NCAA Makes 2 Huge Rule Changes

ellitor

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It's also a great way of sticking it to your rivals to steal their talent.

*their talent that isn't getting on the field for them and/or you didn't want the first time around.

If Coach Meatneck at Doodoo U takes our leftovers and then beats us with them, then... well, that would make him 2013 Gus Malzahn. But other than that exception, it would mean that we need to hire Doodoo U's coach. 

Might actually increase parity when the occasional guy- and it's only going to be occasional guys, because kids don't actually want to transfer... I mean, it's not like the pros where Team/School B can offer the kid $2 million more than Team/School A- goes from being almost as good as the other guys at Auburn to better than the other guys at Vandy. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hate to tell ya but that goes on now any way through back channels. Very hard to stop.

Yea. I know. That's why I mentioned that the NCAA is really going to have to be vigilant about it or we're going to see some head scratching transfers from players who's uncles suddenly give them a hot new car and who's mom's get house sitting jobs.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*their talent that isn't getting on the field for them and/or you didn't want the first time around.

If Coach Meatneck at Doodoo U takes our leftovers and then beats us with them, then... well, that would make him 2013 Gus Malzahn. But other than that exception, it would mean that we need to hire Doodoo U's coach. 

My concern isn't the guys who aren't getting playing time... my concern is the "offer you can't refuse" causing starters to suddenly have "personal issues" that makes them want to leave.

Might actually increase parity when the occasional guy- and it's only going to be occasional guys, because kids don't actually want to transfer... I mean, it's not like the pros where Team/School B can offer the kid $2 million more than Team/School A- goes from being almost as good as the other guys at Auburn to better than the other guys at Vandy. 

They aren't SUPPOSED to be able to do that, but we've all seen the chargers, rims, suits, etc.

6 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

As far as the four game rule is concerned, are there any restrictions on which 4 games in a season a player plays in?  Could it be any random 4 games (i.e, the 2nd, 5th, 7th, and 10th games), or the last 4 games of the season?      

Have not heard yet.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If a player wants to leave they will make the request. Most of the time they are unhappy enough to just want to be out of where they are.  They don't have to have all the answers to those questions, or any of them for that matter, to know they want to transfer. Once they make the request to transfer they will find out the answers to those questions as schools recruit them.

With all due respect you are way over thinking this IMO. For kids wanting to transfer from a P5 school there will be takers. For kids blowing up at a G5 school there will be takers.

I always over think things, drives the wife & kids crazy as hell.  :rolleyes:

I just see a lot of different angles to this thing and a lot of back channels will be heating up when there are some 4-5* studs (depth) who aren't getting utilized like they think they should, other programs will take advantage.  With the coaching turnover this conference sees from HC's to Asst's to Coordinators - this could affect AU down the road.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:
34 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

As far as the four game rule is concerned, are there any restrictions on which 4 games in a season a player plays in?  Could it be any random 4 games (i.e, the 2nd, 5th, 7th, and 10th games), or the last 4 games of the season?      

Have not heard yet.

From everything I've read, it's any 4 games. A few stories have talked about how it's good for the health of a team because it allows substituting instead of playing injured players.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I always over think things, drives the wife & kids crazy as hell.

I'm with you brother. My wife has even developed a "your overthinking this" look that she gives me.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Coach Meatneck at Doodoo U takes our leftovers 

That's their strategy at DDU... It's tough to recruit there.

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My concern isn't the guys who aren't getting playing time... my concern is the "offer you can't refuse" causing starters to suddenly have "personal issues" that makes them want to leave.

I just can't imagine many scenarios where a guy

...is starting at one school...

...usually having used up a decent chunk of his eligibility to have become a starter...

...and who is producing at a level that another school would want to poach him...

...which would in turn suggest to me that he's probably already looking down the barrel of an NFL contract in a year or two...

...and would stand up to the scrutiny there would be towards a high profile guy who transferred from one high profile program to another high profile program. 

Or maybe that just becomes the business and we quit even pretending that the system isn't rigged. Doubt it, though. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or maybe that just becomes the business and we quit even pretending that the system isn't rigged.

That's what I'm expecting in the not to distant future. I mean, how many of our boosters would have paid whatever he wanted to Lamar Jackson after his Freshman season if Gus would have allowed it?

@keesler also brought up the 5* guy waiting behind the other 5* guy for his turn who might be easily swayed for earlier playing time.

While I'm all for a kid being happy where he is, which is the intent of the rule, I don't trust the people who run the programs at all and every time you make it easier to pass these kids around, it gets closer and closer to being the NFL with the occasional class.

31 minutes ago, keesler said:

this could affect AU down the road.

Everyone will be effected. In AU's case it can help just as easily as hurt with guys coming in Gus wants to use.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

@keesler also brought up the 5* guy waiting behind the other 5* guy for his turn who might be easily swayed for earlier playing time.

That's another way where AU could benefit, taking one of Bama or UGA's 5* talents. Still though, undergrads are still having to sit out a year so while depth may look more attractive at another place time wise may be longer in some cases.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

every time you make it easier to pass these kids around, it gets closer and closer to being the NFL with the occasional class.

Over exaggeration. Student athlete still have to maintain good academic progress just as a non athlete student so it's not just an occasional class. Also student athletes still are only allowed 2 total transfers max & remaining eligible to play college ball.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's another way where AU could benefit, taking one of Bama or UGA's 5* talents. Still though, undergrads are still having to sit out a year so while depth may look more attractive at another place time wise may be longer in some cases.

I don't disagree that Auburn could benefit, but only from the guys who are already transferring, since we aren't the kind to play dirty and go after a player before he declares a transfer.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Over exaggeration. Student athlete still have to maintain good academic progress just as a non athlete student so it's not just an occasional class. Also student athletes still are only allowed 2 total transfers max & remaining eligible to play college ball.

If it gets to the point where money is outwardly in play and players are going to the highest bidder, which is where it's moving, class will become an afterthought.

So realistically everyone should play against Bama state. Hopefully we run the regular offense too. I am very excited for this.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nick Saban and Gus Malzahn will no longer be allowed to block players from transferring to other schools.

Has/does Malzahn block  Auburn players from transferring to a specific school?

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't disagree that Auburn could benefit, but only from the guys who are already transferring,

Kids are already going to be wanting to transfer on their own in most cases. You make it out like college staffs are the big  bad guys here working in the shadows to get things moving & players are innocents. That's simply not the case. All involved are potentially culpable. Hell, there's no way to prove it but I'd be willing to bet family members & people "working in the kid's best interest" will be as influential in all this not on the up & up level as coaches if not more so.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

If it gets to the point where money is outwardly in play and players are going to the highest bidder

Not sure what you mean by outwardly in play but the rest of what you said is very, very old news & has been going on for decades. There is nothing new except the transfer rule change.

7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Has/does Malzahn block  Auburn players from transferring to a specific school?

Remember Antwuan Jackson? Was blocked from Carolina & Ohio St.

4 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

I don't like that they will be put into a database for all coaches to look at.  Seems like it really opens Pandora's box.

The 25/85 rule is still in effect and applies to transfers.  The signing team must have room for the transfer. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

From everything I've read, it's any 4 games. A few stories have talked about how it's good for the health of a team because it allows substituting instead of playing injured players.

This is my understanding say one of your superstar player does not want to play in a bowl so as not to get injury then you could play another running back who has not played all year and he still gets to redshirt

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I read Coach Meatneck at Doodoo U over 5 mins ago and I am still laughing?

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can’t wait to see how this will work with someone like Bo Nix.

What makes you think Bo will want to transfer?

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

What makes you think Bo will want to transfer?

Maybe talking about Bo playing some his freshman year. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Maybe talking about Bo playing some his freshman year. 

Probably!!  I was hung up on the transfer rule. ? 

Archived