2020 5* PG Sharife Cooper Commits to AU! (9/27)

ellitor

16 offers including AU, Bama, Cincy, Clemson, UConn, Gators, FSU, NC St., Vols & Aggies among others
3 247 basketball national recruiting analysts crystal balled Cooper to AU within the past 2 weeks.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 247 National Analyst Evan Daniels

If this recruitment ended today, my guess would be he ended up at Auburn. Sounds like there could be a bit to go, but he had a really strong weekend at one of the best underclassmen camps in the country.

Nike Elite 100: Sharife Cooper has big showing at camp

By Evan Daniels

Historically the Nike Elite 100 event, annually held at St. Louis’ Simon Recreational Center, is a great an opportunity for sophomore and junior prospects to raise their national profile.

One of the point guards in attendance that took advantage of that was Marietta (Ga.) McEachern standout Sharife Cooper.

“It was a great experience, playing with different people, especially Josh Christopher and Paolo [Banchero] and Micah [Peavy] and other people on my team,” Cooper said. “It was a great experience.”

“I felt like I played well,” he added. “There’s always room for improvement, but I feel like I did all right.”

Cooper did better than “all right.” The 6-foot guard had some dynamic moments during camp, and you could make a case he was the most productive and effective guard at the event.

Cooper is tough to defend for a variety of reasons, but it starts with his quickness, ball handling and ability to get paint touches. Cooper is always under control, changes speeds and plays at an impressive pace. He has a tricky handle, is crafty off the bounce.

Once in the paint, Cooper is especially effective, as he can score with mid-range pull-ups, floaters or nifty finishes at the rim. The paint touches and threat to score also allows for passing lanes to find open teammates.

“I’m just getting my teammates involved, getting in the paint, creating for others, as well as creating for myself and just winning basically,” Cooper said when asked to describe his game. “That’s what I love to do and competing at a high-level.”

When taking good shots, Cooper is an efficient long-range shooter, and that type of shot making opens up the floor for him, making him an even more lethal off the dribble.

“Most definitely, because then they have to come out and guard the jump shot,” he added. “I don’t feel like they can stay in front of me, then I can go past them. If I’m making jump shots it opens up everything.”

On Friday, college coaches can begin call 2020 prospects, and Cooper’s phone is sure to be busy.

“It’s starting to pick up a lot,” he said of his recruitment. “I’m wide open right now. I’m not really thinking about many schools specifically. I’m probably going to visit a couple.”

According to Cooper’s father, Omar, 22 high major schools have offered a scholarship. The list of offers are Auburn, Rutgers, FSU, NC State, Texas A&M, Florida, MSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Oklahoma State, USF, Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, UConn, Arizona State and USC.

1COMMENTS

“Sharife plans on taking unofficial visits to at least 10 schools on this list before the high school season starts,” the elder Cooper said.

Cooper currently ranks as the No. 4 point guard and the No. 34 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite.

• 3 weeks later...

This kid is crazy wicked good. You hate to say this, but he reminds me of GS guard Curry. That puts a lot of pressure on the kid but this kid is potentially a program maker. Please, please come to AU!

• 2 weeks later...
  • ellitor changed the title to 2020 5* PG Sharife Cooper
On 6/28/2018 at 9:22 AM, JFDTiger80 said:

This kid is crazy wicked good. You hate to say this, but he reminds me of GS guard Curry. 

?‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Next in line perhaps?

No. And we will eventually have to fight of the blue bloods for him. Jaylin Williams most likely is next in line. We have a thread on him too.

I like our chances against the blue bloods here. Multiple team mates going to AU you'd think would give us a big advantage. 

54 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Multiple team mates going to AU you'd think would give us a big advantage. 

Usually doesn't in basketball just as in football. What wins recruiting battles is relationships with coaches, and in basketball sometimes people close to the recruit who is with an apparel company.

Sharife is one smooth player. He has the potential of being a major game changer for whatever team that gets him. I know things look good for him now, but as I think E said, watch out for the Blue-blood basketball schools coming hard after him. It is hard to turn away from schools like Carolina, Duke, and UK if your goal is to play in the NBA. 

5 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Sharife is one smooth player. He has the potential of being a major game changer for whatever team that gets him. I know things look good for him now, but as I think E said, watch out for the Blue-blood basketball schools coming hard after him. It is hard to turn away from schools like Carolina, Duke, and UK if your goal is to play in the NBA. 

If we can make a deep run in the tournament next season, it will start to get much easier.  We all know how great Auburn is as far as a whole. Now with Bruce at the helm, we could become a basketball destination school as well. There is no reason,  with all of the TV exposure the SEC gets, not to mention the addition of great coaches and the league schools commitment to becoming a strong basketball conference, that a prospect would have any drastic reason to play at one of those schools over Auburn.  The future of all Auburn sports is so exciting.

13 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

If we can make a deep run in the tournament next season, it will start to get much easier.  We all know how great Auburn is as far as a whole. Now with Bruce at the helm, we could become a basketball destination school as well. There is no reason,  with all of the TV exposure the SEC gets, not to mention the addition of great coaches and the league schools commitment to becoming a strong basketball conference, that a prospect would have any drastic reason to play at one of those schools over Auburn. For the elites in each class..  The future of all Auburn sports is so exciting.

Yes they would. Schools like Kentucky are putting multiple players in the NBA every year & a of of their guys are producing in the NBA. Until we get to that point the blue bloods Will have a real advantage For the elites in each class.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes they would. Schools like Kentucky are putting multiple players in the NBA every year. Until we get to that point the blue  Will have a real advantage For the elites in each class.

I agree with the bulk of your sentiment, but in the case of Sharife in particular, I think we might be in a better case to compete with the blue bloods because we have the ability to offer him a more reliable opportunity to start for multiple years at PG. While there is little doubt that he is a stud college prospect, at 6’-0” (or likely a little less than that) he isn’t a stud NBA prospect. He may have the chops to get to the NBA, but he doesn’t strike me as a one-and-done. If he can be convinced of that, then I think it will matter less that we aren’t having 3-4 freshman drafted every year, provided that we start getting some juniors and seniors drafted. The one thing Auburn could offer that a Kentucky wouldn’t is that we wouldn’t be realistically looking to his potential 5* PG replacement in the next signing class.

6 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

If he can be convinced of that,

I don't think that would be the pitch CBP would use. Probably more like we will develop you to the fullest we can as long as you are here. I doubt any elite rated kid want to hear they need a few years development before going to the NBA.

Agree with most of the rest of the post.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't think that would be the pitch CBP would use. Probably more like we will develop you to the fullest we can as long as you are here. I doubt any elite rated kid want to hear they need a few years development before going to the NBA.

Agree with most of the rest of the post.

For sure. I didn’t mean to imply that that’s necessarilly the way we should pitch him. My hope would be that that’s something he’d kinda realize on his own. I’m sure our pitch would look something like what you described. My greater point was if there is a type of elite prospect we’ve got a chance of going toe-to-toe with the big guys for, Sharife seems to fit it. Hopefully we can land him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On campus again this weekend. The kid might as well just get an apartment in au already becasue of how much he visits. Plus he keeps bringing his 5 star teamate and friend BJ Boston with him as well. Gonna be super dissapointed if we don't land this kid

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

On campus again this weekend. The kid might as well just get an apartment in au already becasue of how much he visits. Plus he keeps bringing his 5 star teamate and friend BJ Boston with him as well. Gonna be super dissapointed if we don't land this kid

Kentucky’s recently got a CB since they offered. :(

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Kentucky’s recently got a CB since they offered. :(

assuming he stays in the 2020 class, then I still like our chances with him. It all sets up pretty perfectly for him. Both Harper and Mccormick would be graduating. He could step right in and start with 2 of his best buds in Okoro and Akingbola. Plus, the kid has said how much he values that AU was like the first school to offer him. Not worth sweating over now but the kid is on campus all the damn time so it looks good for AU

6 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

so the young man is on an official visit. Nice

AUsome! Now he can see just how much basketball means to Auburn. 

Archived