Trump is going to wing it

GiveEmElle

Trump offered Kim a big concession

Trump also announced other agreements with North Korea at the press conference.

The biggest policy change the president unveiled was that the US will halt joint military exercises with South Korea, which has served as a crucial way for the US to put military pressure on North Korea. This announcement came as a surprise for a number of reasons.

First, it appears that Trump made the concession without getting anything remotely comparable from Kim in return. Second, he framed it as a financial issue, pointing out that cutting back on the drills will save a “tremendous amount of money.” In the process, he criticized US ally South Korea for not pulling its weight. “South Korea contributes [to the military exercises], but not 100 percent, which is a subject that we have to talk to them about,” the president said.

Analysts were shocked by the statement. “Apparently jet-fuel is so expensive, it’s worth casting aside a 60-year ally and friend,” Robert Kelly, a professor at South Korea’s Pusan National University, said.

It seems that Trump also surprised South Korea with his decision to cancel the joint exercises. “At this moment, we need to figure out President Trump’s accurate meaning and intention,” South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s office said in a statement on Tuesday.

Trump also indicated that he’d like to eventually close down US military bases in South Korea. “We have 32,000 soldiers in South Korea. I would like to be able to bring them back home. That’s not part of the equation. At some point, I hope it would be,” he said.

If that happens, it would be another major concession to Pyongyang because it would make North Korea feel far safer to have US military power gone from the Korean Peninsula.

Experts also point out that Trump declined to criticize North Korea’s terrible record on human rights, and had no details to offer on how the US would verify that North Korea was in fact going to take steps toward denuclearization.

Trump did announce one concession by North Korea — he said Kim had promised to destroy a missile engine testing site “soon.”

But MIT nuclear expert Vipin Narang criticized the testing site destruction as a “measly”giveaway and said it was easy to rebuild. “I’m totally confused about the art of this deal,” he tweeted.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

So what tangible did Trump get for us out of this.  Anything?

He got a promise from Kim to destroy a missle engine testing site.

You can take that to the bank.  :rolleyes:

"......In a press conference after the summit, Trump offered contradictory messages about what exactly he had just achieved. He modestly defined success in Singapore as developing “a relationship” with Kim, characterized the meeting as “the beginning of an arduous process,” and stated that Kim had taken only “the first bold step toward a bright new future for his people.” At the same time, he described the joint statement as “very comprehensive” and argued that “I don’t think you can be any more plain” in terms of the language on denuclearization. He said U.S. officials had worked on the substance of the joint statement for months and that the document was “far down the line.” Asked why the document contained no details on how the denuclearization process will work, Trump responded, “Because there was no time. I’m here one day.”....

.......Trump acknowledged that he didn’t dwell on North Korea’s human-rights abuses during the summit, though he claimed to have raised the issue. (Human rights are “rough in a lot of places, by the way, not just there,” he said.) He entertained plans to invite Kim Jong Un to the White House and travel to Pyongyang at the “appropriate time.” (It’s “a little bit early” to discuss normalizing diplomatic relations, he added.) And he remarked admiringly that Kim was clearly “very talented,” since he took over North Korea in his 20s and ran it “tough.” (Kim operates a sprawling network of political prison camps and is believed to have executed political opponents with anti-aircraft machine guns and chemical weapons.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/06/trump-kim-jong-un-singapore-summit/562610/?utm_source=feed

Kim runs North Korea like one big concentration camp.

This is embarrassing.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:51 AM, GiveEmElle said:

This is his preparation for failure. I don’t remember him doing that before. 

30 minutes ago, alexava said:

This is his preparation for failure. I don’t remember him doing that before. 

I thought it was Trump in a rare moment of total honesty. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

But at least Trump is bringing home the remains of soldiers from Korea to the parents who spoke to him on the campaign trail. 

I think this is technically wrong. It's a nit but I think an armistice was signed but nothing officially ending the war has ever been signed comparable to the signing aboard the U.S.S. Missouri ending WW2. There was speculation that Trump and Kim would do so at the summit. Maybe a historian can comment.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/armistice-ends-the-korean-war

But more important are you downplaying the agreement to return the remains?

5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I think this is technically wrong. It's a nit but I think an armistice was signed but nothing officially ending the war has ever been signed comparable to the signing aboard the U.S.S. Missouri ending WW2. There was speculation that Trump and Kim would do so at the summit. Maybe a historian can comment.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/armistice-ends-the-korean-war

But more important are you downplaying the agreement to return the remains?

I’m downplaying the part where Trump says parents of soldiers of the Korean War asked him to bring the remains home. 

4 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I’m downplaying the part where Trump says parents of soldiers of the Korean War asked him to bring the remains home. 

Isn't the important thing the agreement to allow the remains to be brought home? I think the loved ones would think so to help them get closure.

5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Isn't the important thing the agreement to allow the remains to be brought home? I think the loved ones would think so to help them get closure.

Yes. That is the important thing so why lie and say that parents of these dead soldiers asked you to bring them home before you were even elected? 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

Yes. That is the important thing so why lie and say that parents of these dead soldiers asked you to bring them home before you were even elected? 

I  didn't hear him say that but if he lied shame on him. But the bottom line is what counts. He can lie until hell freezes over as long as his results are good. Obama lied about paying Iran ransom money. The immediate result was good, although the long term may not be so.

9 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Maybe President Trump should have went dancing in Cuba instead?

LMAO. I had to think about that "whatabout" for a minute?

14 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

It’s ok to lie when your base eats every turd you serve them and makes themselves like it. 

15 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I  didn't hear him say that but if he lied shame on him. But the bottom line is what counts. He can lie until hell freezes over as long as his results are good. Obama lied about paying Iran ransom money. The immediate result was good, although the long term may not be so.

This isn’t like the “laurel” or “yanny” audio. How do you not hear him say that parents came to him and wanted their sons remains returned? 

But it sounds like you’re saying it’s ok for Trump to lie, Nevermind that he praised a murderous dictator and Made a bad deal. It’s ok because he isn’t Obama.

4 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

This isn’t like the “laurel” or “yanny” audio. How do you not hear him say that parents came to him and wanted their sons remains returned? 

But it sounds like you’re saying it’s ok for Trump to lie, Nevermind that he praised a murderous dictator and Made a bad deal. It’s ok because he isn’t Obama.

You seriously need to go thru defenestration.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

It’s ok to lie when your base eats every turd you serve them and makes themselves like it. 

I suppose years of indoctrination from Fox News set the stage for this. 

23 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

You seriously need to go thru defenestration.

If you’re using defenestration in the humorous sense, I can think of several people I’d toss out a window. 

6 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

If you’re using defenestration in the humorous sense, I can think of several people I’d toss out a window. 

Me too.

20 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Trump will BS about anything.

Archived