Null



aubiefifty

greene discusses changes

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

as far as the coach Flo  extension?   IDK, what was he supposed to do.   Hasn't  been on  the Job six months. 

What was he supposed to do? He was supposed to look at the w/l record and if he feels the timing isn't right for a firing, grant a one-year extension, not the ridiculous four years he gave her.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




On 6/9/2018 at 6:29 AM, aubiefifty said:

Greene fired six Auburn athletics administrators on Monday, signaling a change in era and way of doing business for a department that had become bloated with C-suite positions and six-figure salaries with ambiguous job titles and responsibilities.

^^This statement tells me all I need to know.^^ 

After 6 months of evaluation, assessments were made and 6 "Administrators" lost their jobs and 6 figure salaries.  How long have these folks been on the AU payroll?   

AG looked at the organization, saw were he needed to streamline the operations, consolidate responsibilities, and decided that the organization had to adapt.  He weighed the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel in the AD and cut the fat, which is a good thing! 

Hell, if half a dozen Administrators have ambiguous job titles with vague responsibilities and those duties can be absorbed by another Administrator, then why keep them on staff?   

I firmly believe there will be more to come as he continues to evaluate the operations - and I fine with it.  If later down the road AG finds that he needs to adapt again & adjust his staff, then he can bring in a fresh set of eyes (new blood.)

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, corchjay said:

I’m not sure how to take the comment of come here and work a number of years and then find another job...  what if multiple people are doing their jobs at a high level we are encouraging them to leave just for the sake of leaving and fresh ideas??

In my opinion, he's addressing the fact that our AD was mired in 30+ years of doing things like "we did in the good 'ol days", and how it's important to continually bring in fresh ideas to keep that from happening. He also qualified his statement by talking about moving on to other opportunities. What I hope his is alluding to is turning Auburn into a breeding ground for sought after AD talent who cut their teeth with us, positively affecting the department along the way, and then move onto top level positions at other schools when their reach their natural ceiling here (because there are only so many top level positions to go around). I imagine he's also subtly alluding to the fact that he's not going to be keeping people around who aren't pulling their weight... which can't necessarily be said about the prior AD.

On 6/10/2018 at 1:34 AM, corchjay said:

Let’s see how it turns out.  His first really big decision.  Coach Flo in my opinion is a total stinker.

I see how it looks like that on the surface, but like he said, he sat down with her and discussed her plan. What he could have found out is that she wasn't getting the cooperation she needed, previously, and she outlined a plan that, in his assessment, had serious potential. She's also got a rock star class coming in (a short rock star class, but talented, none-the-less), which says something. I applaud him for giving all of our coaches a chance to sell their plan instead of just looking at records alone to make his decisions. 

Incidentally, one thing I haven't heard about her contract is what the buy-out is. It could very well be that he gave her an extension to show confidence in her, but made it very easy to pull the plug if her plan isn't working.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see people looking at it in multiple ways. One getting rid of deadwood or people who are resistant to new vision. Another is wanting motivated people with ambition and new ideas. It is to early to decide which he was really speaking to. Like many the Flo decision baffled me.  I initially said ok with it but the more I have thought about it I could see a 1-2 year extension especially with the strong class she just brought in even though that class lacks the size we need but 5 years was to much.

Basically I am hoping he is a home run hire and I will wait at least 1-2 years before I pick what type of hire he is. Four months into his hire it is to early to say yea or nay about him. I am pulling for him as if he does well Auburn does well but because I am pulling for him it won't influence how I view him 18 months from now. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

In my opinion, he's addressing the fact that our AD was mired in 30+ years of doing things like "we did in the good 'ol days", and how it's important to continually bring in fresh ideas to keep that from happening. He also qualified his statement by talking about moving on to other opportunities. What I hope his is alluding to is turning Auburn into a breeding ground for sought after AD talent who cut their teeth with us, positively affecting the department along the way, and then move onto top level positions at other schools when their reach their natural ceiling here (because there are only so many top level positions to go around). I imagine he's also subtly alluding to the fact that he's not going to be keeping people around who aren't pulling their weight... which can't necessarily be said about the prior AD.

I see how it looks like that on the surface, but like he said, he sat down with her and discussed her plan. What he could have found out is that she wasn't getting the cooperation she needed, previously, and she outlined a plan that, in his assessment, had serious potential. She's also got a rock star class coming in (a short rock star class, but talented, none-the-less), which says something. I applaud him for giving all of our coaches a chance to sell their plan instead of just looking at records alone to make his decisions. 

Incidentally, one thing I haven't heard about her contract is what the buy-out is. It could very well be that he gave her an extension to show confidence in her, but made it very easy to pull the plug if her plan isn't working.

That’s what’s great about message boards we can all have our own opinions.  And I definitely loath group think so a variety of opinions is a good thing.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe with Women's basketball coach Flo brought up ideas to help her improve that proram that were requested to JJ but not getting done and maybe AG saw that.  He may not have wanted to cut her lose if she was not given all the resources to help the team be more successful.   He mentioned about being visible at games, maybe JJ didn't attend many and the support just wasn't there from the top of the AD.   Let her stay work with the new AD on ways to improve and this could be his first real thumbprint on something he came in and "fixed". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the surface I agree with those who say giving Flo a five year extension was a fail.  That said, without seeing the contract I think it is premature to conclude that the extension is a fail. 

Another point. JJ spent many years building his fiefdom, and it is going to take time to make informed decisions about changes needed in the AD.  At this point I simply don’t have sufficient information upon which to make a good judgment on AG.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, aubiefifty said:

"I want there to be turnover in our department," he said. "I think that it's healthy to have natural turnover

Why couldn't UA have hired this guy? Saban's been there over a decade!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

On the surface I agree with those who say giving Flo a five year extension was a fail.  That said, without seeing the contract I think it is premature to conclude that the extension is a fail. 

Another point. JJ spent many years building his fiefdom, and it is going to take time to make informed decisions about changes needed in the AD.  At this point I simply don’t have sufficient information upon which to make a good judgment on AG.  

AMEN!

That fiefdom quite obviously employed some redundant Administrators pulling over $100,000/yr + benefits, whose duties were ambiguous and who's responsibilities could've been consolidated and streamlined with better management principles. 

It's inevitable with a guy like JJ who'd been in the AD for decades in some capacity and later became the head man in charge would pile up some friends and co-workers that he felt a sense of loyalty to them and he'd was to help and protect.  It's just what happens when a director is in place for an extended period of time.  

It's a New Day at Auburn!  A new set of eyes and new blood from the TOP - out with the old/in with the new.  New ideas, new management style, fresh/new operating procedures.  Embrace it folks, it is a much needed transition and IMHO Auburn will reap the benefits.:happydance:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CYA takes layers and JJ built himself quite a few layers of protection

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

CYA takes layers and JJ built himself quite a few layers of protection

So (maybe wandering into my ignorance to be cute?),

Mr. Greene is just clearing out old, multi-ply deadwood?

(wasn't it properly treated?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mikey said:

What was he supposed to do? He was supposed to look at the w/l record and if he feels the timing isn't right for a firing, grant a one-year extension, not the ridiculous four years he gave her.

 

I think he was forced to extend it 4 years, so that recruits would know that she is here during their time at AUburn. I think she used the short extension JJ gave her back in '16 and other issues that she probably says kept her from building the program right (Now I think he should have let her go after 6 years)...so this extension is on him.

But I expect after 2 years that if the program looks like it does now, then he WILL let her go...

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bigbird said:

CYA takes layers and JJ built himself quite a few layers of protection

Humm seems like I heard that before:poke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think he was forced to extend it 4 years, so that recruits would know that she is here during their time at AUburn. I think she used the short extension JJ gave her back in '16 and other issues that she probably says kept her from building the program right (Now I think he should have let her go after 6 years)...so this extension is on him.

But I expect after 2 years that if the program looks like it does now, then he WILL let her go...

Exactly the buyout I'm fairly certain is peanuts for Auburn compare to what we're use to in football and basketball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, keesler said:

^^This statement tells me all I need to know.^^ 

After 6 months of evaluation, assessments were made and 6 "Administrators" lost their jobs and 6 figure salaries.  How long have these folks been on the AU payroll?   

AG looked at the organization, saw were he needed to streamline the operations, consolidate responsibilities, and decided that the organization had to adapt.  He weighed the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel in the AD and cut the fat, which is a good thing! 

Hell, if half a dozen Administrators have ambiguous job titles with vague responsibilities and those duties can be absorbed by another Administrator, then why keep them on staff?   

I firmly believe there will be more to come as he continues to evaluate the operations - and I fine with it.  If later down the road AG finds that he needs to adapt again & adjust his staff, then he can bring in a fresh set of eyes (new blood.)

 

 

I agree, as long as the six-figure incomes are gone for good, and not just replaced with other people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mikey said:

What was he supposed to do? He was supposed to look at the w/l record and if he feels the timing isn't right for a firing, grant a one-year extension, not the ridiculous four years he gave her.

 

Certainly seems like that would have been a good common sense decision.  It didn’t happen.  Again, this is his first very bad decision, I hope it’s his last.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I agree, as long as the six-figure incomes are gone for good, and not just replaced with other people.

I'll not put a limitation on AG, he's running this thing as he sees fit.  He saw the need to trim the staff, consolidate duties, and purge Administrative positions that he felt could be absorbed by others.  If he takes another 6 months to evaluate his department, and feels the need to adjust his staff again then so be it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'll not put a limitation on AG, he's running this thing as he sees fit.  He saw the need to trim the staff, consolidate duties, and purge Administrative positions that he felt could be absorbed by others.  If he takes another 6 months to evaluate his department, and feels the need to adjust his staff again then so be it.

Exactly. Constant evaluation and adjustment is a survival skill, not a detriment. Hopefully it's a cornerstone of the entire AD's (and school's) culture and vision. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I take from this thread is...... people have no idea at the mess that is the AD dept at AU. Lot more changes are coming. Lot more. As far as Greene? He is a bit overwhelmed right now. 

As far a Flo goes, just wasn't as easy as giving someone a one year extension. This was/is a battle that isn't no where near the top of the to do list. One that can wait. 

The Bruce extension, would never have been done without Greene IMO. So what if it took some time. Was a little complicated deal. 

Fundraising? Haven't seen or heard of much of this. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As far a Flo goes, just wasn't as easy as giving someone a one year extension. This was/is a battle that isn't no where near the top of the to do list. One that can wait. 

Supposedly she just landed the best recruiting class at AU the past 2 decades & that apparently saved her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

All I take from this thread is...... people have no idea at the mess that is the AD dept at AU. Lot more changes are coming. Lot more. As far as Greene? He is a bit overwhelmed right now. 

 

This makes me smile!  Thx WDE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keesler said:

I'll not put a limitation on AG, he's running this thing as he sees fit.  He saw the need to trim the staff, consolidate duties, and purge Administrative positions that he felt could be absorbed by others.  If he takes another 6 months to evaluate his department, and feels the need to adjust his staff again then so be it.

Thank you . Some of these people commenting can leave you scratching your head. But then again, there is a lot of misinformed individuals out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know it was time for an overhaul in the AD - the staffing/salaries were allowed to swell to enormous proportions which is to be expected when an AD is in control too long.  Millions upon millions are pouring into athletics.  The revenue stream has increased exponentially with the TV contracts + the $$ the conference as a whole distributes with the SEC acting as King of the Hill in the cash cow sport of football for over a decade,  every member has reaped the rewards greatly.  Boosting up the AD staff could have been justified to an extent, and likely very few folks questioned Jacobs management of his staff.

After only 6 months, AG was able to come in and take a comprehensive look at the staffing and came to the conclusion that half a dozen Administrators were redundant, with ambiguous titles, vague job responsibilities and their duties could be absorbed by others on staff, there's no doubt there will be more heads to roll.  Sounds like this was just the first wave.

Good riddance Good Ole Boy Network, it's a New Day at Auburn University!  WDE!

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, keesler said:

After only 6 months, AG was able to come in and take a comprehensive look at the staffing and came to the conclusion that half a dozen Administrators were redundant, with ambiguous titles, vague job responsibilities and their duties could be absorbed by others on staff, there's no doubt there will be more heads to roll.  Sounds like this was just the first wave.

Good riddance Good Ole Boy Network, it's a New Day at Auburn University!  WDE!

I'm looking at the recent actions from a different perspective. Everybody that was let go, as best I can tell, was closely involved in the softball mess. I think this first wave wasn't the result of a comprehensive look, but a necessary removal of potential liabilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm looking at the recent actions from a different perspective. Everybody that was let go, as best I can tell, was closely involved in the softball mess. I think this first wave wasn't the result of a comprehensive look, but a necessary removal of potential liabilities.

Admittedly you've done more research that I have on the back ground of the former employees.  If they played a part in the softball sex scandal and posed a liability to AU, then it's good that they're gone.  The writer (Crepea) made it sound like the terminations were a result of evaluations within the department where AG wanted to streamline operations -  He never mentioned the softball crap in the entire article.

With that said, I'm even more encouraged for the future because that means even more trimming is on the horizon in this AD.  Greene may find that Jacobs had a religiously loyal crew and some of them may not take a shine to the new management style.  

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now