The Texas Talent Debate

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question to me is not why recruit Texas, it is why not to recruit Texas. I’m not suggesting it becomes our number 1 priority, but it should be a higher one in my opinion. We need a bigger footprint there. Here are some reasons it makes sense:

*The talent is there in numbers, and the players there are willing to leave the state. There are many cases where it is easier for us to win head to head battles with Texas schools, than it is for us to win head to head vs. UGA or UAT. 

*It is efficient. A coach can fly into Dallas or Houston, and in 2-3 days make multiple stops in Dallas, Houston, and Austin. From Huntsville to Mobile is 360 miles. From Dallas to Houston is 240 miles. 

*Our competitors are doing it. Increasingly, Auburn is a nationally recognized brand. We contend for titles, play in some of the nation’s marquee games, and produce Heisman winners and NFL talent.

One thing also you cant deny,Texas is one of the if not the top state when it comes to QB talent.We should at least check the state out just for that simple fact.

I say stop recruiting Arkansas and whatever effort we are putting there just move it to the Houston Area.  Same goes for Baton Rouge.  Let’s LSU and Bama battle for those players.  

29 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I say stop recruiting Arkansas and whatever effort we are putting there just move it to the Houston Area.  Same goes for Baton Rouge.  Let’s LSU and Bama battle for those players.  

I can't agree with you more about Louisiana.  It is rare to get a good kid out of there.  DeAngelo Benton and Trovon Reed were exceptions.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Since when do we recruit Arkansas? Other than Hunter Henry’s brother and Frazier?

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Since when do we recruit Arkansas? Other than Hunter Henry’s brother and Frazier?

Kodi Burns comes to mind. 

CGM has a lot of ties in Arkansas too! Probably knows a lot of hs coaches.

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Michael Dyer as well but I think Arkansas recruiting went a bit higher once we got Gus. I can tell you Arkansas high school talent level is crap and I always have a wait to see attitude when they have insanely high rated players.

You cannot make a silk purse from a pig's ear, and so the story for Arkansas goes...………………...

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

*It is efficient. A coach can fly into Dallas or Houston, and in 2-3 days make multiple stops in Dallas, Houston, and Austin. From Huntsville to Mobile is 360 miles. From Dallas to Houston is 240 miles. 

Texas Tiger week

Day 1-3:  Houston to Beaumont region.

Day 4: San Antonio to Austin

Day 5-7: DFW

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Texas Tiger week

Day 1-3:  Houston to Beaumont region.

Day 4: San Antonio to Austin

Day 5-7: DFW

Or we could make it an Ambush...Spend 3 days all at the same time

Twill, Brown, Horton, and RG to Houston/Beaumont/EastTX

Chip and Kodi to SA/Austin

Steele, Woodson, and Grimes to DFW

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Michael Dyer as well but I think Arkansas recruiting went a bit higher once we got Gus. I can tell you Arkansas high school talent level is crap and I always have a wait to see attitude when they have insanely high rated players.

Since Gus got here at HC the only player we’ve landed from Arkansas is Will Hastings which is why I was confused with Corch’s earlier post! We don’t typically use a lot of resources in Arkansas under Gus. And yeah they have 5 4*s total!

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

Or we could make it an Ambush...Spend 3 days all at the same time

Twill, Brown, Horton, and RG to Houston/Beaumont/EastTX

Chip and Kodi to SA/Austin

Steele, Woodson, and Grimes to DFW

Get them all set up with some good looking Lucchese boots before they go out there. That’s got to help our cause...

Yes, our coaching staff should totally take pointers from internet message posters on who or where they should be recruiting, because obviously the totality of actual recruiting experience here is overwhelming.  While we're at it, why don't we start recruiting Ohio as well? Lotta good players there! 

15 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Since Gus got here at HC the only player we’ve landed from Arkansas is Will Hastings which is why I was confused with Corch’s earlier post! We don’t typically use a lot of resources in Arkansas under Gus. And yeah they have 5 4*s total!

I don't know that we every "recruited" Arkansas. Other than Michael Dyer, who everyone was going after, I think the majority of Arkansas players that we have recruited since Gus has been on the Plains sought him out or already had a relationship with him because of his history/reputation in Arkansas.

Archived