the X's and O's of Malzahn's Offense

aubiefifty

ver1.net

A Firsthand Look at the X's and O's of Gus Malzahn's Offense

Editors Erik Turner

7-8 minutes

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is widely recognized as one of the best offensive minds in football. The Tigers have ridden his unique, run-heavy spread system to four ranked finishes in his five seasons as head coach. His system is run-based but disguises those basic run schemes through formation and pre-snap motions and shifts. Most of the passing game is predicated upon play action, speaking to defenses being committed to stopping the Auburn rushing attack. Here are four basic play designs from Auburn last season, along with their install sheets from Malzahn’s 2010 offensive playbook (when he was Auburn’s offensive coordinator).

Rushing Play – “Zin Saint”

One of Auburn’s favorite plays is the traditional “Buck Sweep,” a play in which both guards pull towards the edge to block for the running back. Malzahn has committed to running this play over the years and is able to run it from multiple formations to keep defenses honest. The main coaching points of the Buck Sweep start with the H-back, or what Malzahn calls the “FB.” His job is to “stalemate” the end man on the line of scrimmage and allow the pulling guards and running back to get outside of him. The play side tackle and center down block away from the play while the guards pull. The play side guard wants to kick the strongside linebacker, and the backside guard needs to seal the weakside linebacker. The “S,” which can be a TE or bigger bodied receiver, has the job of sealing the middle linebacker. The running back needs to continue laterally until he sees daylight, then wants to turn upfield and hit the crease in between the two guards.

Reverse – “Green Saint”

Naturally, on a sweep play, a reverse can be advantageous when the defense begins to over-pursue. In Gus Malzahn’s offense, the entire offensive line is taught to block just like Buck Sweep to force the defense to begin their pursuit. The backside tackle is taught to peel off and block the edge of where the reverse is going, while the backside receiver crack-blocks the safety to his side. The only other lead blocker is the quarterback, who is naturally carrying out his play fake in that direction. This play design is predicated upon the foundation of Buck Sweep and the defense having seen the play enough to begin flowing to the direction of the sweep, only to be caught off guard by the misdirection.

Screen – “Laser”

A common theme in Gus Malzahn’s offense is stretching the defense horizontally with wide receiver screens. A common one is throwing the screen to the backside wide receiver in a 3×1 set. Whenever the cornerback is playing far enough off of that backside receiver, this play call can get the ball into the hands of a playmaker in space. The specifics of the play include the play side tackle getting out to block the cornerback, as well as the center scraping to block the backside linebacker. The play involves a run fake to the running back and the backside guard pulling, once again to hold the linebackers from scraping over to the edge to make a play on the eventual screen pass.

Play-Action – “Little Rock 96”

A common play action pass that is based on either Buck or Jet Sweep involved two main routes: a corner from the play side receiver and a deep cross from the backside receiver. This play action pass usually involves extra players in protection to give the quarterback time to carry out a solid fake and the receivers to develop their routes and generate separation. A common protection that this play is run with is known as “Utah” or “Chief”, and is a seven-man protection to pick up extra blitzers and create double teams. Being able to run play action passing concepts off of multiple run looks allows an offense to run their favorite concepts with a variety of looks to keep the defense honest.

Malzahn does an excellent job of picking his spots to throw the ball and keeping his quarterback in comfortable scenarios. Continually operating ahead of the chains with a successful run game can open up multiple dimensions for a play-caller. Malzahn’s continued commitment to running the football and the success that his teams have had are directly tied together, as well as the efficiency his quarterbacks play with. The Buck Sweep and multiple looks that Auburn has designed off of it is a staple of their offense and a solid starting point when examining their playbook.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Erik Turner doesn't believe it's Chip Lindsey's offense?

i have no idea. lol

• WarTiger changed the title to the X's and O's of Malzahn's Offense
1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is widely recognized as one of the best offensive minds in football

First sentence negates the rest of the article. 

Malzahn USED to be recognized as one of the best offensive minds in football. 

Source... 17 straight runs on first down VS LSU and everyone including the TV announcers and my 9 year old daughter KNEW what was coming... That doesn't exactly equate to offensive mastermind... 

All offensive minds need to adapt to the game, the skill set of the players and to what defenses are doing to try and stop them.  I'd love to see this offense evolve a more sophisticated passing game this year. Of course, I've said that for the past several seasons too. We'll just have to see. 

Took my wife to a new restaurant for breakfast one morning.  Under new management.

The hostess told us we would have and exceptional breakfast, the waitress told us the breakfast would be exceptional, after the breakfast the manager came out and asked us how we liked the exceptional breakfast and at checkout they asked us did we like the exceptional breakfast.   I told the manage to worry about the process and corporate would not need to be concerned about the outcome.  

Little doc

16 hours ago, bdc81 said:

Took my wife to a new restaurant for breakfast one morning.  Under new management.

The hostess told us we would have and exceptional breakfast, the waitress told us the breakfast would be exceptional, after the breakfast the manager came out and asked us how we liked the exceptional breakfast and at checkout they asked us did we like the exceptional breakfast.   I told the manage to worry about the process and corporate would not need to be concerned about the outcome.  

Little doc

Someone had some of golf's beers

22 hours ago, bdc81 said:

Little doc

IHOB?

Take your car for service and the service adviser who works on commission and trained to push services reminds you to give him a 5 star review then corporate calls you during your business day to survey whether you are braindead or need more brainwashing.

Little doc           never been to IHOP

8 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Someone had some of golf's beers

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

The real question for any offense is how dynamic/unpredictable is it? You can be predictable, if you are overpowering. Otherwise, you must be unpredictable.

If you go back to 2009, AU ran mostly CGM's power running/play action spread. Few outside of the Sun Belt had seen it, so it was new, different, innovative, unpredictable, and hard to defend. The next year, with Cam Newton, CGM brushed off the option game he got from Herb Hand at Tulsa and had tremendous success with perhaps the greatest dual-threat QB to ever play the game. But more, the option plays were not the traditional inside zone read option, they were the outsize zone read and inverted veer options last seen by UF with Tebow. Again, we were unpredictable, and when we were predictable, we were overpowering.

After two years, the SEC defenses all had game film on the entire CGM playbook. There was a drop off in talent, and as a result we were predictable.

Fast forward to 2013, and it is like every other team lost the game film or forgot, but also with Nick Marshall we shifted to a more traditional inside zone read. The IZR was mostly a constraint play, not a bread-and-butter every down play. But it was with AU in 2013, and it exhausted the defenses--especially when we flipped the play to a split-zone blocking the backside DE/OLB and reading the scraping inside linebacker. We had good OL talent too.

But this doesn't work without a Nick Marshall type QB. That is why we needed to evolve.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, johnnyAU said:

All offensive minds need to adapt to the game, the skill set of the players and to what defenses are doing to try and stop them.  I'd love to see this offense evolve a more sophisticated passing game this year. Of course, I've said that for the past several seasons too. We'll just have to see. 

We threw for over 2900 yds last year, 3rd most in the conference. Our completion percentage was the highest in the conference. Our yds per attempt was in the upper half of the conference. So my question would be, what sophistication are you looking for and what end result would you be looking for?

48 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

We threw for over 2900 yds last year, 3rd most in the conference. Our completion percentage was the highest in the conference. Our yds per attempt was in the upper half of the conference. So my question would be, what sophistication are you looking for and what end result would you be looking for?

4 and 5 wide sets periodically.

Passes when it's 3rd and long that aren't  play action or statue of liberties.

Passes in the 10-20 yard range.

Passes designed to beat the defense...If we're playing man teams run crosses, drags, and rubs. If we're playing zone teams run floods, levels, and hi-los.

Use our backs in the passing game. Run angles, Texas, and flares.  

Use the TE

Passes that stress the LB and exploit their aggressiveness.

Implement any of these things and our offense becomes much more dynamic and unpredictable.  An offense that is unpredictable is dangerous and extremely difficult to game plan and adjust to.  That's why so many of us want some evolution to the offense.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Passes designed to beat the defense...If we're playing man teams run crosses, drags, and rubs. If we're playing zone teams run floods, levels, and hi-los.

Use the TE

Implement any of these things and our offense becomes much more dynamic and unpredictable.  An offense that is unpredictable is dangerous and extremely difficult to game plan and adjust to.  That's why so many of us want some evolution to the offense.

What he said.... :beer2:

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Use the TE

Not that we did ALL aid these that you posted, but I think that’s why the first UGA game in 2017 felt so good. The play calling and timing of the counters to their blitz calls were fantastic. The Ryan Davis TD thrown into the blitz off the wideside and the throw back screen to KJ to ice the game. Same with the Iron Bowl. There was even a play where Ryan Davis and Hastings high fives each other on a crossing route that went to Ryan for a big gain. Those two games we also attempted as many passes as we did rushes in the first half though. We threw to open up the run. Imagine that.

I agree with what you’re saying though. It just sucks cause we have seen glimpses of what this offense can do when we break tendencies and press a bit. We’re gonna need to use the backs a lot more in the passing game this year too. Especially if our OL proves to me porous. Here’s to hoping we see evolution in 2018!

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Use the TE

I get that offenses need to change and evolve but I saw nearly all of what you list during the year ( except throwing to tight end). But to my question, what is the desired result.? A higher completion %.? We were highest in conference. More yds? Maybe but we threw for a lot of yds. Better ypa? Ok we weren’t the best but over 8 per attempt which is not bad. More TDs? We threw for 20 against 4 int which was pretty good. 

Sometimes it seems that many on here think we had a terrible passing game last year when the stats say we had a very good passing attack this past year. 

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

But to my question, what is the desired result.? 

Less predictably.  Greater diversity in passing concepts and play calling.

17 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I get that offenses need to change and evolve but I saw nearly all of what you list during the year ( except throwing to tight end). But to my question, what is the desired result.? A higher completion %.? We were highest in conference. More yds? Maybe but we threw for a lot of yds. Better ypa? Ok we weren’t the best but over 8 per attempt which is not bad. More TDs? We threw for 20 against 4 int which was pretty good. 

Sometimes it seems that many on here think we had a terrible passing game last year when the stats say we had a very good passing attack this past year. 

It was good at times, and at other times it was bad. 145 yards in the SECCG when we couldn't get anything going on the ground and desperately needed something. We are incapable of using the pass to dictate anything. It works under perfect conditions, particularly such as playing a mostly crappy SEC West. 

Our passing game isn't terrible but it's not nearly as effective as it could and should be with our available talent. And it's damned sure nothing to keep calling Gus an "offensive genius" like the article in the OP does.

I have a feeling it will look different this season because Gus trusts Chip now and isn't going to hold him back anymore. And no more Herb Hand getting in the way.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was good at times, and at other times it was bad. 145 yards in the SECCG when we couldn't get anything going on the ground and desperately needed something. We are incapable of using the pass to dictate anything. It works under perfect conditions, particularly such as playing a mostly crappy SEC West. 

Our passing game isn't terrible but it's not nearly as effective as it could and should be with our available talent. And it's damned sure nothing to keep calling Gus an "offensive genius" like the article in the OP does.

I have a feeling it will look different this season because Gus trusts Chip now and isn't going to hold him back anymore. And no more Herb Hand getting in the way.

You sure?

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

tenor.gif

I'm waiting for the articles & stories titled "How Awesome is Chip Lindsey's Offense".

I think this is the year!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Wondering if our "available "talent is good as some folks think it is?  And I love the assurance that some people have...…. that making those changes will actually yield a better result with nobody at TE who could be depended on to catch a crucial pass and a young inexperienced QB who did not handle the rush very well at critical moments or a young offensive lineman who can't seem to handle an all-conference lineman on the defense across from him. .  

Second guessing the OC or HC is part of what forums are all about......here and other schools too.   But I have to laugh at the assurances of some posters who are convinced they would have prepared a better game plan.....or made a better play call with 3rd and 7 on the opponent 15 yard line and with about 25 seconds to make the decision and confirm he had the right people on the field for the preferred play  and get the play off.  .   The game looks pretty easy in hindsight but maybe it's that EA Sports coaching experience that gives so many armchair coaches their confidence. 

11 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Stats can be very misleading. I am a stats guy. I love stats but you also got to have some sort of perspective as well too. Yes passing jumped , but it also jumped because we had a protypical passer who we somewhat allowed to throw the ball more. If you looked at NM stats from 2013 - 2014, you see his passing stats improved. But did the he improve? Did the offense continue to expand and remodify? or did he have more options and more trust to pass? 

Last year, it was a fade to Slayton or a quick screen to Davis. A good majority of the time that worked, but that’s not going to work this upcoming year because teams have film and they will readjust to it. I want to see the offense continuously be adaptive and not just live on the same principles. 

And unfortunately , if you look at it, a lot of our passing was predictive on how successful we were at running the ball. In our losses, if we didn’t run the ball efficiently, we couldn’t pass either. That is a huge asterisk. Guess what? Good teams are going to do their best to take away that. And yes I know we beat Bama and UGA.

At the end of the day, what I am hoping to see is ADJUSTMENTS on the fly. When the original game plan isn’t hitting on all cylinders, the ability to remodify and still play efficiently. The offense was good last year . Now let’s take it to the next step. I think that’s fair to want from a fans perspective.

Archived