The Singapore Summit

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I don't mind the meeting at all and certainly want diplomacy first.  I do mind Trump supporters acting like it was some grand accomplishment by Trump to make it happen.  It wasn't.  It's something NK has been wishing for and striving to get for decades now.  In their mind, it legitimizes their regime and puts them on an even playing field from a PR standpoint.

Completely agree, we gave away a lot for nothing more than promises that have been inked before and disregarded by NK. I just find it ironic that all the people that are saying that this is peace prize worthy were the same people that said we shouldn't be talking to the Castros in Cuba or that we shouldn't have done a deal with Iran.

1 hour ago, channonc said:

Completely agree, we gave away a lot for nothing more than promises that have been inked before and disregarded by NK. I just find it ironic that all the people that are saying that this is peace prize worthy were the same people that said we shouldn't be talking to the Castros in Cuba or that we shouldn't have done a deal with Iran.

I respect your opinion but strongly disagree. Just getting this summit was something W. Bush, Clinton, and Obama coudn't do. In the eyes of many it was a historic first step toward possible NK denuclearization. I can't understand why Dems can't at least acknowledge that much, especially coming from a man they said shouldn't even be given the keys to our nuclear weapons.

What did we give away?

There is much gnashing among the hate Trump media. media. They know the summit was a big win for Trump and can't do anything to diminish. Even some key Dems have said it is a good start. And Pompeo is in Beijing today meeting with China Pres. Xi. Seems like a great next step in the process. I hope Pompeo doesn't screw up like Hillary did with her infamous red button.

Two Norwegian lawmakers have nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. I would love to seee Trump in Oslo eating some herring and admiring that big Viking statue.

By the way, glad to see you posting. elle thinks she is the only "girl" (her word) in here. That may be because I think you are a lady in the truest sense.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

I respect your opinion but strongly disagree. Just getting this summit was something W. Bush, Clinton, and Obama coudn't do. In the eyes of many it was a historic first step toward possible NK denuclearization. I can't understand why Dems can't at least acknowledge that much, especially coming from a man they said shouldn't even be given the keys to our nuclear weapons.

What did we give away?

There is much gnashing among the hate Trump media. media. They know the summit was a big win for Trump and can't do anything to diminish. Even some key Dems have said it is a good start. And Pompeo is in Beijing today meeting with China Pres. Xi. Seems like a great next step in the process. I hope Pompeo doesn't screw up like Hillary did with her infamous red button.

Two Norwegian lawmakers have nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. I would love to seee Trump in Oslo eating some herring and admiring that big Viking statue.

By the way, glad to see you posting. elle thinks she is the only "girl" (her word) in here. That may be because I think you are a lady in the truest sense.

I'm not sure it's something they "couldn't do". I think NK has always wanted a meeting with a U.S. President because is legitimizes them on the world stage. But either way, I think it's unwise to announce that we will stop doing military exercises with South Korea before getting major concessions from them first, including nuclear inspectors.

China has been pushing for us to stop military exercises if NK stopped missile testing. If President Trump is correct, and we in fact stop exercises with South Korea, China will have gotten what they wanted all along with nothing else in return from NK.

But, I will give Trump credit. I think talks are better than no talks. I just wish he would have not promised so much for so little. But like I said in my first post. I really do hope it all works out in the end.

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Totally false.  Just as I informed you earlier, it was NK who have so desperately wanted a summit meeting.  Trump just handed it to them without pre-conditions.

As far as the "many" who believe this was a "historic first step" toward possible denuclearization, no one who know's anything about the history of NK would believe that.   That's absurd.

"Hope" maybe - the same way one might "hope" for world peace.  But certainly not "believe".   

Of course, Trump is more than happy to position it as a huge accomplishment.  All he cares about is the immediate publicity.  That's exactly why he was so eager to hold the summit without conditions and so quick to offer concessions.  He values the publicity more than the substance.

I respect your opinion but strongly disagree. Just getting this summit was something W. Bush, Clinton, and Obama coudn't do.

Nonsense.  North Korea would have jumped at the chance to have met with any US president over the last 50+ years.  If any one of those presidents felt it was the right move, they could have booked it in a New York minute.  It has never been a matter of being able to and wasn't any great effort by Trump to make it happen.

In the eyes of many it was a historic first step toward possible NK denuclearization. I can't understand why Dems can't at least acknowledge that much, especially coming from a man they said shouldn't even be given the keys to our nuclear weapons.

Probably because they've seen NK do this sort of thing before.  History tells us NK makes promises in exchange for assistance, or relief from sanctions, or whatever and then at some point they renege and take another big step toward what we've tried to prevent.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Nonsense.  North Korea would have jumped at the chance to have met with any US president over the last 50+ years.  If any one of those presidents felt it was the right move, they could have booked it in a New York minute.  It has never been a matter of being able to and wasn't any great effort by Trump to make it happen.-as stoic says this is unproveable speculation.

Probably because they've seen NK do this sort of thing before.  History tells us NK makes promises in exchange for assistance, or relief from sanctions, or whatever and then at some point they renege and take another big step toward what we've tried to prevent.--This is a different POTUS. I think he will not agree to anything that doesn't allow effective inspection of NK facilities which has beeen the problem in the past and the reason for previous failures, just like the Iran treaty.

Nonsense.  North Korea would have jumped at the chance to have met with any US president over the last 50+ years.  If any one of those presidents felt it was the right move, they could have booked it in a New York minute.  It has neverbeen a matter of being able to and wasn't any great effort by Trump to make it happen.-as stoic says this is unproveable speculation.

And as anyone who has observed NK for the last few decades will tell you, they've wanted this forever.  In their minds, it puts them on a level playing field from a PR stance with the US.  You're deluding yourself if you believe otherwise.

Probably because they've seen NK do this sort of thing before.  History tells us NK makes promises in exchange for assistance, or relief from sanctions, or whatever and then at some point they renege and take another big step toward what we've tried to prevent.--This is a different POTUS. I think he will not agree to anything that doesn't allow effective inspection of NK facilities which has beeen the problem in the past and the reason for previous failures, just like the Iran treaty.

Uh huh.  We can certainly hope for something better, but don't go placing any bets that it will end substantially different from every other negotiation with them.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I heard they were going to rename it the Donald J. Trump Nuclear Research Center, to ensure Trump won't object.    ;D

Archived