2 players among fastest

aubiefifty

2 Auburn players among fastest in college football this upcoming season

Updated Jun 12, 6:49 AM; Posted Jun 12, 6:48 AM

By Mark Heim

mheim@al.com

There's a saying that speed never has a bad day.

If that's the case, Auburn's upcoming season is looking pretty bright.

NFL.com recently ranked the top 18 speedsters in college football, and two of Gus Malzahn's players represent the Tigers.

Cornerback Javaris Davis comes in at No. 6, while wide receiver Darius Slayton takes the No. 12 spot.

The report on Slayton:

The undisputed deep threat in the Tigers' passing attack has been clocked at 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and as a high school track star, he clocked a 10.53-second 100-meter time despite a groin pull. He stretched the field for 22.2 yards per catch last season, which ranked fifth in the nation. Auburn will need him to be a more complete receiver this fall, but when it's time to take the top off the defense, he'll again be QB Jarrett Stidham's main target.

Slayton was Auburn's leader in terms of yards per catch (22.2) last season. He had 29 catches for 643 yards and five touchdowns, which tied for most on the team.

Meanwhile, the report suggests Davis, who is in line to take over for Jeremiah Dinson, is potentially the most valuable on the roster.

Auburn's fastest player is quickly becoming among its most valuable, as well. Davis is expected to start at nickelback this fall. He can run the 40-yard dash in less than 4.3 seconds, including a 4.24 to lead the AU roster in 2017 spring testing. He's been hand-timed at less than 4.2, but you don't need to buy into hand-timing legends to recognize Davis as fleet-elite.

Davis and Slayton are the only SEC players on the list.

Check out the list here.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

Talk about AU fast!  

Slayton and JDavis among the fastest in the game, AND we have 2 more coming in who are arguably faster than those 2 (Schwartz and Worm)

PS - Noah wasn’t mentioned in the article.  I was thinking he was step for step with JD and Slay.  

Where do Worm and Schwartz fit in here. Frankly, they are on the team right now and should be considered as well. I am hopeful Schwartz has decent moves and can catch the ball.

With Worm, I am very confident he will have success. Some kids just have that fight in them and I think Worm has had to fight hard his whole football life for everything he has gotten. 

9 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Talk about AU fast!  

Slayton and JDavis among the fastest in the game, AND we have 2 more coming in who are arguably faster than those 2 (Schwartz and Worm)

PS - Noah wasn’t mentioned in the article.  I was thinking he was step for step with JD and Slay.  

38 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Where do Worm and Schwartz fit in here. Frankly, they are on the team right now and should be considered as well. I am hopeful Schwartz has decent moves and can catch the ball.

With Worm, I am very confident he will have success. Some kids just have that fight in them and I think Worm has had to fight hard his whole football life for everything he has gotten. 

This came from NFL.com. This isn't an attempt at deep dive CFB journalism and they're not looking at unknown underclassmen. I'm guessing they're stoking the fires for upcoming drafts.

I am ready to see one of our WRs go in the 1st round. Slayton has the opportunity because of his big-play ability.

11 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I can drink beers way faster than that.

tenor.gif

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

giphy.gif

Some...well I.... would say "Marriage Material".

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely. Probably the most rock solid information you're going to see on this site today, folks. 

I love it when we cut through the BS and have these conversations that matter.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. Probably the most rock solid information you're going to see on this site today, folks. 

I love it when we cut through the BS and have these conversations that matter.

I may not know crap about Auburn Football but I'm an EXPERT on beer chugging angels!!!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I may not know crap about Auburn Football but I'm an EXPERT on beer chugging angels!!!

I bet we both know a lot more about Auburn Football after we chug beer with angels. Just ask us after we've had a few.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I bet we both know a lot more about Auburn Football after we chug beer with angels. Just ask us after we've had a few.

TROOF!!!

Plus, after I've chugged afew, oddly I see a lot more angels.  

Before ?‍♀️ ... :drink9:... after ?

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Stand in line big boy:poke:

I learned not to put too much stock in recruiting height/weight/40 times by recent signee Shaun Shivers. 

By all accounts reading articles about him, he is one of the fastest high school players in the nation. Going by his recruiting profile, he runs a 4.52 40. That isn't the speed of one of the fastest players in the nation... But reading up on him, you see just how off these recruiting profiles can be... 

What a pleasant surprise. I presumed the article was about Schwartz and The Worm. Only to find out it is about two players already on the team.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, AUsince72 said:

To each his own, I guess. But isn't Donald already married to Daisy?

22 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

To each his own, I guess. But isn't Donald already married to Daisy?

Don't think so.

Did Scott and Janis Joplin ever marry?

Just a common name.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:41 AM, JFDTiger80 said:

Word on the street is that he's the hardest working newcomer so far. Worm that is.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:03 AM, AUsince72 said:

TROOF!!!

Plus, after I've chugged afew, oddly I see a lot more angels.  

Before ?‍♀️ ... :drink9:... after ?

And they look better too.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, WFE12 said:

Word on the street is that he's the hardest working newcomer so far. Worm that is.

I have heard that as well. I'm a proud momma right now!

14 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

I have heard that as well. I'm a proud momma right now!

This is what impresses/intrigues me most about your son. In fact, I would put his speed/talent third behind his work ethic/heart (1), his support/upbringing and the character it has created and will continue to nurture (2). He has been very fortunate to have received this from both his biological family, as well as to be able to now receive it from his newly adopted AU Family. 

Good job to you and your family for raising a fine young man, as hard as it is especially these days. I look forward to watching his accomplishments and growth, both on the field and off, in the coming years. 

In case you can’t tell, I’m really excited for his potential (and to watch him gash and punish those two schools who so badly need a good humility enema). 

WDE!

Archived