lately. Probably will see two of the most competitive pitchers on the team throw tomorrow to keep our season alive. I’ll take that. 

So I would think we go Mitchell tomorrow. Then, who? Coker and Owen or Welby? Or do you think they'll try and throw Davis or Greenhill back out there? Does anyone know how many pitches Greenhill threw today? He through 3+ innings today, didn't he? I'd be surprised to see him again. 

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I think tomorrow any pitcher  is possible to use you may even see it similar to the majors just depends on the situation. jmo

Can you explain what you mean by “similar to the majors”? My baseball knowledge is limited.?

38 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

So I would think we go Mitchell tomorrow. Then, who? Coker and Owen or Welby? Or do you think they'll try and throw Davis or Greenhill back out there? Does anyone know how many pitches Greenhill threw today? He through 3+ innings today, didn't he? I'd be surprised to see him again. 

I think all hands on deck except for Burns and possibly Mize. Casey may be able to give you one or two but I wouldn’t test it too much. They’ve seen him this weekend and rocked him pretty good. Davis and Greenhill are good options, but both have been seen already. Still think they are the better options, but Coker and Welby going to have to throw well tomorrow, I think. 

6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Can you explain what you mean by “similar to the majors”? My baseball knowledge is limited.?

one certain lefty pitcher comes in to just fact a left handed batter then if the next batter is righty another righty pitcher will  comes in. I know we don't have a staff of majors pitchers but I think Butch will be quick to change pitchers. We can not let this game get out of hand early and same will go for uf. Once again jmo

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think all hands on deck except for Burns and possibly Mize. Casey may be able to give you one or two but I wouldn’t test it too much. They’ve seen him this weekend and rocked him pretty good. Davis and Greenhill are good options, but both have been seen already. Still think they are the better options, but Coker and Welby going to have to throw well tomorrow, I think. 

I think if Casey has done fairly well against a certain gator hitter he could come in to just face him.

25 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Hopefully, Mitchell throws a gem and we don't have to worry about any of it haha. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

No Burns, no Mize. Everyone else is available. You have Welby and Owen to match up to some lefties. You have Coker to give you a couple innings. Daniel and Greenhill should be able to give at least a few hitters. 

On Coker, Florida struggled against soft tossing and sidearm pitchers last weekend. Coker’s style might play well against this Florida lineup tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

No Burns, no Mize. Everyone else is available. You have Welby and Owen to match up to some lefties. You have Coker to give you a couple innings. Daniel and Greenhill should be able to give at least a few hitters. 

On Coker, Florida struggled against soft tossing and sidearm pitchers last weekend. Coker’s style might play well against this Florida lineup tomorrow. 

Speaking of the FL line-up......I wonder if JJ Schwarz will make an appearance tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Speaking of the FL line-up......I wonder if JJ Schwarz will make an appearance tomorrow. 

I’d be surprised if he does. Would be something if he couldn’t go yesterday but could today. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I’d be surprised if he does. Would be something if he couldn’t go yesterday but could today. 

I heard someone say Saturday that he was expected to play at some point during the Super Regionals.....don't remember who it was. It wouldn't totally surprise me, but a broken bone in a catcher's hand has to be so painful.  The gator coach did say last week that Schwarz would be day by day. If he's not 100 % then he could be a liability so there is that.

Archived