greene discusses changes

aubiefifty

6 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Previous claims for Irish origins of cronyism have been largely discredited.

'The word "crony" first appeared in 17th-century London, according to the Oxford English Dictionary and is believed to be derived from the Greek word chronios (χρόνιος), meaning "long-term".[4]

Another oft-quoted source is the supposed Irish term Comh-Roghna, said by Daniel Cassidy to translate as "close pals", or mutual friends.[5] However, Daniel Cassidy's work is untrustworthy. The word comhrogha [ˈkoʊraʊə or ˈkoʊreɪ, depending on dialect] does not have the meanings of pal or friend and Cassidy failed to provide any evidence for his definition. In reality, comhrogha (older spelling comroga) means alternative or rival.[6]'

[Highlights mine]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronyism

Thanks pal!

I can truly say that I learned something today.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

So... For future reference, we should all aquaint ourselves with the Notre Dame athletic Dept so that we have an idea of what the AU Dept will be soon?

Or at least anyone currently working for an athletic department who used to play ball at Notre Dame with Greene.

I don't have anything specific against this move, but I have to say that I'm not overly excited that his first big administrative hire was to give one of his buddies a position on the staff. At least this guy seems to be qualified.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or at least anyone currently working for an athletic department who used to play ball at Notre Dame with Greene.

I don't have anything specific against this move, but I have to say that I'm not overly excited that his first big administrative hire was to give one of his buddies a position on the staff. At least this guy seems to be qualified.

Kinda where I was leaning too.  Thus my T-in-C post.

However, upon reading some history on the new hire, I wonder if it's not an eye towards keeping baseball & (fixing) softball running well.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Kinda where I was leaning too.  Thus my T-in-C post.

However, upon reading some history on the new hire, I wonder if it's not an eye towards keeping baseball & (fixing) softball running well.

Yea... that crossed my mind as well.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Baseball & Softball looks to be well managed in the future with this new hire. 

I for one welcome Ust after the piss poor way this AD chose to handle the Sunny Galloway AND Corey Myers situations which resulted in costly lawsuits and a black eye on Auburn.  We need to polish the image of both of those programs, hopefully we've got the man for the job.  

Keep this thing rolling Greene!  WDE

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We haven't been doing that?!?!?!

Don't think you are asking an unbiased source.....I keep wondering if we have some posters who could not get hired by JJ.....lots of personal animus from some folks. .:dunno:

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't think you are asking an unbiased source.....I keep wondering if we have some posters who could not get hired by JJ.....lots of personal animus from some folks. .:dunno:

That's rich. 

So what exactly is this guy going to be doing again? Even after reading the descriptor , it seems like another one of those roles we just got rid of. Anywho, we will see how it plays out.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

So what exactly is this guy going to be doing again? Even after reading the descriptor , it seems like another one of those roles we just got rid of. Anywho, we will see how it plays out.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wouldn't say so. The new guy's background is getting current players on the right track and connecting them with jobs when they leave AU. Something that needed to be done at AU years ago. 

There are more "layoffs" coming. 

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ahhhh thanks bud . Clearly I can’t read lol

Haha no worries. It's hard to read every single post in the thread, especially the ones like that that don't get many responses.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's rich. 

Believe what you want....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Believe what you want....

The irony is getting really deep really fast.

(I only believe what I see. Sometimes I misread things, but when I do, I admit it.)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:
1 hour ago, DAG said:

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wouldn't say so. The new guy's background is getting current players on the right track and connecting them with jobs when they leave AU. Something that needed to be done at AU years ago. 

There are more "layoffs" coming. 

It also sounds like, from Greene's comments, that he'll be handling a lot of the internal kinds of things to free Greene up to be more active outside of the office.  Kind of a liaison between the school administration and the AD.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think you will find that it's just a matter of people being painted in a certain light for so long, whether deserving or not or a little of both, combined with people's inability to let things go. For some people, Jay Jacobs is going to be the embodiment of evil forever because he was bad at certain aspects of his job and because he allowed some people to manipulate him. Some of those people are going to blame him for things that he had nothing to do with and exaggerate his failings, too. It is what it is.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Do you know Jay personally?  I don't, I've met him on occasion over the years at various functions.  I'm sure he's a fine Christian family man who loves/loved Auburn with all his heart - Auburn was breed into him.

The bottom line is that I don't like to see the Auburn "brand" getting drug through the mud with incident after incident from inappropriate sexual conduct by a coach resulting in a Title XI lawsuit, to a racial discrimination lawsuit, to Federal investigations into an AU coach, to the NCAA benching 2 players for an entire season, to a wrongful termination lawsuit ALL within the Athletic Department administered by the same Athletic Director.  

Once Auburn obtained a President that gave a crap about athletics there was no choice but to kick Jacobs to the curb.  The crap was piling up one on top of the other for nearly 2 years, the AD was poorly managed and administered.  Therefore, we see a new AD and he's making an attempt to clean this thing up.  Hopefully it will benefit Auburn greatly into the future.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Do you know Jay personally?  I don't, I've met him on occasion over the years at various functions.  I'm sure he's a fine Christian family man who loves/loved Auburn with all his heart - Auburn was breed into him.

The bottom line is that I don't like to see the Auburn "brand" getting drug through the mud with incident after incident from inappropriate sexual conduct by a coach resulting in a Title XI lawsuit, to a racial discrimination lawsuit, to Federal investigations into an AU coach, to the NCAA benching 2 players for an entire season, to a wrongful termination lawsuit ALL within the Athletic Department administered by the same Athletic Director.  

Once Auburn obtained a President that gave a crap about athletics there was no choice but to kick Jacobs to the curb.  The crap was piling up one on top of the other for nearly 2 years, the AD was poorly managed and administered.  Therefore, we see a new AD and he's making an attempt to clean this thing up.  Hopefully it will benefit Auburn greatly into the future.

Don't forget that media relations were piss poor for the entirety of his tenure. A lot of that in terms of football rests on Gus's shoulders, but even that could have been mitigated with some effort and savvy I would imagine. Greene is already making strides there IMO. 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't forget that media relations were piss poor for the entirety of his tenure. A lot of that in terms of football rests on Gus's shoulders, but even that could have been mitigated with some effort and savvy I would imagine. Greene is already making strides there IMO. 

VERY true!

I have no animus towards Jacobs, only a sense of relief that he has moved on to inhabit the Swamp.  I fail to see any angle where the AD could've gotten any worse, damn near the whole operation was broken, with millions upon millions spent on AU's "internal" investigation into athletics. 

Many will blame the media and their hatred for all things AU.   But when you continue to feed a monster like that with your poor decisions and negative actions, what is the media supposed to do?

It's a New Day at Auburn in more ways than one, and I welcome the breath of fresh air, a new set of eyes on the Department, and new blood running through the place.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

The sad thing is that almost all of that would have probably happened under Greene, too. What will hopefully be different is how some of it is handled, especially from a PR standpoint, along with things like not using nefarious means to run off a coach that should have never been hired in the first place (the wrongful termination lawsuit), not handing coaches outrageous buyout clauses at the first sign of a good season, and not facilitating outside interference into how our coaches run their programs.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Possible but hell JJ had so many hired its was hard to keep up with and what the crap they were doing. Sorry 64 going to have to disagree with you on this one. WDE is correct on this one. 

14 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not true. 

Sorry, never was a JJ fan, but several times the $$$ did roll in. Of course, the money would have come in no matter who was sitting in the A.D. office, because we are Auburn!

Sorry again, just not too impressed with Greens first moves. We all know he did inherit a mess!

Archived