AU adds JuCo PG J’Von McCormick

CAS15

• The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Katy, Texas, native spent the last two years playing for Lee College in Baytown, Texas.
  • McCormick started 19 games as a sophomore last season.
  • He averaged 18.5 Points, 5.3 Rebounds, 6.4 Assists while shooting a FG% of 42.8 and 36.4% from behind the arc.
  • He'll have two years of eligibility remaining and fill the void let by the departure of Davion Mitchell.
  • The Tigers now have 11 of 13 scholarships filled going into the 2018-19 season. 

Missed your thread. Deleted mine. War Damn Eagle. Big get! 

22 minutes ago

Auburn grabs commitment from junior college point guard

ByBrandon Marcello

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn has shored up a hole in the backcourt by picking up a hot-shooting junior college guard.

J’Von McCormick committed Tuesday to Auburn and is expected to be immediately eligible for the Tigers starting this fall. He fills a hole left by the transfers of DeSean Murray and Davion Mitchell, along with former 5-star prospect Mustapha Heron.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound guard out of Lee College in Baytown, Texas made the announcement on Instagram. 

“Want to thank all the schools that recruited me, Specially Coach Pearl and Flannigan (sic) for giving me the opportunity to be apart of a family and great team while making history!! #wareagle,” McCormick wrote.

He is expected to play point guard, but could also play off the ball behind Bryce Brown at shooting guard. Jared Harper is expected to remain Auburn's starter.

Wes Flanigan, the former Auburn guard, joined Auburn’s staff as an assistant in the offseason.

McCormick averaged 18.5 points, 6.4 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game, according to the NJCAA. The Katy, Texas native hit 42.8 percent of his shots, including 36.4 percent of the 3-pointers he attempted.

McCormick has two years of eligibility remaining to play at Auburn.

I mean was there any doubt Pearl would find a solid option to run PG behind Harper? Welcome to the team Jvon!

7 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I mean was there any doubt Pearl would find a solid option to run PG behind Harper? Welcome to the team Jvon!

This gives us a super comfortable 10 man rotation now. Good things on the horizon. 

11 minutes ago

Averaged 18.5 points and 6.4 assists last season for Lee College. Did a great job getting to the FT line while also shooting 36.4% from beyond the arc. Should give Auburn another dynamic threat in the backcourt.

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

This gives us a super comfortable 10 man rotation now. Good things on the horizon. 

I still want a 5th Big if we can find one. 4 is not enough in the SEC.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I still want a 5th Big if we can find one. 4 is not enough in the SEC.

I'm pretty comfortable. Certainly better off than we were last year. Rotation looks like:

1.Harper/McCormick/Brown or Doughty

2.Brown/Doughty/McCormick/Purifoy

3.Purifoy/Dunbar/Doughty

4.Okeke/Spencer/McLemore/Purifoy

5.Wiley/McLemore/Spencer/Okeke

38 minutes ago, AUDub said:

4.Okeke/Spencer/McLemore/Purifoy

5.Wiley/McLemore/Spencer/Okeke

Purifoy is not playing any 4 this year barring foul trouble or injury. Precisely why I want a 5th Big. I love DP but he was bad overall as a 4 last year & Bruce doesn't want to play him there at all this season..

Also Spencer won't play much if any 5. He was much more comfortable as a 4. I don't see any Big pairing in there where he's the 5 except the other 3 are in foul trouble or injured & we have to play Danjel at the 4.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Purifoy is not playing any 4 this year barring foul trouble or injury. Precisely why I want a 5th Big. I love DP but he was bad overall as a 4 last year & Bruce doesn't want to play him there at all this season..

Also Spencer won't play much if any 5. He was much more comfortable as a 4. I don't see any Big pairing in there where he's the 5 except the other 3 are in foul trouble or injured & we have to play Danjel at the 4.

That's why they're 3rd/4th in the rotation there. Not natural, so any minutes they see there will either be situational or due to injury, like Chuma pressed into playing at 5 to close the season.

I understand your consternation, but I believe that 2 deep and rotation is way better than most teams could reasonably expect. I think the coaching staff is comfortable with it too, as I've heard that the plan was to RS Akingbola if he reclassified, using him as an emergency option only if absolutely necessary. Of course, injury is always an issue, but few teams in division I can expect to be better off than we should be. 

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

That's why they're 3rd/4th in the rotation there. Not natural, so any minutes they see there will either be situational or due to injury, like Chuma pressed into playing at 5 to close the season.

The order is still off a bit. Chuma would go to the 5 before Spencer.

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

I believe that 2 deep and rotation is way better than most teams could reasonably expect.

As long as Wiley is not in foul trouble or injured. If he is then we still have the same under sized problem we had against bigger teams last year. Unless we get another Big losing Desean is going to hurt us more than people may think at times.

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

I think the coaching staff is comfortable with it too, as I've heard that the plan was to RS Akingbola if he reclassified

RSing Stretch has nothing to do with the staff's comfort level with the Bigs. They would RS him because they don't feel he is ready to play as a Frosh since he has not played basketball long. He is very, very raw.

I feel pretty confident that we'll see Spencer a good bit at the 5 spot this year. It may or may not be his natural position but Pearl loves to have a 4 that can make outside shots and that is not in Spencer's game. His game is to hang around the basket to clean up the glass and streak to the basket on drives for a dish. He actually fits the 5 really well for the offense we run which is predicated on a lot of movement and running the floor and not so much half court stuff like posting under the basket. 

This is a very exciting 2 deep that we have and with the addition of J'von we can run out 2 legit 5 man rotations or we can mix and match as we go. Few teams can run out 3 guys like McLemore, Okeke, and Purifoy. Those are 3 big guys that bring different skills and strengths to the table and will allow us to be extremely versatile in what we want to do. You guys haven't see full court pressure like we'll see this year if everyone makes it to the season.

I don't think this will be the starting lineup but i could see us using something like this as our "death squad" put this group in during the second half and just run the other team off the floor:

Harper, Brown, Purifoy, Okeke, McLemore

That is a lineup where all 5 can score from deep. All 5 can handle the ball. All 5 can take it to the basket. We also don't give up much on the defensive side cause we have both Okeke and McLmore to protect the rim, Harper and Brown to harass the ball handler and Purifoy to provide defensive length on the perimeter.  

Going to be a long wait for the season to get here!

Former Mayde Creek basketball standout J'Von McCormick signs with Auburn

Matt Reese

Sometimes, you have to take the tough path to reach your goals.

When J'Von McCormick was at Mayde Creek High School, he terrorized opposing defenses. However, because of his size, the 2016 19-6A Offensive MVP was overlooked by many DI programs.

Not anymore.

After two years at Lee College, McCormick announced (via Instagram) that he has committed to play with Bruce Pearl at Auburn University this upcoming season.

"Coach Pearl has an unbelievable relationship with his players and the coaching staff," McCormick said on his decision to play at Auburn. "It felt like family when I got off the plane for my visit. Being given the opportunity to be a part of making history while pursuing a degree in business is amazing."

At Lee, McCormick was able to start over 25 games in his career. Last year, he averaged 18.5 points, 6.4 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game. His time at a Junior College taught him many things, but none more important than work ethic.

"I plan to work my hardest and be prepared at all times so I can always put my best foot forward," he said. "I also learned to manage and maximize my time to get the most out of each and every day."

McCormick joins an Auburn team that made the 2018 NCAA Tournament as a 4-seed last season. The Tigers won the regular season SEC title, but were bounced in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament by Clemson.

"To play at the highest level has always been a dream of mine," McCormick said. "It's what motivated me to keep pushing through adversity. I knew some day I'd have my chance and I made it my goal to be ready whenever that chance came."

So, what does McCormick bring to the table?

"Speed, athleticism, the ability to lead and to make my teammates better," he said. "I want to play a big role on the defensive side of the ball while being able to score in the manner that my team needs."

Like his comments......

Anyone know what schools were interested in him out of HS? I couldn't find a recruiting profile on him.

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Anyone know what schools were interested in him out of HS? I couldn't find a recruiting profile on him.

Not many at the D1 level as implied in the article above.

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Have a hard time believing his size was the reason he did not get D1 attention.

Grades maybe?

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Have a hard time believing his size was the reason he did not get D1 attention.

Agreed. Just found a Max Preps profile of him in HS at 6 foot.

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Grades maybe?

I'm not concerned as long as he has things in order & the coaches are god with him.

To say this kid is quick is an understatement. I love the way he keeps his dribble and lulls the defender then goes by to score or to pass to a teammate. This kid gives us the PG depth we were looking for. Super fast hands on defense also. War Eagle and welcome aboard.

Archived