the X's and O's of Malzahn's Offense

aubiefifty

You know what I would like to see a lot more? That two minute offense we ran against UCF when we needed quick scores. That is where JS excels at. He was so comfortable doing that and the offense was comfortable. People going to definitely have to get in shape for that to occur but we looked great doing that. And you don’t have to abandon the run to implement that.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wondering if our "available "talent is good as some folks think it is?  And I love the assurance that some people have...…. that making those changes will actually yield a better result with nobody at TE who could be depended on to catch a crucial pass and a young inexperienced QB who did not handle the rush very well at critical moments or a young offensive lineman who can't seem to handle an all-conference lineman on the defense across from him. .  

Second guessing the OC or HC is part of what forums are all about......here and other schools too.   But I have to laugh at the assurances of some posters who are convinced they would have prepared a better game plan.....or made a better play call with 3rd and 7 on the opponent 15 yard line and with about 25 seconds to make the decision and confirm he had the right people on the field for the preferred play  and get the play off.  .   The game looks pretty easy in hindsight but maybe it's that EA Sports coaching experience that gives so many armchair coaches their confidence. 

And we laugh at the incessant, unyielding defense and complete intolerance of even the most constructive and obvious critiques of the Great One who others have deemed beyond any reproach. Well, we used to. It grew tiresome long time ago.

116 yards of total offense against Clemson. 11 sacks surrendered. After 4 straight top 10 recruiting classes.

17 straight run calls on first down averaging 4 yards per, all the while watching a lead that would have been insurmountable on any other day evaporate.

7 total points scored in the SEC championship game.

Wash, rinse, repeat. This is so boring.

One more thing. No disrespect but there is no reason why JS shouldn’t be average at the least 250 yards passing a game. And I believe he wants to be in that position tbh. Like realistically , the coaching staff should have him in the position to be putting Chad Kelly 2015 numbers. It won’t happen because of the principles we abide by but this is what I mean about being adaptive .

I know my opinion means nothing since I am not a collegiate coach.

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

.....or made a better play call with 3rd and 7 on the opponent 15 yard line and with about 25 seconds to make the decision and confirm he had the right people on the field for the preferred play  and get the play off.  .   

Except, that's what coaches are supposed to do.  Coaches practice those situations as well...or should.  Game day coaching is(or should be) a well rehearsed and choreographed experience.  Each coach has a job during those moments, from clock management to personnel movement.

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wondering if our "available "talent is good as some folks think it is?  And I love the assurance that some people have...…. that making those changes will actually yield a better result with nobody at TE who could be depended on to catch a crucial pass and a young inexperienced QB who did not handle the rush very well at critical moments or a young offensive lineman who can't seem to handle an all-conference lineman on the defense across from him. .  

Second guessing the OC or HC is part of what forums are all about......here and other schools too.   But I have to laugh at the assurances of some posters who are convinced they would have prepared a better game plan.....or made a better play call with 3rd and 7 on the opponent 15 yard line and with about 25 seconds to make the decision and confirm he had the right people on the field for the preferred play  and get the play off.  .   The game looks pretty easy in hindsight but maybe it's that EA Sports coaching experience that gives so many armchair coaches their confidence. 

What I would say is this to what you are saying...Maybe they wouldn’t , maybe they would, but if that is your lively, I would hope you would do everything possible to put yourself in the position to be successful. I am not giving anymore benefit of the doubts to Gus Malzahn (not that I am important). He has absolutely lost that because he consistently does mind boggling things. Now that doesn’t mean he is always wrong. More times than not he is arguably right, but when you look at LSU vs Bama, can you honestly say that was about as creative of a game plan he could’ve concocted?

It is like a math major getting an A on a Calculas exam , but getting a C in introductory algebra a couple of weeks earlier. Something isn’t right about that. 

Again...

Our issues with CGM are not a bad play here, or a mistake there, or losing a hard fought (well played) game to a great opponent.

If Auburn had looked like they looked against bammer or thUga (1.0) when they played Clemson, LSU or thUga (2.0) but still lost (proving the other team was just better that day) then we wouldn't feel so "betrayed" and would have utmost confidence heading into 2018.

There's no excuse in a power SEC team with a $4M head coach to ever look stupid for the better part of a game, much less 4 of them.

Note: I didn't even mention UCF above because NO Auburn football team ever has any business losing to a team like that.  So that's a whole 'nother level of Duh.

All we ask is that Win or Lose, earn your pay EVERY game.  If Gus does that, chances are they'd never lose north of 2 games a year.

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except, that's what coaches are supposed to do.  Coaches practice those situations as well...or should.  Game day coaching is(or should be) a well rehearsed and choreographed experience.  Each coach has a job during those moments, from clock management to personnel movement.

As does the guy on the other side.....running the defense to minimize what the offense wants to do.

But mostly I was suggesting that some fans over-rate the talent of our players last season....other than the fact they managed to beat two #1 teams in 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As does the guy on the other side.....running the defense to minimize what the offense wants to do.

But mostly I was suggesting that some fans over-rate the talent of our players last season....other than the fact they managed to beat two #1 teams in 3 weeks.

Overrated the talent ? How? They are top ten talent 64. Are you making this argument and putting the onus on other fans for their expectations ?

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You could be right.

However, with a plethora of Top 10 recruiting classes the last several years, who does "lack of talent" fall on?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The game looks pretty easy in hindsight but maybe it's that EA Sports coaching experience that gives so many armchair coaches their confidence. 

Btw, at least one high school coach shares these thoughts. So maybe you should check your condescension. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Overrated the talent ? How? They are top ten talent 64. Are you making the argument this argument and putting the onus on other fans for their expectations ?

He has no interest whatsoever in an objective assessment of the job our head coach is doing. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Btw, at least one high school coach shares these thoughts. So maybe you should check your condescension. 

When I play my EA football game, I just give it to my best player and run him into the dirt over and over...

Wait for it......

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He has no interest whatsoever in an objective assessment of the job our head coach is doing. 

I just need some clarification because two weeks ago the position was we shouldn’t feel bad for Mississippi state because they are in the SEC and should be able to win but I know for sure Miss State never recruits top ten talent. So if our talent is overrated...

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just need some clarification because two weeks ago the position was we shouldn’t feel bad for Mississippi state because they are in the SEC and should be able to win but I know for sure Miss State never recruits top ten talent. So if our talent is overrated...

Isn't that funny? How Dan Mullen has no excuses for failing to produce at a school that had almost no top-20 seasons in its entire history but we are EA Sports armchair coaches for wondering how Gus loses 4 games a season for 4 consecutive seasons at Auburn? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Isn't that funny? How Dan Mullen has no excuses for failing to produce at a school that had almost no top-20 seasons in its entire history but we are EA Sports armchair coaches for wondering how Gus loses 4 games a season for 4 consecutive seasons at Auburn? 

Atleast I make the excuses for everyone ???

Lack of or overrating the talent? lol. Where are the holes in our roster? 

Our roster last season was maybe the most talented AU team in modern history from top to bottom. And it still lost 4 games. We had 4 seniors on the OL, a stud QB with an NFL future, Kerryon Johnson, and our WRs are oozing with talent along with a nasty defense. Talented enough to beat the 2 teams in the national title game -- if you have the talent to do that and still end up with 4 losses something is wrong and it ain't the players. Calling 17 first down runs and letting your QB eat 11 sacks with no check down options, that's a coaching issue...

But I mean...Gus coached a team in 2014 that ended up with the most pros on NFL rosters the following year and still ended up 8-5 so...the man has tons of talent at his disposal. Seeing as the talent level actually can only improve marginally across the board, what exactly does Gus need to not look like a freaking idiot at times? His brain fart moments are inexplicable and it has nothing to do with EA Sports. Announcers and casual fans with no real football knowledge are calling out what we're about to run for crap's sake....HOW???

It's also debatable whether or not our LSU loss should count as double because Ed Orgeron coached circles around Gus for the 2nd half.

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's also debatable whether or not our LSU loss should count as double because Ed Orgeron coached circles around Gus for the 2nd half.

And let's be clear. This is true, but it's not because Ed Orgeron had a good day. LSU literally said, "Uh, what if we move a guy here?" and Gus pretty much just went all...

Image result for princess bride gif

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And let's be clear. This is true, but it's not because Ed Orgeron had a good day. LSU literally said, "Uh, what if we move a guy here?" and Gus pretty much just went all...

LSU had no answer that day.  Gus could have named the score.

thUga (1.0) and IB Gus would have beat them by 40.  I LOVE that guy!

However, thUga (2.0) and UCF Gus made a preview appearance after Auburn went up by 3 scores instead.  I hate THAT guy!

tumblr_ldnp29Vm0N1qzrlhgo1_400.gif

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That may be the worst part of it all. The dumbest coach in the SEC didn't even do anything groundbreaking. Literally moved a guy into one spot and were waiting for us to do anything to try to counter it but...

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

That may be the worst part of it all. The dumbest coach in the SEC didn't even do anything groundbreaking. Literally moved a guy into one spot and were waiting for us to do anything to try to counter it but...

Losing to a team who had just came off from a loss to Troy state? Cringeworthy...

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Orgeron & Aranda made comments after that game (a must win for them after the Troy loss) and they pretty much said they were waiting for AU to counter their defense with anything remotely different on offense  - they waited - they waited - they waited - and AU refused to adjust.  

But it wasn't "the end of the world" and AU went on to show out big time to end the regular season by thumping the two teams that played for the NC.

Just now, keesler said:

Orgeron & Aranda made comments after that game (a must win for them after the Troy loss) and they pretty much said they were waiting for AU to counter their defense with anything remotely different on offense  - they waited - they waited - they waited - and AU refused to adjust.  

But it wasn't "the end of the world" and AU went on to show out big time to end the regular season by thumping the two teams that played for the NC.

Except it probably wouldn't have been those 2 teams playing for the NC if we hadn't crapped the bed against LSU. 

What makes me most pissed is Bama lost the game, but really won it by injuring Kerryon's shoulder and getting a free pass through SEC Championship weekend. 

faskjhdfskjfaddaskjfhas

Yes, that is the result of me banging my forehead on the keyboard

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What makes me most pissed is Bama lost the game, but really won it by injuring Kerryon's shoulder and getting a free pass through SEC Championship weekend. 

faskjhdfskjfaddaskjfhas

Yes, that is the result of me banging my forehead on the keyboard

Left-headed?

Archived