Next years pitching rotation

with us losing Casey & Mitchell, I am curious who will be in that starting rotation. Tanner Burns will be the ace no doubt, but after him, how do we look for the starting rotation? Butch will have to do some serious coaching up to the pitching staff after Tanner. Is there any incoming freshmen that could possibly make the starting rotation?  We have to keep Butch no doubt as well as the rest of the staff. 2019 could be a little shaky with the starting rotation until they get their feet underneath them before we enter SEC play.

14 hours ago, djg0017 said:

That was quick..too quick

I am not sure I am following you.

Right now, I’d say the rotation will consist of Burns, a lefty (Owen/Wade/Gray), and either Greenhill or Daniel as the third starter. Obviously, if Daniel leaves, he’s out, but IMO he’s found something with this mechanical adjustment that could make him a strong starter in the SEC. 

DD looked really good with all of his pitches last night, over a pretty long stint and against a good lineup. If he can maintain that level of performance he could be a heckuva second (or 1-B) starter (Burns obviously first or at least 1-A).

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

DD looked really good with all of his pitches last night, over a pretty long stint and against a good lineup. If he can maintain that level of performance he could be a heckuva second (or 1-B) starter (Burns obviously first or at least 1-A).

DD still needs better control. It will cost him wins and longer stints on the mound. If it lower the BB, then he can be a firm starter.

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

DD still needs better control. It will cost him wins and longer stints on the mound. If it lower the BB, then he can be a firm starter.

Agree but he’s looked good even control-wise last few outings. That strike zone was a little inconsistent last night (he rung India up, just got screwed out of it)

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I am not sure I am following you.

Hmm posted this in the game thread last night after our last three outs.. The page reloaded once I posted. Really don’t know how it ended up here though.. Technology I tell ya

DD's  control has improved as the year went on.  just has to avoid that hanging breaking ball.  His fastball is a ++ quality pitch.   If he can go 6 or so innings, that is good these days..

I wish we could have pitched him game 1 and Casey game 3...........maybe then we would not have needed game 3!  DD and Tanner will make a pretty darn good 1 -2 pitching tandem. The 3rd starter I guess will come to fruition with Butch's guidance. This team is a young team overall and should be a 40 plus win team on a consistent basis. I do hope that AD Greene will get with Butch within the next few days and lock him down for the long term. This needs to happen hopefully this week before the CWS starts. Butch will bring Auburn baseball to the upper echelon of the SEC with  LSU, Arkansas, Florida, MSU and OM not for a season but year in and out.

Auburn baseball is a sleeping giant that has been dormant far too long and Butch is rapidly waking up that giant! I can see us packing the park on a regular basis and expanding capacity by a few extra thousand seats. The park looks like it could easily be expanded to the 7000 seat capacity. For years, I lost track of the baseball program until Butch entered the picture.

5 hours ago, boomstick said:

Right now, I’d say the rotation will consist of Burns, a lefty (Owen/Wade/Gray), and either Greenhill or Daniel as the third starter. Obviously, if Daniel leaves, he’s out, but IMO he’s found something with this mechanical adjustment that could make him a strong starter in the SEC. 

I did not know that DD might leave. I hope he stays for all of his college eligibility.

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

When will we know definitively if DD is staying or leaving?

I believe July 6th is the cutoff thatvhe had to make a decision. 

19 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I did not know that DD might leave. I hope he stays for all of his college eligibility.

IMO if he comes back and pitches near how he pitched the last 3-4 outings of the season, next year is all we will get from him, and that’s fine with me. He has the tools to be a top 3-4 round (maybe even better) pick with another good year. Fingers crossed he comes back for one more because we could be a really really good pitching staff with him back for another year. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

IMO if he comes back and pitches near how he pitched the last 3-4 outings of the season, next year is all we will get from him, and that’s fine with me. He has the tools to be a top 3-4 round (maybe even better) pick with another good year. Fingers crossed he comes back for one more because we could be a really really good pitching staff with him back for another year. 

what round did he get drafted? I am not sure how it works with college baseball. I guess a player can go pro regardless of the year they are in college. Do you think the AD will get with Butch this week and get things locked down?

24 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

what round did he get drafted? I am not sure how it works with college baseball. I guess a player can go pro regardless of the year they are in college. Do you think the AD will get with Butch this week and get things locked down?

He was drafted in the 11th round by the Brewers, and the Brewers are supposedly trying to offer a good bit more than the slot value of the pick. 

Davis is a unique situation. He was held back  a year in school when he was really young because of his June birthday. So, he’s a really old Sophomore instead of a really young Junior. In the MLB draft, you have to be 21 years old or 3 years removed Fromm HS to be drafted. So, Daniel is a draft-eligible Sophomore. That actually works in his favor as he can be drafted this year and next year and still keep the leverage on MLB teams because he’d still have college eligibility left. 

I think a deal with Butch gets done by next week. Sounds like it’s just a matter of Butch naming his terms and Leath and Greene signing off. 

I think DD could do well with another year under Butch.  Knowing he can be part of the weekend rotation, especially after he ended his season against the #1 Gators in game 3 of the supers and he threw a gem, combined with a good off season, who knows.

25 minutes ago, boomstick said:

He was drafted in the 11th round by the Brewers, and the Brewers are supposedly trying to offer a good bit more than the slot value of the pick. 

Davis is a unique situation. He was held back  a year in school when he was really young because of his June birthday. So, he’s a really old Sophomore instead of a really young Junior. In the MLB draft, you have to be 21 years old or 3 years removed Fromm HS to be drafted. So, Daniel is a draft-eligible Sophomore. That actually works in his favor as he can be drafted this year and next year and still keep the leverage on MLB teams because he’d still have college eligibility left. 

I think a deal with Butch gets done by next week. Sounds like it’s just a matter of Butch naming his terms and Leath and Greene signing off. 

I don't have connections with the baseball as I do with football but I have heard good things so far.

I have heard that Ms. St has told Henderson he will not be the coach but he will be taken care of with the new guy coming in. Henderson makes about $500,000 a year I believe but he will get a big increase to stay on as pitching coach with the new guy. Have no idea if that's what happening but it still makes me worry about our guy.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

DD's  control has improved as the year went on.  just has to avoid that hanging breaking ball.  His fastball is a ++ quality pitch.   If he can go 6 or so innings, that is good these days..

His change up was filthy last night. Throw it for strikes with a 94 mph four-seamer.... nasty.....

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I don't have connections with the baseball as I do with football but I have heard good things so far.

I have heard that Ms. St has told Henderson he will not be the coach but he will be taken care of with the new guy coming in. Henderson makes about $500,000 a year I believe but he will get a big increase to stay on as pitching coach with the new guy. Have no idea if that's what happening but it still makes me worry about our guy.

That sure doesn’t sound too promising. Who would Miss St. have been talking too long enough to make that call other than Butch??  We got to lock Butch down. Great coach and great recruiter. HS and private coaches love him. 

10 hours ago, jw 4 au said:

That sure doesn’t sound too promising. Who would Miss St. have been talking too long enough to make that call other than Butch??  We got to lock Butch down. Great coach and great recruiter. HS and private coaches love him. 

Earlier in the year when the MSU job came open, I was over 50% sure Butch would bolt, especially growing up a stone's throw from Starkville.  Florida's run notwithstanding, MSU is the capstone of SEC baseball and one of the crown jewels in NCAA baseball, so I figure it would be the ultimate "dream job" for CBT.  However, after hearing comments about how he likes this core of freshman and looks forward to coaching them the next few years, I believe he's an Auburn Tiger until he wants to retire in 25 years and get the park named after him.  He doesn't strike me as one for much "coach-speak" so I think he is truly fond of Auburn and plans to be here.

I am envious of those schools who keep their coaches a couple decades...with little or no drama.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I am envious of those schools who keep their coaches a couple decades...with little or no drama.

Hopefully we are setting ourselves up to be like that in a few sports. I think we are on the threshold of becoming a juggernaut across the board.

Archived