Greene to negotiate new deal for Thompson

Auburn AD Allen Greene hopes to negotiate new deal for baseball coach Butch Thompson

Updated Jun 8, 11:58 AM; Posted Jun 8, 11:24 AM

Auburn athletic director Allen Greene said the school wants to work out a new contract for coach Butch Thompson, who is in the third year of a five-year deal. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

0 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Auburn hopes to keep baseball coach Butch Thompson on the Plains for the foreseeable future.

Thompson is in the third year of a five-year deal worth $350,000 annually and has enjoyed great success in a short time, guiding the Tigers to back-to-back postseason appearances for the first time in 15 years and a Super Regional for the first time since 1999. It's a situation that has Thompson, in some regards, feeling like the Tigers are "ahead of the game" during his tenure.

Now Auburn hopes to stay ahead of the game and negotiate a new deal for Thompson sooner rather than later.

"No question," Auburn athletic director Allen Greene told AL.com on Friday of working out a new contract for Thompson. "... Our responsibility is to have ongoing discussions with our coaches and our administrative staff. Just because we're toward the end of the season doesn't mean that we haven't had conversations about where we want to go. The answer really is the same that I walked about basketball; I'm getting to know all these coaches. They're getting to know me. We're having discussions."

Auburn baseball 'ahead of the game' in Year 3 under Butch Thompson

In just his third season, Butch Thompson has turned things around at Auburn and has the Tigers in a Super Regional for the first time since 1999.

Auburn may have to move quick to come to terms on a new deal with Thompson, who -- as a former assistant at Mississippi State under then-coach and current athletics director John Cohen -- is a natural candidate for the Bulldogs' coaching vacancy. Several coaches have publicly pulled their names from Mississippi State's head coaching search in the last week, including TCU's Him Schlossnagle, Louisville's Dan McDonnell and ECU's Cliff Godwin.

Thompson spent seven seasons as an assistant at Mississippi State under Cohen, including the final four as the Bulldogs' associate head coach before leaving to become the head coach at Auburn on Oct. 22, 2015, when he replaced the fired Sunny Golloway. Since then, Thompson has gone 102-80 in three seasons, including two straight NCAA Regional appearances and just the second Super Regional appearance in program history. He has also helped develop Casey Mize into the No. 1 overall MLB Draft pick this year.

ADVERTISING

It's unclear what the Bulldogs' timeline for a new coach would be. The team has performed well under interim head coach Gary Henderson, who took over following the resignation of Andy Cannizaro on Feb. 19, and will travel to Vanderbilt for a Super Regional this weekend.

The Bulldogs' timeline could add some pressure on the Tigers' side to get a new deal worked out quicker for Thompson to remain at Auburn.

"That requires different tactics on either side," Greene said.

Although Greene, who was hired at Auburn in January, wasn't the one to hire Thompson at Auburn -- his predecessor, Jay Jacobs, was responsible for that -- the Tigers' new athletics director made it clear he wants to keep Thompson on the Plains for the long haul.

"Coach Thompson has been fantastic," Greene said. "The community has embraced him. He's a first-class person, most importantly, and we want him to be here. We want him to represent Auburn and we think he's going to be really successful."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Since the under-performing women's basketball coach just got a long extension at $700,000 per year, I think we should at least pay the successful Thompson that amount, with provisions for performance bonuses.

This is the guy I wanted AU to hire all those years ago, when we hired Pawloski instead. Then after Pawloski failed, I wanted us to hire Thompson but Golloway was chosen instead. Now we've finally got Coach Thompson here, let's do what it takes to keep him.

I think AD Greene is dead serious on giving Butch everything to keep him here for the long haul. I think Butch loves being at Auburn and will stay if we give him what he is worth. I think money will not be a problem and we will pony up whatever is necessary to keep Butch here.  I cannot see MSU not retaining Henderson if he make it to the CWS of which is looking very good at the moment. Henderson has done a phenomenal job at MSU and should be rewarded for this.  If for whatever reason MSU opts not to retain Henderson, Henderson will be hired asap by some team looking for a super coach.

It is time for Auburn to become a baseball power in the SEC for the long haul.  If we get in a bidding war with MSU, we will win this in that we have deeper pockets. Would anyone speculate as to what amount is needed to keep Butch? 

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Would anyone speculate as to what amount is needed to keep Butch? 

Cannizaro was making in excess of $500,000 per year at MSU and it has been speculated that they would not shy away from $1 Million to get the right guy.  The problem may not be all money...MSU has a tradition second to none in college baseball and the the new Dudy Noble field will be spectacular.  And Mississippi is the motherland for Butch.  It looks for all the world, to me, that they already have their next head coach.  

Well this contract negotiation will definitely be interesting.

So far the AD has passed on the greatest swimming coach in Auburn history to hire a first time head coach.

He has given a contract extension to a basketball coach barely in her second contract, who has yet to come close to producing a competitive upper echelon SEC team.

He has given a contract extension to a basketball coach who has won the 3rd ever SEC Championship while still  in his first contract. 

He has begun cleaning house within the athletic department in order to streamline operations and promote innovation, creativity.

He has already said Butch is ahead of schedule.

Butch has a great recruiting class coming in.

A Regional Championship and the second ever appearance in a Super Regional.

The #1 MLB draft pick, the 1st in Auburn history, a 2 time AP All American, 4 freshman All Americans, as well as this year - 1 first team All SEC, 1 second team All SEC, 4 freshman All SEC and 1 defensive All SEC.

He is all over the place as far as hiring and contract extensions.

IMO - Butch gets a 5-7 year extension in the 500 to 600k range. With yearly bonuses based on performance and Championships.

Also some sort of raise for coaching and training staff.

The stadium is getting an indoor facility upgrade next year. I think in the negotiations there will be some sort of additional facilities upgrade promised.

22 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Cannizaro was making in excess of $500,000 per year at MSU and it has been speculated that they would not shy away from $1 Million to get the right guy.  The problem may not be all money...MSU has a tradition second to none in college baseball and the the new Dudy Noble field will be spectacular.  And Mississippi is the motherland for Butch.  It looks for all the world, to me, that they already have their next head coach.  

Are you saying Henderson is their next head coach or Butch? Henderson has been spectacular. If he gets them to Omaha and wants the job, then Cohen would be a moron for passing on Henderson. Coaches from a host of schools are telling MSU no (TCU, ECU, and another prominent school).   I think Greene will do whatever is necessary to keep Butch IMHO and if he loses Butch it will not look good at all. Auburn can once again be a prominent baseball program in the SEC and establish themselves as a player for years to come  with Butch's leadership for the long term.  I think the pressure will be on Greene to get this done and done the right way. If the mutts want to pay $1 million, then lets pay $1.25 million to keep Butch!

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Are you saying Henderson is their next head coach or Butch? 

Gary Henderson earned it long before last night, what he's done with that team (albeit uber talented) has been pretty sensational...and the team wants him.  I don't know what the personal relationship between he and John Cohen is like, but unless there is some sort of bad blood there this thing should work itself out.  MSU has their coach and we have ours and everybody is happy as long as Greene has a sound long term plan for baseball facilities' development.

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Gary Henderson earned it long before last night, what he's done with that team (albeit uber talented) has been pretty sensational...and the team wants him.  I don't know what the personal relationship between he and John Cohen is like, but unless there is some sort of bad blood there this thing should work itself out.  MSU has their coach and we have ours and everybody is happy as long as Greene has a sound long term plan for baseball facilities' development.

This makes perfect sense. Now that MSU is in the CWS, it should solidify both coaches remaining in their current jobs.  I think we lock Butch in for the long term with AD Greene putting together a package that will make Butch happy and his coaches. Coach Henderson and Butch deserve the honor of SEC Coach of the Year. We have to take care of business tonight against the reptiles!

Coach Henderson and Cohen go way back and are close to each other. When MSU's former coach left this season, Cohen sought Henderson and hired him. I have no doubt that Henderson wants the job and will be there a long time. I think he is in his mid 50s and still has many years ahead of him as a HC.  I see Butch making us a power in the SEC year in and out like Coach Baird did during his time as HC for our program.

It has been over a week since any news pertaining to Butch's contract extension has been written about.  I am getting a bit nervous. Does anyone have any information about what is going on ?  I hope this will get done asap. I appreciate any information with regard to this.

49 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It has been over a week since any news pertaining to Butch's contract extension has been written about.  I am getting a bit nervous. Does anyone have any information about what is going on ?  I hope this will get done asap. I appreciate any information with regard to this.

I imagine Coach Thompson took a break and a vacation with his family after the Supers.  He will have a new deal by the middle of August I not sooner.  JMO. 

On 6/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

:lmao::lol:  Very consistent and good program for sure, but there are lots of baseball programs across the country with as much if not more tradition than Mississippi State.  Many of those actually have National Titles too, something MSU has NEVER done.   Maybe this is their year.  

14 hours ago, around4ever said:

I imagine Coach Thompson took a break and a vacation with his family after the Supers.  He will have a new deal by the middle of August I not sooner.  JMO. 

I just hope it is with us.  He needs to say something to the effect that he is staying at Auburn and hopes to have a new deal in the not too distant future.  August 1 is a long time and I hope MSU has their coach in tact soon and one that is not Butch. We need to be serious about keeping Butch and paying him good money and giving him what he wants facility wise. Every time they mention that MSU has not made any movement towards Henderson, it makes me nervous.

As an Auburn fan, I would like for him to say that, but he owes Auburn and it’s fans no more than he has already provided to this point. He’s made Auburn baseball relevant again and with the utmost class. The ball is back in the University’s hands to make this right and get a deal done. 

Said this before but other than Marsh (maybe tubbs pending your view on that situation), auburn coaches don’t leave auburn and go other places for equal or upward moves.

butch would be in very rare air.  That being said, I hope he doesn’t go but virtually no one has been lured away.

With MSU winning game 2, they are looking more and more like destiny is in their back pocket for the CWS.  It is hard to understand why the MSU AD would not give the nod to Henderson. If he wins it all, I could not begin to understand why he would not be named the permanent HC for state. I guess time will tell very soon.

It makes me very nervous that both MSU has not named Henderson as head coach and AU has not completed the deal with Butch. Not a good sign......... no insider stuff from me on BB jmo

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

It makes me very nervous that both MSU has not named Henderson as head coach and AU has not completed the deal with Butch. Not a good sign......... no insider stuff from me on BB jmo

I hate to even think about it, but if we lose Butch, who do we go for?  Go for Henderson & Gautreax his hitting coach?  Casey Dunn at Samford, Steve Smith, our current pitching coach. Gage Gross? Tadlock from Texas Tech.  Nick Mengione from UK.  I hope this is just thinking out loud and nothing to be concerned with.  AD Greene needs to get going asap.  You know that MSU at this point has Butch on their Radar but to what degree?

He better hurry up and do it before Miss St loses and they play that card. Lock him down while there is still debate on whether or not Henderson gets the job. I don't think there is any other school that could pull Butch and if they hire someone else, it will be another 3 or 4 years before we would have to potentially worry about it again.

AD Greene needs to speak up now and let Butch know he is ready to give Butch all that he needs to stay aboard.  I do not think he is going anywhere, but this needs to be taken care of asap and not put off until the end of the CWS. The longer Greene waits the more the mutts can get a foot in the door. I guess I am too impatient, but we finally have a coach who can provide Auburn with a long term commitment of championship caliber baseball.  Gotta get it done asap AD Greene.

Gus - “Hey Butch this is Gus”

Butch - ”Yeah Gus how you doing”

Gus - ”Great, great, thanks, hey I want to give you a little advice.  Now listen to me, about  Moo state, you spent time coaching there and Mississippi is your home state. It is the same situation Arkansas was for me. Now when they fired jug butt everyone knew they would come after me. Now what my agent did is go to every news paper and radio station in pigville and manipulate them into spreading all kinds of crazy stories.”

Butch - ”Really....Go on”

Gus - ”Yeah, No lie Butch, now what this did was make all the Auburn folks think I was leaving after I had just taken them to the SEC Championship.....but all the rumors floating around about porky pig wanting me and how much they were willing to pay......well....let me tell you Butch, my agent just had a good ole time negotiating that fat new contact for me.”

Butch - “You don’t say”

Gus - “If i’m Lying i’m Dying”

Butch - “Well, that is just like the position i’m In.”

Gus - “I know...right....you want my agents number?”

Butch - “Nah..I got a good one...but thanks anyways

Gus - “Oh..hey Butch, now I know it’s none of my business, but if you accept anything less than $700,000.....Bruce and I will never talk to you again. Greene gave that to Flo and she has not done ?, alright, good luck talk to you later.”

44 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Gus - “Hey Butch this is Gus”

Butch - ”Yeah Gus how you doing”

Gus - ”Great, great, thanks, hey I want to give you a little advice.  Now listen to me, about  Moo state, you spent time coaching there and Mississippi is your home state. It is the same situation Arkansas was for me. Now when they fired jug butt everyone knew they would come after me. Now what my agent did is go to every news paper and radio station in pigville and manipulate them into spreading all kinds of crazy stories.”

Butch - ”Really....Go on”

Gus - ”Yeah, No lie Butch, now what this did was make all the Auburn folks think I was leaving after I had just taken them to the SEC Championship.....but all the rumors floating around about porky pig wanting me and how much they were willing to pay......well....let me tell you Butch, my agent just had a good ole time negotiating that fat new contact for me.”

Butch - “You don’t say”

Gus - “If i’m Lying i’m Dying”

Butch - “Well, that is just like the position i’m In.”

Gus - “I know...right....you want my agents number?”

Butch - “Nah..I got a good one...but thanks anyways

Gus - “Oh..hey Butch, now I know it’s none of my business, but if you accept anything less than $700,000.....Bruce and I will never talk to you again. Greene gave that to Flo and she has not done ?, alright, good luck talk to you later.”

Actual conversation that probably has or is going to happen...

Butch's Agent - "Hey Butch. I'm leveraging the crap out of Mississippi State not locking down their guy to make everyone think you're going to jump ship for their job. I'm going to get you a massive raise to stay at Auburn."

Butch - "Cool. Thanks."

Butch's Agent - "Hey, that's what you pay me for. By the way, thanks for the percentage."

Get it done ASAP AD Greene!  I feel pretty sure we will keep Butch, but the longer it sits out there the longer MSU has to put together a package to lure Butch away.  Has Butch made any comments with regard to a new contract with Auburn?  I have not heard anything whatsoever about this from Butch or anyone representing him.  If I was in AD Greene's shoes, I would have already locked Butch down to a contract that would make Butch happy and keep him at Auburn till he grows old and gray with a dozen CWS under his belt.

Greene needs to act yesterday to make this happen. Maybe there are negotiations going on in the background that we do not know of. The suspense is killing the Doc! If we lose Butch, my love for AD Greene will go out the window and down the toilet.  Maybe JJ was not so bad after all if this goes down the toilet and we lose Butch. Sorry to rant, but this is rough on the Doc's nerves!

If Butch wants to go back to MSU, he will go no matter what Greene does.  I suspect that Greene is going to give unprecedented support for AU baseball.  Greene appears to be making the AD his own and him being a former BB player leads one to believe we are going to enjoy the ride. 

If Butch doesn’t want to be part of that, we will get someone else. AU is a great brand. 

Archived