2020 5* PG Sharife Cooper Commits to AU! (9/27)

ellitor

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The key point is the date. May 29th is the date players must pull out of draft, if they wish to continue their college eligibility.

You’re correct, but the question i answered was the amount of times that an athlete can declare for the draft and return to school.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I wish this guy would commit to us soon. I know it's his recruitment, and he should have fun with it but selfishly, I want him signed, sealed, delivered. 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:38 AM, gravejd said:

That people were talking about him re-classifying only because Harper went pro. That he had no plans to re-classify

Again, didn't he participate in the senior day festivities at his high school already? That would indicate he has plans to reclassify, but he just doesn't want everybody to know about it until it actually happens (if it does happen, of course).

On 4/30/2019 at 4:25 PM, steeleagle said:

The key point is the date. May 29th is the date players must pull out of draft, if they wish to continue their college eligibility.

I don't believe that is the case any longer.

College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Again, didn't he participate in the senior day festivities at his high school already? That would indicate he has plans to reclassify, but he just doesn't want everybody to know about it until it actually happens (if it does happen, of course).

Yeah I remember hearing that on here. And I have no idea what his plans are. I was just relaying what he said in the article

I genuinely believe that he’s just waiting on the official word on if Jared returns or not. He’s coming to AU regardless. Whether it’s this year or next year just depends on Harper’s final decision 

On 5/4/2019 at 9:03 AM, Gene Loblaw said:

I genuinely believe that he’s just waiting on the official word on if Jared returns or not. He’s coming to AU regardless. Whether it’s this year or next year just depends on Harper’s final decision 

What do you think Harper will do? Virtually nobody is projecting him to be drafted, but what would you say are the chances of him simply signing with a team rather than coming back for his senior year? I would think that at this point, the only way he comes back is if no NBA team will sign him, because I doubt how well he will be able to improve his stock with another season in college. However, I have no read whatsoever on the pulse of NBA front offices, whether he stands a reasonable chance of signing when/if he goes undrafted or not.

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather he not come back. That is in no way a reflection upon my feelings for Jared, because I love watching him (and will welcome him back with open arms should he opt to return), but rather hope that he'll get his shot in the League and an inclination that it's time to turn the page to Cooper at point.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, Rednilla said:

What do you think Harper will do? Virtually nobody is projecting him to be drafted, but what would you say are the chances of him simply signing with a team rather than coming back for his senior year? I would think that at this point, the only way he comes back is if no NBA team will sign him, because I doubt how well he will be able to improve his stock with another season in college. However, I have no read whatsoever on the pulse of NBA front offices, whether he stands a reasonable chance of signing when/if he goes undrafted or not.

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather he not come back. That is in no way a reflection upon my feelings for Jared, because I love watching him (and will welcome him back with open arms should he opt to return), but rather hope that he'll get his shot in the League and an inclination that it's time to turn the page to Cooper at point.

I suspect he plays professionally somewhere next year.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:52 AM, Rednilla said:

I don't believe that is the case any longer.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

That is purely conditional on whether Harper is asked to participate in the NBA combine. Those that aren’t invited have to pull out before the draft. 

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That is purely conditional on whether Harper is asked to participate in the NBA combine. Those that aren’t invited have to pull out before the draft. 

Harper and Brown were invited to the new G League Elite Camp which is held just prior to the NBA combine. 

This tells me that Harper is not coming back, and in one of the last reports...Harper and his people around him have said he has no intentions of returning to Auburn. 

They wouldn't put that out there, I feel, if he was leaving a return as an option.

All the talk about Harper - no way his stock can rise any more IMO.    Look at the progress and maturity/ decision making he displayed the last 3 months of the season.  For him it is time to leverage that into which ever league he can and make some coin.  For him and  Auburn of course, I hope it is the NBA and he does great things.   With a Coach like Pearl,  he will bring Harper back and that will help build the culture and program that Pearl has designed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the day that there will be absolute clarity on whether Harper is staying in the draft or not. We all assume he is but Tomorrow is the deadline. I expect we’ll start hearing more rumbling of Cooper reclassifying to start picking up again once Jared officially turns pro

14 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Tomorrow is the day that there will be absolute clarity on whether Harper is staying in the draft or not. We all assume he is but Tomorrow is the deadline. I expect we’ll start hearing more rumbling of Cooper reclassifying to start picking up again once Jared officially turns pro

Pearl confirmed last night (which was pointless) that Harper and Okeke are staying in the draft. Shariffe reclassifying is a pipe dream at best. 

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Pearl confirmed last night (which was pointless) that Harper and Okeke are staying in the draft. Shariffe reclassifying is a pipe dream at best. 

Don’t think it’s a pipe dream at all. There’s been wayyyyyy too much smoke about it for a long time for it to just disappear completely. You’re free to your opinion though

36 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Don’t think it’s a pipe dream at all. There’s been wayyyyyy too much smoke about it for a long time for it to just disappear completely. You’re free to your opinion though

We can hope I suppose. 

The answer, Cooper told reporters at a Nike Elite Youth Basketball League event in Atlanta this past Saturday, is no. “I haven’t really thought about reclassifying,” he said, according to The Athletic. “They’re just saying that because Jared left, I guess. But I’m not looking to reclassify.”

Theres a reason that smoke ebbed out soon after this interview happened. I doubt much of it was founded on Sharife's preferences.

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Does Coop have a timeline for a commitment? I'd just really like for him to say he's Auburn bound for sure

Later in the process is all I've seen him say.

Teach me - when is the signing day for BB? 

33 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Teach me - when is the signing day for BB? 

There is 2 signing days for basketball. Early signing period in November and then the late one in April.

And I suspect the big dogs sign in the second one?   

Archived