U.S. Open Golf

augolf1716

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree. I think Mickelson should withdraw from the tournament (borderline ruling that could have easily been a DQ) after his stunt but use his press conference to blast the USGA for the course setup. The did the same thing at Shinnecock last time the US Open was there: made a historic, beautiful golf course borderline unplayable and, frankly, the tournament not very fun to watch.

Maybe Zach Johnson gave him cover with complaints while PM was still on the course....and after defending the indefensible for an hour, even the commentators had to admit the greens had become unmanageable.   PM might get a fine but PGA is pretty close about when they take disciplinary actions.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe Zach Johnson gave him cover with complaints while PM was still on the course....and after defending the indefensible for an hour, even the commentators had to admit the greens had become unmanageable.   PM might get a fine but PGA is pretty close about when they take disciplinary actions.

The officials handled it by the letter of the rule(s).  What he did does not call for a DQ.   The USGA should DQ themselves for setting up a course than penalizes good shots. 

6 hours ago, around4ever said:

I think that was his way of a protest against the USGA and their set up for this weekend.

I think you nailed it. He somewhat dismissed it by stating he meant no disrespect, but it appeared an intentional protest. And while I agree with protest, I disagree this was an appropriate step. IMO he should have been disqualified.

But back to the protest from Phil and others verbally. The course was a joke in the afternoon. It was right at a 4 stroke difference in the first 11 tee times to the last 11. I can't recall that happening, although I'm sure it has. Regardless, it was a joke. The best score in the last couple groups was like 77. It was not fun to watch and the USGA should be ashamed for impacting the game in this manner. 

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

Azinger is now making excuses for the course, blaming the poor play on the players.  

Missed that, but he is wrong. Bad wrong.

14 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Missed that, but he is wrong. Bad wrong.

Zinger covered for the USGA for a while but finally he was out there by himself....and he eased up.    As Fan78 noted, it was a different course in the morning....two journeyman golfers shooting 66 and thus moved to the top of the field.. Will be a huge surprise if either of them finish in the top 10 even with the 5-7 stroke advantage they had today. 

DJ is in good shape and if he wants to validate that #1 ranking...tomorrow will be a good time to do it. 

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

The officials handled it by the letter of the rule(s).  What he did does not call for a DQ.   The USGA should DQ themselves for setting up a course than penalizes good shots. 

I think they could have DQ’ed him by ruling that he “stopped” a moving ball rather than “played” a moving ball (which I think is what he did and I believe is DQ’able). Regardless, the course was silly in the afternoon and the USGA could have/should have prevented it, particularly given the disaster that happened at Shinnecock the last time the US Open was there. I love Mickelson but think he is better than what he showed today (even though I understand and don’t entirely disagree with what he did). JMO...

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Zach's comments rang hollow to me.  He shot 72 today.  That's not awful on a typical US Open setup.

Also, the PGA has no oversight of this tournament, so Mickelson can't be fined.  PGA and USGA are seperate entities that often fight about what's best for the game.

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I think you nailed it. He somewhat dismissed it by stating he meant no disrespect, but it appeared an intentional protest. And while I agree with protest, I disagree this was an appropriate step. IMO he should have been disqualified.

But back to the protest from Phil and others verbally. The course was a joke in the afternoon. It was right at a 4 stroke difference in the first 11 tee times to the last 11. I can't recall that happening, although I'm sure it has. Regardless, it was a joke. The best score in the last couple groups was like 77. It was not fun to watch and the USGA should be ashamed for impacting the game in this manner. 

Didn't the wind pick up in the afternoon significantly, which altered the course by drying it out faster?  I remember a year at the British where Tiger played thru wind and a monsoon but the afternoon guys got perfect conditions.  Think Tiger shot 81 and missed the cut completely because of it while afternoon guys shot rounds in the 60s.  That's golf sometimes.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Zach's comments rang hollow to me.  He shot 72 today.  That's not awful on a typical US Open setup.

Also, the PGA has no oversight of this tournament, so Mickelson can't be fined.  PGA and USGA are seperate entities that often fight about what's best for the game.

Don't know how much of it you watched but IMO it was not just about the scores but the rough greens and bad pin placements.  If all USGA wants do is show that it can trick up a course so that nobody can break par, I guess it has that right but what rings hollow is USGA and it's contention that it is trying to do what is best for the game. We have seen too many situations in recent years to know that either the Open committee is stupid or incompetent...or they have an agenda that is not just about providing an exciting golf tournament....thinking about Pinehurst a few years ago.

Golf channel guys (DD, BC, FN) hit it on the button. Palmer, Jack, Tiger, Trevino etc.... would never have done what Phil did. He flat disrespected the game. Blast the USGA in the media tent, but don’t make a mockery of the rules. Even his explanation was poor. Telling the fans to toughen up was a joke. He broke the rules bc he was upset about pin placements. Phil should toughen up, and to save face WD. He could do himself a big favor and admit his mistake with the intent and WD. To me, that would be the biggest pie in the face to the USGA. 

I’m ambivalent about what he did.  I’m not a golf purist but am generally a rule follower.

i wish he’d WD but also wish the sanctimonious TV guys would give it a rest.

I do agree if any other player does this then they get skewered by a lot more people.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Didn't the wind pick up in the afternoon significantly, which altered the course by drying it out faster?  I remember a year at the British where Tiger played thru wind and a monsoon but the afternoon guys got perfect conditions.  Think Tiger shot 81 and missed the cut completely because of it while afternoon guys shot rounds in the 60s.  That's golf sometimes.

Weather affects golf no doubt. But there would not be this controversy for simple weather conditions. This is all about the course and its setup.

11 hours ago, fredst said:

I think they could have DQ’ed him by ruling that he “stopped” a moving ball rather than “played” a moving ball (which I think is what he did and I believe is DQ’able). Regardless, the course was silly in the afternoon and the USGA could have/should have prevented it, particularly given the disaster that happened at Shinnecock the last time the US Open was there. I love Mickelson but think he is better than what he showed today (even though I understand and don’t entirely disagree with what he did). JMO...

It was explained as playing a moving ball is a 2 stroke penalty while stopping a ball is DQable.  I'm not sure what difference it makes but there are 2 separate rules covering them. 

29 players started or are starting the final round within 6 strokes of the leaders.  If that was the goal of the USGA then they succeeded.  I still don't like watching pros play like me on the course. 

3 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Golf channel guys (DD, BC, FN) hit it on the button. Palmer, Jack, Tiger, Trevino etc.... would never have done what Phil did. He flat disrespected the game. Blast the USGA in the media tent, but don’t make a mockery of the rules. Even his explanation was poor. Telling the fans to toughen up was a joke. He broke the rules bc he was upset about pin placements. Phil should toughen up, and to save face WD. He could do himself a big favor and admit his mistake with the intent and WD. To me, that would be the biggest pie in the face to the USGA. 

Completely agree. If you way to protest the USGA set up he could do it another way. Phil needs to toughen his ass up

Fowler cards the low round of the week, so far, at 65.  That score is 19 strokes better than his 84 yesterday.   ?  ?   ?

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Don't know how much of it you watched but IMO it was not just about the scores but the rough greens and bad pin placements.  If all USGA wants do is show that it can trick up a course so that nobody can break par, I guess it has that right but what rings hollow is USGA and it's contention that it is trying to do what is best for the game. We have seen too many situations in recent years to know that either the Open committee is stupid or incompetent...or they have an agenda that is not just about providing an exciting golf tournament....thinking about Pinehurst a few years ago.

Watched the whole thing.  Pretty obvious to me the weather dramatically changed the course from morning to afternoon with increased winds amd lots of sunshine.  The course in the morning was there for the taking (see the dual 66s).  USGA can't control mother nature.  If this was the British Open and weather got wonky like that, no one would say a word.

Apparently the same weather conditions....but course is set up different today......looks like we are not going to see lots of top golfers 3 and four-putting today....shucks..    .was so much fun watching DJ miss 6-8 foot putts from both sides of the same hole. 

Yeah its easier today so far USGA said they were watering the green more last night and this morning as well as using some pin placements similar to Friday round

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Yeah its easier today so far USGA said they were watering the green more last night and this morning as well as using some pin placements similar to Friday round

My fear is that by over-compensating, they will take the teeth out of this course, which is not good for the final round.  Of course, I'm that guy that hated last year's US Open because it was way too easy.  69-70 should be a good score at this tourney.  Don't want a bunch of 65s.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

My fear is that by over-compensating, they will take the teeth out of this course, which is not good for the final round.  Of course, I'm that guy that hated last year's US Open because it was way too easy.  69-70 should be a good score at this tourney.  Don't want a bunch of 65s.

Same here......... already had a 65 and 66 today

This final round is starting out like it's on a different course.  Low scores will be the norm today unless the wind picks up.  Patrick Reed is throwing darts into the greens.  He may be one to watch. 

Reed on the move.....figured he could be a factor...  hard nosed guy....seems able to handle pressure.

18 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This final round is starting out like it's on a different course.  Low scores will be the norm today unless the wind picks up.  Patrick Reed is throwing darts into the greens.  He may be one to watch. 

Cups in the middle of most greens.....everyone is taking target practice.

Archived