Ja'Varrius Johnson is playing like someone who doesn’t like his 3-star rating.

The Auburn commit from Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) entered last Friday's nationally televised game with Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson as the state's leader in total receiving yardage so it was little surprise that he was dominant -- again — that evening. In a 63-49 loss, Johnson recorded nine catches for 232 yards and added a 99-yard kickoff return for six.

For keeping track, he now has 70 receptions for 1,464 yards (with a long of 77 yards) and 11 touchdowns. That’s a stellar average of 20.9 yards per reception. Johnson has six 100-yard receiving games and two over 200 this year. He just might be entering the conversation for state player-of-the-year honors. In addition to his ridiculous receiving numbers, he has two kickoff returns for touchdowns. 

Auburn Undercover caught up with Johnson to talk stats, his recruitment and more …

AUBURN UNDERCOVER: You had something like 70 catches last season at St. Clair County (Ala.) so why do you think you kind of flew under the recruiting radar for so long?

JOHNSON: I just feel like I was in a position and at a school where not that many people knew about me. That’s not a big school.