2019 3* WR Ja'Varrius Johnson commits to AU!!!

ellitor

I'd rather trust the judgement of guys whose lives are predicated upon them being right with their evaluations than a dot com ratings evaluation done by people whose lives are predicated upon stirring interest among subscribers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 5:49 PM, corchjay said:

@Zeek  he must have put up some great numbers at camp to be offered and committed.  I’ve seen him play he’s quick and fast.  If he doesn’t shine at HT it will be an easy drop from our side.  But if he blows up then great for our coaches

Can't drop a in-state kid like this if he isn't a grade concern or a horrible trouble kid. AU could have waited on this commit till the season. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Can't drop a in-state kid like this if he isn't a grade concern or a horrible trouble kid. AU could have waited on this commit till the season. 

Why wait if the coaches are sold on him?  Who cares what recruiting services rank him? If Gus, Chip and Kodi want him that’s good enough for me.  If he was rated a 95 no one would say one word about taking his commit now.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Why wait if the coaches are sold on him?  Who cares what recruiting services rank him? If Gus, Chip and Kodi want him that’s good enough for me.  If he was rated a 95 no one would say one word about taking his commit now.  

I couldn't agree more. We have had the Star argument ad-nausea.  As a predictor of success for a team a team that continuously gets highly rated players does great, but it does not mean much on a single player. Good coaches are able to find the diamond in the rough the player from a small school or a player who doesn't do the camp circuit or some other reason but when the coaches work with the player themselves they have a different view I will go with our coaches view after they have worked him themselves.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

We obviously wanted a slot receiver in this class. If this guy showed out during evaluations at camp, great! Get the commit and lets move on to seal up another position.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We obviously wanted a slot receiver in this class. If this guy showed out during evaluations at camp, great! Get the commit and lets move on to seal up another position.

That seems like another benefit to this one. We can't have devoted too many resources to his recruitment, which means we can continue to devote them to the other 22-23 guys. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That seems like another benefit to this one. We can't have devoted too many resources to his recruitment, which means we can continue to devote them to the other 22-23 guys. 

Relatively speaking instate kids don't require resources allocated enough that it effects recruiting other kids.

22 hours ago, corchjay said:

I was commenting on you comment about him being a easy drop if he doesn't shine. He isn't a easy drop at all. Unless you want AU to piss off a bunch of high school coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I was commenting on you comment about him being a easy drop if he doesn't shine. He isn't a easy drop at all. Unless you want AU to piss off a bunch of high school coaches. 

I don't think you have to worry about that between Coach Floyd and Gus... not that I think we would drop this kid but if got down to it our coaches know how to turn the cold shoulder and be diplomatic.  

My comment was about your comment of waiting to take his commitment

Repeat, for all those pining for bigger guys: 

Johnson also said the success of Ryan Davis, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound receiver who set an Auburn single-season record with 84 catches last year, also impressed him. 

"Like Ryan Davis and the role he plays, that's the role I play at Trussville," Johnson said. "I'm a slot guy, and that's something I'll be able to do there."

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/why_auburns_newest_commitment.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

if got down to it our coaches know how to turn the cold shoulder and be diplomatic

h1EC34D2C

And both have valid points.

If the staff knows they want a speedy slot & have identified JJ as the best then they should take him now. We don't need another nauseating story like the one I'm about to tell. There was once a local 2-3* kid from a small school who camped at AU. Nearly 7 years ago in fact. He was a lifelong AU fan. That kid dominated the AU camp but did not get an AU offer. He then camped at UAt a few weeks later & got an offer on the spot. He committed to them not long after & to my knowledge never truly wavered from his commitment even though AU pressed for him the rest of the way. He's had big moments for them in big games & is now playing for the Tampa Bay Bucs. His name...OJ Howard. Now I'm not implying in any way JJ will have a trajectory like OJ. What I am saying is if we knew he was the guy we wanted but didn't offer immediately then he could have gone camped somewhere like FSU, wow them & they him, commitment follow & then could become very tough for AU to land him.

As for potentially dropping him, it would piss off a lot of coaches in this state if we drop him for any other reason than behavioral or grades. That would hurt in state recruiting a great deal. Barring grades or behavior this staff has never dropped a player without a major coordinator or position coach change resulting in a change in philosophy or talent wants.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, Mikey said:

Like an OT perhaps? Or some DL?

That will tell the tale.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Who's your daddy said:

That will tell the tale.

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about those position groups.

J/k.

21 hours ago, Who's your daddy said:

That will tell the tale.

We are going to be good on the DL this cycle. Got to get a legit OT in this class. Grimes is struggling on that front. 

Really excited about Johnson.

Playing on the same field as several prospects with more stars next to their name, including his quarterback Paul Tyson and fellow wide receiver Dazalin Worsham, each committed to Iron Bowl rival Alabama, few made the plays he did. Johnson can dazzle with great explosion and speed as well as work underneath despite carrying a "slot receiver" label, sometimes forcing perception to live within a box of quickness without speed, precision without explosion or some combination of both. Beyond less than ideal size he has the ability to play inside or be just fine on the edge, setting up defenders with quick stabs, leverage-challenging releases and even a double-move that dropped jaws on the main stage. Moreover, Johnson has some grit to his game when the football is in the air, more physical than his slender build suggests, with body control and ball skills to catch the football away from his body like he did on two of the touchdowns he scored in the showdown.

https://247sports.com/Article/Auburn-WR-commitment-JaVarrius-Johnson-shines-at-Jordan-Hare-119236732/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Going to be a fun year here in Trussvegas. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

Going to be a fun year here in Trussvegas. 

There are a lot more Tville people on this board then I thought lol. Huskies should be pretty good as Coach Floyd has recruited pretty hard ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

There are a lot more Tville people on this board then I thought lol. Huskies should be pretty good as Coach Floyd has recruited pretty hard ?

Love it.  Trussville is loooaaadddeeddddddd.  There are probably 8-10 legit SEC caliber players starting on this team.  They all aren't seniors though.  

Want to check out some good high school football in Alabama.  Download the HuskyFast Network app.  Most games outside of the Super 7 games will appear on there.  My buddy Pat Smith calling the plays.  (Pat was the producer of the Finebaum show for years and now the producer for Cole's new show on wjox)

Go Huskies!!  HuskyFast!!!

War Eagle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Love it.  Trussville is loooaaadddeeddddddd.  There are probably 8-10 legit SEC caliber players starting on this team.  They all aren't seniors though.  

Want to check out some good high school football in Alabama.  Download the HuskyFast Network app.  Most games outside of the Super 7 games will appear on there.  My buddy Pat Smith calling the plays.  (Pat was the producer of the Finebaum show for years and now the producer for Cole's new show on wjox)

War Eagle

Question still is can someone on the North side of the state beat Hoover in a game where it counts the most?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

War Eagle

I’m ready to hear the phrase “Sneaky Pete’s Redzone” again. I miss it. 

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Question still is can someone on the North side of the state beat Hoover in a game where it counts the most?

New Area's for the 7A teams.  Hoover, HT, Thompson, Oak Mt, Spain Park, Vestavia all in the same area now.   

Edit... my bad forgot to add Mountain Brook and Tusc County as well to that area

Edited by corchjay

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I’m ready to hear the phrase “Sneaky Pete’s Redzone” again. I miss it. 

Makes me hungry listening to it... but no support given there, Ole Miss grad and dad was a Bammer player (actually as a kid and a fan of the Stallions Paul Ott Carruth was one of my favorites).  The hate is strong.  lol  Just kiddin

Edited by corchjay
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

New Area's for the 7A teams.  Hoover, HT, Thompson, Oak Mt, Spain Park, Vestavia all in the same area now.   

Glad we don’t have to make those long trips up to Huntsville any more, and I won’t miss the creampuff schedule either. 

• Like 1