Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

2020 4* PG Sharife Cooper

16 offers including AU, Bama, Cincy, Clemson, UConn, Gators, FSU, NC St., Vols & Aggies among others
3 247 basketball national recruiting analysts crystal balled Cooper to AU within the past 2 weeks.

From 247 National Analyst Evan Daniels

If this recruitment ended today, my guess would be he ended up at Auburn. Sounds like there could be a bit to go, but he had a really strong weekend at one of the best underclassmen camps in the country.

Nike Elite 100: Sharife Cooper has big showing at camp

By Evan Daniels

Historically the Nike Elite 100 event, annually held at St. Louis’ Simon Recreational Center, is a great an opportunity for sophomore and junior prospects to raise their national profile.

One of the point guards in attendance that took advantage of that was Marietta (Ga.) McEachern standout Sharife Cooper.

“It was a great experience, playing with different people, especially Josh Christopher and Paolo [Banchero] and Micah [Peavy] and other people on my team,” Cooper said. “It was a great experience.”

“I felt like I played well,” he added. “There’s always room for improvement, but I feel like I did all right.”

Cooper did better than “all right.” The 6-foot guard had some dynamic moments during camp, and you could make a case he was the most productive and effective guard at the event.

Cooper is tough to defend for a variety of reasons, but it starts with his quickness, ball handling and ability to get paint touches. Cooper is always under control, changes speeds and plays at an impressive pace. He has a tricky handle, is crafty off the bounce.

Once in the paint, Cooper is especially effective, as he can score with mid-range pull-ups, floaters or nifty finishes at the rim. The paint touches and threat to score also allows for passing lanes to find open teammates.

“I’m just getting my teammates involved, getting in the paint, creating for others, as well as creating for myself and just winning basically,” Cooper said when asked to describe his game. “That’s what I love to do and competing at a high-level.”

When taking good shots, Cooper is an efficient long-range shooter, and that type of shot making opens up the floor for him, making him an even more lethal off the dribble.

“Most definitely, because then they have to come out and guard the jump shot,” he added. “I don’t feel like they can stay in front of me, then I can go past them. If I’m making jump shots it opens up everything.”

On Friday, college coaches can begin call 2020 prospects, and Cooper’s phone is sure to be busy.

“It’s starting to pick up a lot,” he said of his recruitment. “I’m wide open right now. I’m not really thinking about many schools specifically. I’m probably going to visit a couple.”

According to Cooper’s father, Omar, 22 high major schools have offered a scholarship. The list of offers are Auburn, Rutgers, FSU, NC State, Texas A&M, Florida, MSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Oklahoma State, USF, Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, UConn, Arizona State and USC.

1COMMENTS

“Sharife plans on taking unofficial visits to at least 10 schools on this list before the high school season starts,” the elder Cooper said.

Cooper currently ranks as the No. 4 point guard and the No. 34 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1