2019 3* WR Ja'Varrius Johnson commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Updated (6/09/18):

• Worth keeping an eye on
  • Had a strong camp at AU today
  • Only major offer before today was Miss St.
  • Recruiter: Chip Lindsey (P), Kodi Burns (S)
  • Played his junior season at St. Clair Co. (Ala.) and transferred to Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) this offseason
  • Would not effect a guy like trying to flip Jadon Haselwood: different WR positions

DfM2jV_W0AEie3F.jpg
PC: Jason Caldwell

Former St. Clair County wide receiver Ja'Varrius Johnson committed to Auburn on Friday.
PC: Dennis Victory/al.com

3C55B741-C53A-4A48-9DF2-A0F96A89BC05.jpeg

Edited by ellitor

BREAKING: Rising in-state WR commits to Auburn after strong camp performance

AUBURN, Ala. — Ja’Varrius Johnson’s fast rise in the recruiting world took a major step forward Friday.

The Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) wide receiver visited Auburn two weeks ago and picked up an offer from Mississippi State last week. He took another visit to the Plains on Friday for a camp. He picked up an offer from the Tigers, too.

Johnson took it to the next level, however.

The speedy in-state wide receiver — who is sure to pick up more offers this summer — committed to Auburn on Friday. He became the ninth commitment in the 2019 class and the second wide receiver, joining Hoover (Ala.) wide receiver George Pickens.

Johnson played his junior season at St. Clair Co. (Ala.) and transferred to Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) this offseason.

Johnson has emerged recently on Auburn’s radar, and the Tigers staff made sure to seal the deal before other top programs got in on Johnson’s recruitment. His highlight tape tells the story of why coaching staffs are impressed by him. At the Auburn camp on Friday, Johnson blew coaches away with his breakaway speed.

The one uncertainty about Johnson may be his size. At 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, he’s not a big-bodied receiver like Pickens. That didn’t scare away Auburn coaches, however, who saw his big-play ability at St. Clair Co. that will only increase in production for that electric Hewitt-Trussville offense. He hauled in a whopping six touchdowns in the spring game.

Auburn’s plan has always been to take two wide receivers in this class. The emphasis, to this point, has been on Georgia commit Jadon Haselwood. Johnson’s addition won’t change the Tigers’ plans with Haselwood, but it gives Auburn a security blanket of a two-receiver class if Haselwood opts to stick with the Bulldogs.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Reminds me of me in high school

If the football was a PBR.

• Haha 5

Originally from St. Clair.  Will be a transfer into Hewitt. Weird how that keeps happening.  Lol

Go Huskies!!!HuskyFast!!

He will get plenty of opportunities at HT with Paul Tyson throwing and Worsham on the outside.  

If the running back from Florence that transferred in takes care of his role maybe a State Championship on the way for HT.  

Not a big fan of this pickup if I'm being 100% honest. If, outside of Pickens, we're really only taking one other receiver than I don't understand this being our guy.

I hope I don't get bashed for saying this but it's kind of an underwhelming pickup. It's made worse when I think of how we gained ground with Haselwood... Maybe we take another receiver anyway but that would go against most of what I've seen projected...

War Eagle to this kid and maybe I'm terribly wrong but this isn't the size of a boom I was expecting for our next commitment.

EDIT: Just read the OP better, good that it doesn't count out Haselwood but odd that we're considering more receiver targets.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 3

@Zeek  he must have put up some great numbers at camp to be offered and committed.  I’ve seen him play he’s quick and fast.  If he doesn’t shine at HT it will be an easy drop from our side.  But if he blows up then great for our coaches

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

@Zeek  he must have put up some great numbers at camp to be offered and committed.  I’ve seen him play he’s quick and fast.  If he doesn’t shine at HT it will be an easy drop from our side.  But if he blows up then great for our coaches

Yeah, it's always hard to say who will really become something special in college. I just don't see this as a need or as our best case scenario. Like you said, maybe he blew the coaches out of the water and Burns said he had to have him.

We'll see if he starts blowing up soon. War Eagle Ja'V! Hold on to your spot with your life and prove me wrong once you get here.

Bama QB commit: New Auburn verbal ‘a stud’

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

What is Auburn getting in new receiver commit Ja'Varrius Johnsona 3-star recruit from Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.)?

“The kid is a stud, let me tell you,” said Paul Tyson.

Tyson isn’t just an Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback commit, he is Johnson’steammate at Hewitt-Trussville. Johnson, a transfer from Odenville (Ala.) St. Clair County, arrived at Hewitt-Trussville earlier this year and took very little time to impress his signal caller.

“Just passing with him over the spring and being able to throw with him over time since then, he’s a heck of a player,” Tyson said. “The kid is as fast as it gets. I think he’s run a 4.36 40 (yard dash). He can jump through the roof. He has over a 40-inch vertical. I mean, he’s really a special player.”

According to Tyson, Johnson has been feeling the Tigers for awhile. So when Auburn offered him a scholarship after his strong camp performance Friday, Tyson wasn’t surprised he jumped on it.

*** Subscribe FOR FREE for 7 days and get the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

“I know he’s super excited about going to Auburn,” Tyson said. “I know this is what he wants to do. He’s a stud, trust me. His greatest assets are that he’s always at the ball; he’s just a ballhawk. He’s going to get the ball. He’s got speed, good quickness, good routes and he can jump. The whole 9 yards really.”

With Tyson and two offensive teammates — offensive tackle Pierce Quick and receiver Dazalin Worsham — committed to the Crimson Tide, having an Auburn commit in the same offensive huddle will be unique. But Tyson said he’s cool with that — and happy for Johnson.

“We’re all going in-state — welcome to the family,” he said.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Originally from St. Clair.  Will be a transfer into Hewitt. Weird how that keeps happening.  Lol

Go Huskies!!!HuskyFast!!

He will get plenty of opportunities at HT with Paul Tyson throwing and Worsham on the outside.  

If the running back from Florence that transferred in takes care of his role maybe a State Championship on the way for HT.  

I'll admit to being partial to the kids from St. Clair. I dropped a lot of blood, sweat and even a few tears on that very field. He looks very fast and elusive and St. Clair plays decent competition. Apparently not the big name some were hoping for yet but doesn't mean he won't be. Looking forward to following him at HT next season. 

• Like 2

St. Clair’s high school coach is a very good coach as well.  Matt Glover.  He was at Pinson before Patrick Nix became the head coach and Patrick wouldn’t have went to Pinson with an empty roster.  Matt immediately turned St. Clair around much like Nix did at Pinson.  

Plus for those wondering coach Floyd and Malzahn are good friends and I’m sure has good insight on this kid.

Like I said I’ve seen him play and he is legit SEC speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like this kid. He could grow another few inches before he sets foot on campus. He likely will take a red shirt freshman season due to all of the depth we have at the position with all of the studs we signed in the 2018 class and veterans on the roster. 4.36 forty is blazing fast and nothing to sneeze at whatsoever. My guess is that he will move up significantly in the state rankings in the not too distant future. 

For Ellitor....do you think he has a chance of becoming a 4 star recruit when it is all said and done?

14 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

"...His greatest assets are that he’s always at the ball; he’s just a ballhawk. He’s going to get the ball."

Those are nice assets.

• Like 1

Tyson has no reason to blow smoke about this kid, so it seems like a pretty good endorsement to me! We’ll see what happens when the season starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Not a big fan of this pickup if I'm being 100% honest. If, outside of Pickens, we're really only taking one other receiver than I don't understand this being our guy.

I hope I don't get bashed for saying this but it's kind of an underwhelming pickup. It's made worse when I think of how we gained ground with Haselwood... Maybe we take another receiver anyway but that would go against most of what I've seen projected...

War Eagle to this kid and maybe I'm terribly wrong but this isn't the size of a boom I was expecting for our next commitment.

EDIT: Just read the OP better, good that it doesn't count out Haselwood but odd that we're considering more receiver targets.

Appreciate your honesty.  Surprising for sure especially since I think I read that we're only signing 22 for '19 class. However War Eagle to young Mr. Johnson. Here's hoping you have a great career at Auburn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, autan said:

Appreciate your honesty.  Surprising for sure especially since I think I read that we're only signing 22 for '19 class. However War Eagle to young Mr. Johnson. Here's hoping you have a great career at Auburn.

By the time it’s all said and done we will have 24-25 available spots.  But the plan now is to take 22-23.  This commit could change those plans

Ja'Varrius, welcome to the Auburn Family. War Eagle!

Edited by auburn4ever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

maybe a State Championship on the way for HT.  

No offense but I’ll believe in a 7A state champion besides Hoover or McGill when I see it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Don't take the recruiting services' opinions over our staff's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Reminds me of me in high school

It must've been hard to out run a mastodon

• Love 1
  • Haha 6