2019 3* WR Ja'Varrius Johnson commits to AU!!!

ellitor

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't take the recruiting services' opinions over our staff's.

I am a bit of an admitted stargazer but this one's more about size and film for me. He doesn't jump out at me and we haven't neccisarily had game breakers at the WR position in a while. Would really love a 1,000 yard receiver. Definitely a speed demon in the slot though. Here's hoping he does well.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

good that it doesn't count out Haselwood but odd that we're considering more receiver targets. 

Apparently the staff wanted a slot WR in the class & us fans just found out today FWIW. JJ is a slot WR & could be very dangerous in space.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

If he doesn’t shine at HT it will be an easy drop from our side.

Not something this staff does barring injury. Even then they give committed kids every shot.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I am a bit of an admitted stargazer but this one's more about size and film for me. He doesn't jump out at me and we haven't neccisarily had game breakers at the WR position in a while. Would really love a 1,000 yard receiver. Definitely a speed demon in the slot though. Here's hoping he does well.

Ryan Davis is about the same size as him and went 76 for 768 last year. If I'm not mistaken, that was a record for catches in a season. Also, we've only had 2 1000 yard receivers in school history. 768 is a monster number for us, and not just in the Gus era. It was good for 6th in the league last year, right above Christian Kirk. And he did it all out of the slot.

I hear you on Haselwood and getting that rock star, big bodied guy. We're all still hoping that our staff remembers they have a guy named Nate freaking Craig Myers already on the roster. But we've shown that we can feature a guy like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

For Ellitor....do you think he has a chance of becoming a 4 star recruit when it is all said and done?

He'd have to show out at Trussville at Corch said & also make & show out at the Alabama-Mississippi All Star game just to have a chance.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

By the time it’s all said and done we will have 24-25 available spots.  But the plan now is to take 22-23.  This commit could change those plans

Keith's latest # was 23-24 the other day FWIW.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ellitor said:

He'd have to show out at Trussville at Corch said & also make & show out at the Alabama-Mississippi All Star game just to have a chance.

Obviously the kid has a lot potential and has nice upside. I am glad we got in on him as soon as we did. I love a diamond in the rough here and there in each class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't take the recruiting services' opinions over our staff's.

This should be embedded somewhere at the top of the recruiting forum.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

If, outside of Pickens, we're really only taking one other receiver than I don't understand this being our guy.

Here's the thing, Zeek. All this blah-blah about we're only taking so many at X position and only signing so many this year is just that, blah-blah. They may stick to it until.... let some surprise 5* pop up and suddenly x+1 will become the desired number at that position. Let three solid prospects decide to sign on late and suddenly the desired number of signees will jump from 22 to 25, as if by magic. It's been that way for as long as people have made the statement "We're only taking so many X this year". Those numbers should be considered a very, very loose guideline, to be amended at the first sign of a prospect changing his mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Here's the thing, Zeek. All this blah-blah about we're only taking so many at X position and only signing so many this year is just that, blah-blah. They may stick to it until.... let some surprise 5* pop up and suddenly x+1 will become the desired number at that position. Let three solid prospects decide to sign on late and suddenly the desired number of signees will jump from 22 to 25, as if by magic. It's been that way for as long as people have made the statement "We're only taking so many X this year". Those numbers should be considered a very, very loose guideline, to be amended at the first sign of a prospect changing his mind.

Other than calling it blah blah I think this is spot on. I do think the staff does have a true and clear recruiting plan but as Mikey just alluded to that plan can change with a big-time prospect changing his mind Or in this case a prospect flooring the staff with his camp performance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Apparently the staff wanted a slot WR in the class & us fans just found out today FWIW. JJ is a slot WR & could be very dangerous in space.

Can anyone say Will Hasting. Receivers with that skill set appear to be something that is important in CCL’s playbook.  JJ will definitely keep one of the safeties 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and out of the run support mode. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

Can anyone say Will Hasting. Receivers with that skill set appear to be something that is important in CCL’s playbook.  JJ will definitely keep one of the safeties 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and out of the run support mode. 

So he is black lightening?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

He’s small for sure. but keep in mind we signed some pretty big receivers last year and with Pickens coming this year, we’re set with some length and height. Having another Ryan Davis/Will Hasting type is good for balance. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LakeBum said:

So he is black lightening?

It's a lot easier to say than Ja'Varrius Football that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's a lot easier to say than Ja'Varrius Football that's for sure.

BlackLightning-101-TheResurrection-T4310001-CW-Stereo_a4df11562_CWtv_1920x1080.jpg

If he's remotely like Black Lightning I'm down

• Like 1

If he is as fast as everyone is saying then, I'm all in on this kid. Love all the speed the coaches are getting the last couple of recruiting years. :wareagle::wareagle::wareagle:

• Like 1

Congrats to the kid. He put in that work and received a major D-1 offer from a competitive SEC school. These are my favorite types because I’ve bet he has heard some of the muttering we have already seen in this thread. Looking forward to seeing this young man continue to grow in his skill set.

• Like 2

After watching his highlights,  and although much smaller,  his running style with the ball reminds me of Ricardo Louis... he has good lean or curve which takes speed to pull off.  He is not shifty however,  which means he would need open field to really break it.  

Just my humble opinion.   

• Like 2

I personally like receivers in the 6-2 to 6-5 range..........with that said the guy is fast and obviously one heck of an athlete.......good pickup in my opinion....War Eagle!!!

3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I personally like receivers in the 6-2 to 6-5 range..........with that said the guy is fast and obviously one heck of an athlete.......good pickup in my opinion....War Eagle!!!

In basketball shoes he'd be 5-10 at least. He definitely is fast. I tried looking to see how much he used his hands vs his body to catch the ball. Obviously there are times when the choice is made for you but I like receivers using their hands to catch out front. I couldn't tell from the video. I've only watched once though. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

In basketball shoes he'd be 5-10 at least. He definitely is fast. I tried looking to see how much he used his hands vs his body to catch the ball. Obviously there are times when the choice is made for you but I like receivers using their hands to catch out front. I couldn't tell from the video. I've only watched once though. 

With that speed and the ability to catch out front he could be a deep threat.......of course with his speed could be used in many areas of gus style offense.?

• Like 2