2020 5* PG Sharife Cooper Commits to AU! (9/27)

ellitor

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I’m blaming Gus for spoiling this young man’s visit

Hopefully Bruce can over come it. If anyone can, it’s him.

Young man had a fine visit and even brought his family. No mention of Gus ruining his visit. So that's nice. Still think he's heavily favored to sign with Au. Might have to wait awhile though to secure his committment. 

• 2 months later...

I’m not sure how I feel about a one and done player.  Seems like renting a mercenary.  I’ve been critical of programs with the 1&D players like Duke and UK.  If I got stoked about one might make me more hypocritical.  I want a stud who is gonna stick around at least a couple of years.  Let’s at least pretend for more than one semester that they are students too.

The way the nba is about to be set up good luck with that....if you're a stud you're going to go to the nba, the players in college will be players that need to work on things and develop, which is fine but they won't be cream of the crop

I am glad to hear that.

This 1&D stuff has cheapened the game.

Be interesting to see what happens at UK.  Calipari might have to coach some kids up again.

IMO it won't only affect UK/Duke/Kansas etc. Those elite prospects they get will skip college altogether and the next tier of players -- the players we are currently pulling from -- will be harder to land because now the true national powers will be looking at those guys. Luckily for us Bruce finds and IDs talent earlier than a lot of coaches, particularly talent that fits in his system, extremely well.

Pretty much, I think if baseball is ok then basketball will be. You have less of a talent pool but the college game is going to restrict a bunch of good players anyway, but you shouldn't be able to impede a person's ability to acquire wealth, especially when NCAA just wanta to make money off the players but don't want players receiving it, they want it for themselves. 

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

NCAA just wanta to make money off the players

Common complaint but do you know where the money actually goes since NCAA is just a bunch of colleges , all of which are non-profit institutions and so legally there is no profit to the NCAA.  

Granted it's a big government style bureaucracy which probably wastes a lot of money but most of it goes back to the member institutions and students at those institutions.  JMO but without the power of the organizations, only a handful of schools would be able to negotiate seriously profitable arrangements with ESPN, CBS, ABC and the like and there would not be near as much money.   Basically  the NCAA is a sport monopoly.    

https://moneynation.com/how-much-money-does-the-ncaa-make/

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

The way the nba is about to be set up good luck with that....if you're a stud you're going to go to the nba, the players in college will be players that need to work on things and develop, which is fine but they won't be cream of the crop

While I agree the one and done is a waste of time in most cases, it worries me for those that go immediately into the NBA and fizzle our in the first year.  Then their free college ride is gone. 

37 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

While I agree the one and done is a waste of time in most cases, it worries me for those that go immediately into the NBA and fizzle our in the first year.  Then their free college ride is gone. 

Even those guys make more money that first contract that some people will see. Schools could really justify giving players scholarships anyway. Certain players generated more than enough to your school that you could say yeah long as you keep your grades up your school is free

On 12/30/2018 at 9:50 AM, AUGoo said:

Is he a one and done type guy?

If so, I'd like to see him pass on Auburn.  I hate one-and-dones.  They eventually become "me" players (if they were ever anything else), like Ben Simmons did at LSU.  I think all his LSU teammates were very glad to see him go.

14 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

If so, I'd like to see him pass on Auburn.  I hate one-and-dones.  They eventually become "me" players

couldn't agree more.....the "me" players are becoming much too common....basketball is a team sport and beautiful to watch when its played like that

So if a player is ranked high he is a me player? That doesn't make sense to me. Everybody should think about their own well being, and just because they are more physically gifted doesn't make them bad people. They have to deal with everybody on Earth trying to exploit them and trick them but somehow they get looked upon as the bad guy. When they are done at the school nobody will care about them, if they suck nobody will care. Everything is so conditional but for some reason they are expected to have some unbelievable loyalty to people that could care less about them. 

What did Ben Simmons do wrong? And if they like winning they weren't happy to see him go. You don't get more team oriented style of play than him. It's interesting you said him as an example. Some of the greatest basketball players either skipped college entirely or were one and done.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I imagine they could go back to college on a football scholarship, much as professional baseball players are allowed to go back to college on scholarship. Most of them would be athletic enough to play somewhere on the team.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys burying one and dones might as well end your posts with "I dont want Auburn to ever truly be national championship level in bball"

There has been only one team out of HUNDREDS that's been consistently title contending level since the one and done era and that is Villanova. Auburn does not have the same level of prestige as Villanova nor Jay Wright. To seriously sit here and spit in the face of getting a program changing prospect because he's good enough to be one and done is... CMON NOW. Imagine doubting Bruce Pearl and his perspective on the necessity of a recruit because you (unfoundedly) believe he'll ruin the program. 

Your ideal program in that tier below "you offer and they commit same day" programs (basically Duke and, to a lower extent, Kentucky), will field a squad of good prospects that have developed for seasons meshing around one and dones. UNC, Gonzaga and Nova off of the top of my head

Bruce is always gonna have a stable and talented roster of 3 or 4 year players at AU. People yammering about one and dones in here need to get a grip. We're never gonna be a one and done recycling factory like UK or duke where there's basically a new set of fresh faces in the starting five every year. The goal is to get maybe one of those guys a year or something and let their elite talent accentuate an already talented roster and hopefully be a difference maker and elevate the team.

I also love the hypocrisy of people dumping on one and dones when they'd happily take a bullet for Cam Newton, the most beloved one and done in AU history.

I loved the Alley oop but what I liked even more was the Afro haircut  that both were sporting. kind of reminded me of when I was in college.

Archived