U.S. Open Golf

augolf1716

Well golfers its time for my 2nd favorite tournament  I will never forget this shot by Corey. Wife and I are big fans of his we would run into him and his wife at Publix supermarket which was close to Bay Hill here in Orlando. He had the biggest thumbs I've ever seen especially for such a small guy. Was always easy to talk to.

As for Shinnecock Hills I like the course it's not really that long compared to today's standards but you will need to adjust and be patience becomes you will see shots you normally don't in a US Open.

Here's to having a great tournament. Come on Duf...........

Anyone think Corey looks like 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is longer than the normal Open course, isn't it?  Short accurate golfers normally have an advantage in the Open.  That may not be exactly the case at Shinnecock.  They also increased fairway width by about 12 feet because of the extra length.  I will be watching as much as I can.  

6 Par 4's over 475 yards. Yes it is long.

FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND ... weekend for a smidge of yardwork and a ton of burgers, beers and balls!!!

Can Phil or Tiger make an historic run?  A first timer?  An up and comer?  If it ain't Duf then I just hope it is interesting/exciting with a bunch of guys crammed together at the top of the leader board.

So should we start an over-under for the winning score on Sunday...….I'll assume the weather will stay about the same and I say -2 for the winner. and +12 for the cut after Saturday.  Friday

41 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well Duf finished at even.......................:timeout: bet he's damn tried and worn out

If he gives me a call I can help him with those short putts......finally made one on the last hole but played much better than he scored.  

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If he gives me a call I can help him with those short putts......finally made one on the last hole but played much better than he scored.  

Duf putting makes me :timeout:

I didn't get to see any of it today. I checked scores on my phone several times.  I knew it would be tough but not that tough.  

25 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Duf putting makes me :timeout:

He putts like me....Guys kid me about taking a 4 inch backswing with my putter..no matter how long the putt.  .and I can still hit them on the heel every now and again?

I'm not sure I like the course being that hard.  Maybe somewhere between too easy and too difficult. I like to see the players make shots that I can't make.  I could go out to my local public course and watch people shoot 8 - 10 over par.  

18 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I'm not sure I like the course being that hard.  Maybe somewhere between too easy and too difficult. I like to see the players make shots that I can't make.  I could go out to my local public course and watch people shoot 8 - 10 over par.  

Agree....USGA is notorious for trying to prove they can set up a course where nobody can make pars consistently....much less birdies.    Par 4 holes in the 500 yard range and 4 inch rough on the first cut. 

I don't necessarily like to see a bunch of 63s in a tournament but they have overdone it again....and likely have knocked out some of the marquee players......and that is gonna affect TV audience for the weekend.  Lose Tiger, Phil, Jordan, Rory... …..would hate to see that....and at least they won't be burdened by having a bunch of amateurs filling up the field on the weekend.   

BUT I guess that's OK....can focus on the CWS and not be wanting to check back an forth on progress of the golf.

2 hours ago, ertrader said:

Several players have said the biggest factor yesterday was the wind, not the course. I guess we'll see today.

The wind was the biggest factor due to it blowing from a different direction then the previous 3 or 4 days of practice even Duf said that. Now some of the pin placement were especially hard also due to the wind direction. Lets see how it goes out there today if the wind is not bad there are at least 7 to 9 holes that are very birdie friendly 

Should also add several greens are elevated and with a strong wind it makes it almost impossible to get anywhere close to the pins

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

The wind was the biggest factor due to it blowing from a different direction then the previous 3 or 4 days of practice even Duf said that. Now some of the pin placement were especially hard also due to the wind direction. Lets see how it goes out there today if the wind is not bad there are at least 7 to 9 holes that are very birdie friendly 

Should also add several greens are elevated and with a strong wind it makes it almost impossible to get anywhere close to the pins

Or just keep the balls on the greens....where there was a tendency for everything to run down the3 slopes which are cut about the same as 8 Stimpmeter greens.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:07 PM, augolf1716 said:

Anyone think Corey looks like 

Thought you were going to say Freddie Mercury. I remember Corey winning that tournament well. My dad was/is a big fan of his. 

This tournament has been a brutal test from what little golf I've been able to watch - and of course the scores. Dustin Johnson is clearly deserving of his number one ranking. He's finally got the putter going to match the rest of his game. I'm not a huge fan of his (I'm not not a fan, either), but its enjoyable to watch someone at their best. 

and 

12 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Thanks for the update, not :(

Two golfers under par....Dustin at -4 and Poulter -1.....and looks like nobody can putt the greens....never saw so many 5-8 foot putts missed since my round was over this morning...cups are like they are a mirage...

Looking like 9 of 10 over will be the cut ( I had predicted 12)…..Speith is probably done,  Tiger, Matt Kuchar, Bubba, Adam Scott, Jason Day and Rory... and Ernie Els...lots of well known golfers not gonna make it. 

Speith looked like he was gone for the weekend ....and then birdied 4 in a row to get close to the cut line. 

And Poulter triple boggied a hole to lose three strokes to Dustin who is up by 3 over a couple guys who are making a little push.   Rory and some other others have heated up....but too late perhaps...

Wow...Speith just missed a couple very makeable putts for boggies ..one maybe 5 feet after watching Rory miss the same putt..... and will likely miss the cut.....

Archived