greene discusses changes

aubiefifty

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

With that said, I'm even more encouraged for the future because that means even more trimming is on the horizon in this AD.  Greene may find that Jacobs had a religiously loyal crew and some of them may not take a shine to the new management style.

I think what he's even more likely to find is that a good portion of the department has their positions because of who they knew and not what they were capable of.  That's the hallmark of a good ol' boy driven organization. Time to focus on talent instead of connections.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SIAP, but

"Greene said he understands the context under which Dean inherited the team and that will go into his evaluation of the program.

"Assessing softball is similar to assessing soccer, volleyball, football, basketball, the whole thing: You have to look at it in its totality," Greene said. "Certainly, understanding that coach Dean came in under a really unique set of circumstances that most coaches don't have to face."

How Auburn athletic director Allen Greene will evaluate softball program, at

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/how_auburn_athletic_director_a.html

The more articles that emerge about investing in facility improvements the better.  AU and the former Administrative regime drug their feet to the point where we are lagging behind many other programs in our own conference.  I look forward to the day when AU facilities are equal and on par with the rest of the big boys.

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

The more articles that emerge about investing in facility improvements the better.  AU and the former Administrative regime drug their feet to the point where we are lagging behind many other programs in our own conference.  I look forward to the day when AU facilities are equal and on par with the rest of the big boys.

I think it was less dragging their feet and more a pocketbook referendum from the major donors.There were plenty of facilities proposals, but very few got past the donor feedback stage. That tells me the big money wanted change before they were going to invest. We'll see if Greene is the change they were looking for.

Of course, some of the facilities improvements being green-lit now are interesting, because most won't pay for themselves. Football and Basketball will always be able to pay for themselves in a fairly short period. Softball pretty much never will. If we currently dumped every dime of revenue (approx $450k/year)  into the approved upgrade, it would take 10 years to pay it off, and that's not happening, since we need cover all other expenses involved with maintaining a program (incidentally, our coaches make nearly $100k more than the program brings in). So, even if we improve and bring in the big softball money (up to $2 mil/year) by the time we get close to covering the cost, it will need to be renovated/updated.

I understand where you're coming from lionheart and see what you're saying.

The bottom line is if a program isn't constantly upgrading, renovating and pouring $$ into the facilities in line with the immediate conference competitors, then they are taking a backseat.  I want AU at the front of the bus, blazing a path where the conference foe have to work like to keep up.  Money's been cheap for a decade now and AU has watched conference brothers make improvements all over the place in tons of sports programs.  If financing isn't an issue for them, then it damn sure shouldn't be for AU.  

One very important issue that must come off successfully will be how Greene works to keep Butch away from the mutts and securely in our fold for many years to come. At first I was somewhat upset with his choice for the new swimming HC, but after seeing the choices the new HC made for his assistants I am fully on board with the choice of HC. As always, time will tell the story.

I am happy with the way it turned out for Coach Pearl and am happy with the job the AD with keeping Bruce on board for the foreseeable long term. The contract extension for the ladies basketball coach is a head scratcher.  I hope coach Flo can get this team competitive on a high level where we challenge for the conference championship on a yearly basis.

If I had to give AD Greene a grade, it would be a B; and on a 1-10 scale it would be an 8. If he successfully secures Butch for the long term, then I would give the AD an A- an a 9 on the 1-10 scale.

I am not so sure what Jacobs would have done in each of these situations.  I would hope that he would secure Butch for the long term.

25 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

One very important issue that must come off successfully will be how Greene works to keep Butch away from the mutts and securely in our fold for many years to come. At first I was somewhat upset with his choice for the new swimming HC, but after seeing the choices the new HC made for his assistants I am fully on board with the choice of HC. As always, time will tell the story.

I am happy with the way it turned out for Coach Pearl and am happy with the job the AD with keeping Bruce on board for the foreseeable long term. The contract extension for the ladies basketball coach is a head scratcher.  I hope coach Flo can get this team competitive on a high level where we challenge for the conference championship on a yearly basis.

If I had to give AD Greene a grade, it would be a B; and on a 1-10 scale it would be an 8. If he successfully secures Butch for the long term, then I would give the AD an A- an a 9 on the 1-10 scale.

I am not so sure what Jacobs would have done in each of these situations.  I would hope that he would secure Butch for the long term.

' "If I'm sitting down and talking to him about it right now, that would be a bad move on my part, right?" Greene said, referring to the Tigers' heartbreaking loss less than 24 hours ago in Gainesville, Florida. "So, coach and I have talked about being around here for a long time and we want him here for a long time. And so I feel very comfortable with where our discussions have gone so far. He loves this place. After the game and after the tough loss last night, he talked about how much he loved his players and there's not much more you can ask for out of a coach.'

Allen Greene: Auburn wants Butch Thompson 'for a long time' at https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Athletics-director-Allen-Greene-Auburn-Tigers-want-Butch-Thompson-as-baseball-head-coach-for-a-long-time-119003471

WDE

On Auburn's facilities master plan:
"We have to make sure that we're looking 5-10 years out all the time. Then, every other year we're calibrating based on whatever happened previously. Facilities are incredibly important, more so for the benefit of our student-athletes. Part of it is recruiting, but part of it is making sure that our young people are in the best possible position. There's no secret that, in this league, everybody wants to win, everybody wants to be successful and everybody wants to develop their young people, so we have to make sure that we don't fall behind. We want to do the opposite; we want to get ahead of the curve. We're going to look to do those things and get the Auburn fanbase excited."...

On if he plans to launch any new initiatives:
"We're always talking about the future and part of it is I'm working to get an understanding where we are now. I need to take a look back in the rear view mirror a little bit to see kind of how we got to where we are, and slowly but surely, you start to figure out, 'OK, here are the things we need to move forward.' We're starting to put those pieces of the puzzle together. We're starting to put the pieces of a facilities master plan together, of a strategic plan together. Certainly, from a staffing perspective, how to best serve our student-athletes. We're seeing those things start to happen. A lot of it is going to be behind the scenes, but we're working hard to make sure that when we put something in front of you, that it's exciting and something that our fans can get behind."...

On what he's learned on the job so far:
"I learn every day. I learn about the Auburn family. I learn about the pride and the passion that our fans have. I learn about the pride and the passion that our staff has. Our jobs are lifestyle jobs and we don't see our families at home very much. We spend lots of time with our people in the office and supporting our student-athletes. One of the things I really respect about the Auburn family is they understand and they want to win; they're passionate about that. But they also understand that we need to develop Auburn men and Auburn women and make sure we're preparing people for the real world. I'm excited. I think it's a really great fit for someone of my profile to be down here at Auburn. I'm looking forward to serving this department and this university, and hopefully be having great things to come in the future." '

Excerpts from Auburn AD Allen Greene talks winning culture, facilities at https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/auburn_ad_allen_greene_talks_f.html

Note: Several other excerpts here of potential use in other threads

On 6/12/2018 at 10:24 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

All I take from this thread is...... people have no idea at the mess that is the AD dept at AU. Lot more changes are coming. Lot more. As far as Greene? He is a bit overwhelmed right now. 

As far a Flo goes, just wasn't as easy as giving someone a one year extension. This was/is a battle that isn't no where near the top of the to do list. One that can wait. 

The Bruce extension, would never have been done without Greene IMO. So what if it took some time. Was a little complicated deal. 

Fundraising? Haven't seen or heard of much of this. 

Completely completely agree...................................

On 6/12/2018 at 9:40 AM, keesler said:

I'll not put a limitation on AG, he's running this thing as he sees fit.  He saw the need to trim the staff, consolidate duties, and purge Administrative positions that he felt could be absorbed by others.  If he takes another 6 months to evaluate his department, and feels the need to adjust his staff again then so be it.

I’m not sure, but possibly missing the point? He’s not trimming the staff and consolidating duties, if he simply replaces a certain amount of six-figure incomes with other six-figure incomes.

I’m not sure how it is in other athletic departments around the country, but do you realize, if you include coaches, and the entire athletic department, we are approaching almost a 1 to 2 ratio with coaches and AD staff to players. Pretty crazy!

On 6/12/2018 at 10:24 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

All I take from this thread is...... people have no idea at the mess that is the AD dept at AU. Lot more changes are coming. Lot more. As far as Greene? He is a bit overwhelmed right now. 

As far a Flo goes, just wasn't as easy as giving someone a one year extension. This was/is a battle that isn't no where near the top of the to do list. One that can wait. 

The Bruce extension, would never have been done without Greene IMO. So what if it took some time. Was a little complicated deal. 

Fundraising? Haven't seen or heard of much of this. 

Agree, he’s overwhelmed and in over his head as JJ was when he started. Hopefully he learns quick!

The majority of boosters and money people wanted Bruce Pearl back with or without Greene? The Flo deal was an easy one, one or two year extension, if you don’t produce, you’re gone. 

JJ, who left the AD in such a mess, was a pretty good fundraiser. Supposedly, one of the main reasons Greene was brought in, was because he was such a great fundraiser. So, what is going on?

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Agree, he’s overwhelmed and in over his head as JJ was when he started. Hopefully he learns quick!

The majority of boosters and money people wanted Bruce Pearl back with or without Greene? The Flo deal was an easy one, one or two year extension, if you don’t produce, you’re gone. 

JJ, who left the AD in such a mess, was a pretty good fundraiser. Supposedly, one of the main reasons Greene was brought in, was because he was such a great fundraiser. So, what is going on?

Not that you addressed me with this response, but most indications were that Pres Leath, and possibly AU Compliance wanted Bruce gone.  They allowed the story to leak to the media that BP would not cooperate with AU's internal investigation, and without Greene in place to fight for BP's job, he'd likely be gone by now.  (I'd have to think the boosters & cash folks wanted BP at any cost)

There's no doubt Jacob's left the AD in a mess, a look at the lawsuits (Baseball - Sunny Galloway/Softball-sex scandal Title XI/Track Discrimination) were enough to sink any AD, then pile on with the Basketball mess with 3 coaches involved and 2 players benched for violations and very few AD's could survive that storm.

Greene had to be overwhelmed with the hornets nest he walked into when he took the job, and Leath as well.  

For those who say that Greene is replacing the six he fired, where have you seen that info. Nothing I have seen says anything like that.  Thanks a bunch.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:19 PM, keesler said:

Not that you addressed me with this response, but most indications were that Pres Leath, and possibly AU Compliance wanted Bruce gone.  They allowed the story to leak to the media that BP would not cooperate with AU's internal investigation, and without Greene in place to fight for BP's job, he'd likely be gone by now.  (I'd have to think the boosters & cash folks wanted BP at any cost)

There's no doubt Jacob's left the AD in a mess, a look at the lawsuits (Baseball - Sunny Galloway/Softball-sex scandal Title XI/Track Discrimination) were enough to sink any AD, then pile on with the Basketball mess with 3 coaches involved and 2 players benched for violations and very few AD's could survive that storm.

Greene had to be overwhelmed with the hornets nest he walked into when he took the job, and Leath as well.  

No problem; I stand by what I said above.

New position created and Associate AD hired today from Notre Dame.....article in al.com with details....

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

New position created and Associate AD hired today from Notre Dame.....article in al.com with details....

Excerpt from another source:

"AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn’s second round of changes within the athletics administration are underway.

Notre Dame’s Brant Ust has been hired as an associate athletics director of administration, Auburn Undercover has learned. Ust was added to Auburn’s list of administrators on its website Tuesday...

"He's going to help support the day-to-day operations of the athletics department," Greene told reporters. "All the internal stuff, working with (chief operating officer) Marcy Girton to make sure that we're efficient and effective in serving our student-athletes."

Ust previously served as an assistant athletics director and executive director for the Notre Dame Monogram Club. He also oversaw the men’s golf program at Notre Dame.

Greene and Ust have a strong connection as former teammates on the Notre Dame baseball team in the late 1990s. Ust graduated from Notre Dame in 2001. He played nine years of professional baseball in the minor leagues as part of the Detroit Tigers’ farm system. He was selected in the sixth round of the MLB Draft."

More changes: Auburn hires Notre Dame assistant AD at https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/More-changes-Auburn-hires-Notre-Dame-associate-athletics-director-119180569/

So... For future reference, we should all aquaint ourselves with the Notre Dame athletic Dept so that we have an idea of what the AU Dept will be soon?

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So... For future reference, we should all aquaint ourselves with the Notre Dame athletic Dept so that we have an idea of what the AU Dept will be soon?

Wouldn't say so. The new guy's background is getting current players on the right track and connecting them with jobs when they leave AU. Something that needed to be done at AU years ago. 

There are more "layoffs" coming. 

On 6/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, AU-24 said:

Not true. 

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Hey, they know how to turn sustained mediocrity into a national brand. Their most famous export was an untalented, undersized walk-on who never accomplished anything.

J/k. I do like the idea of bringing in someone with intimate knowledge of and exposure to a national brand that exists within significantly different parameters than ours ever has. Could be Al Borges or it could be Tony Franklin, but I'm always for changing the lens every now and then. Onward. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wouldn't say so. The new guy's background is getting current players on the right track and connecting them with jobs when they leave AU. Something that needed to be done at AU years ago. 

We haven't been doing that?!?!?!

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Previous claims for Irish origins of cronyism have been largely discredited.

'The word "crony" first appeared in 17th-century London, according to the Oxford English Dictionary and is believed to be derived from the Greek word chronios (χρόνιος), meaning "long-term".[4]

Another oft-quoted source is the supposed Irish term Comh-Roghna, said by Daniel Cassidy to translate as "close pals", or mutual friends.[5] However, Daniel Cassidy's work is untrustworthy. The word comhrogha [ˈkoʊraʊə or ˈkoʊreɪ, depending on dialect] does not have the meanings of pal or friend and Cassidy failed to provide any evidence for his definition. In reality, comhrogha (older spelling comroga) means alternative or rival.[6]'

[Highlights mine]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronyism

Archived