2019 4* OT Xavier Truss (UGA)

ellitor

Believed to be a top OT target
Visited AU for the 2nd time. Plans to come back for an OV.
30 major school offers includes all in the SEC but Vandy & SC. Notable offers outside the SEC: Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Clemson, Oklahoma, & USC

4-star OT visits Auburn, will return for official visit

Jeffrey Lee

AUBURN | Four-star offensive tackle Xavier Truss visited Auburn for the second time on Friday, and a third visit will come in the fall.

Truss, who is from Warwick, R.I., will return to the Plains for an official visit, most likely the weekend of the LSU game (Sept. 14-16).

“They will (get an official visit),” Truss said. “No doubt.”

Truss made the declaration after spending the day touring campus, hanging out with the players and meeting with the coaches.

“It was great getting back down here again,” Truss said. “I got to be around some of the players today like Derrick Brown. I got to see the business school a little more in-depth this time and I got to see what class would be like. It was a good experience.”

Truss spent time with Gus Malzahn and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes. He has developed good relationships with the two coaches.

“Coach Malzahn talks about family, grades and developing as a man. It’s not all about football with him,” Truss said. “Coach Grimes, I love being around him. He’s energetic. I can crack jokes with him. He’s just the kind of guy I love to be around and the kind I would love to be my coach.”

Truss doesn’t list any favorites. Not yet. But he has an idea of which schools will get an official visit.

“I know my top few,” Truss said. “This is my last visit of the summer I have planned, so when I get home I’ll try and sit down and see which games I want to go to.”

One will be to Auburn.

Truss plans to sign in the early period, but won’t graduate until the spring.

Rivals ranks Truss, who stands 6-foot-7 and weighs 341 pounds, the No. 19 offensive tackle in the 2019 class and No. 134 in the Rivals250.

I'm skeptical of competition levels from a state like Rhode Island, but that's a great offer list. Got to find some OT's from anywhere at this point.

He would be a nice get for sure.  I wish he would commit this weekend, but it sounds like he wants to wait till he has an OV before committing  His size is perfect for the OT position.  Sounds like a very smart young man that values his education. Glad that he has hit it off with CJBG.

13 hours ago, fredst said:

Have we ever had a player from Rhode Island? This could be groundbreaking....

He's not from Rhode Island. Rhode Island is from him. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He's not from Rhode Island. Rhode Island is from him. 

Good call!  A kid that big is about the same size as his home state (when it happens to be RI)

sounds like a huge kid with a lot of raw potential. Working with Grimes would be a good fit for him. He could develop into a solid starter by RSSo or RSJR year. 

I would "truss" that Grimes could make such a smart and hopefully coachable player into something special.   "Can't teach size." 

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* OT Xavier Truss (UGA)
25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Committed to UGA today.

It's only June...

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's only June...

tenor.gif

It’s okay. I’m sure it’s another one we didn’t really want. ?

This is harder than it needs to be.  Our OL coach helped get one of his players drafted as the #2 overall pick...so why is AU such a tough sell?

Did we push for Truss’ commitment this weekend?

I love where Auburn stands with top prospects right now, but my biggest fear is our coaches not pushing some of these guys for a commit. Yes, you want them to be solid . But, the longer we wait then the more this is going to happen. Another team is going to swoop and steal the commitment of a kid we were feeling good about.

This one stings. Used up an Official visit, so the kid could commit to our rival. Ouch!

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

This is harder than it needs to be.  Our OL coach helped get one of his players drafted as the #2 overall pick...so why is AU such a tough sell?

1.  It takes time to build relationships. Relationships are what wins recruiting battles. JB has been gone  for a couple years so most of these kids are new for him.  Also as good of an on field coach as  he is,  he’s not a great recruiter. 

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Did we push for Truss’ commitment this weekend?

I love where Auburn stands with top prospects right now, but my biggest fear is our coaches not pushing some of these guys for a commit. Yes, you want them to be solid . But, the longer we wait then the more this is going to happen. Another team is going to swoop and steal the commitment of a kid we were feeling good about.

Pushing for a commitment when someone is not ready is a good way to turn them off too. To be honest we weren’t close enough to the top to even push for a commitment right now.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

This one stings. Used up an Official visit, so the kid could commit to our rival. Ouch!

He was not on an official visit. The article from yesterday posted earlier on this page said he would come back for an official visit. My guess is that may change now

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

1.  It takes time to build relationships. Relationships are what wins recruiting battles. JB has been gone  for a couple years so most of these kids are new for him.  Also as good of an on field coach as  he is,  he’s not a great recruiter. 

I am very happy with our recruiting overall, and you are right that relationships are very important. Even so, I expected us to be doing better with a position like OT where we were shutout last year. 

Archived