Phil’s moving ball putt

tigerbrotha12

I’m no golf expert; I rarely pay attention to it or play it, so my thoughts are probably not worth much.

I thought he intentionally cheated the game while knowing tbe punishment was less severe than continuing to let the greens make a fool out of himself. If he knew the punishment, and was willing to accept it, I have no deeper problems with what he did. It’s up to the USGA to decide if they want to add additional punishment to make the likelihood of it happening again less likely. 

Phil was being a prick imo he let it get to him and he was trying to show up the USGA. He knew what the penalty for hitting a moving ball was. Every good player knows that especially when putting.

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Phil was being a prick imo he let it get to him and he was trying to show up the USGA. He knew what the penalty for hitting a moving ball was. Every good player knows that especially when putting.

yep....and the next putt was another "show 'em' play too.  Deliberately hit an uphill birdie putt well past the cup ...maybe 6 or 8 feet up the hill to let it roll back down toward the hole......an obvious trick shot IMO but no real violation in that case....ball missed the cup coming back down and Phil made his par. 

17 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

He should have been disqualified from the tournament. 

As bad as his score was, and with his actions on the course, I don’t think he would have cared if got DQed from the tournament. Maybe DQ him for the next major? Either way, the punishment wasn’t severe enough. 

5 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

No idea what the rule is because golf is full of jacked up rules.  Whatever the rule was, enforce it and get over the butthurt.  If he circumvented the letter of the law, then change the rules to deal with it in the future.

11 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

No idea what the rule is because golf is full of jacked up rules.  Whatever the rule was, enforce it and get over the butthurt.  If he circumvented the letter of the law, then change the rules to deal with it in the future.

He got the correct penalty 2 strokes and move on and no they would not DQ him for doing it. Now if he had kept doing funky crap yes they could but not this.

I'm just glad to see a legendary professional play like me for once.

On 6/18/2018 at 1:53 PM, Mike4AU said:

So I just started golfing about 3 years ago. I did not play growing up. I caught on quick to the basics of ettiequte though, but I am still having a difficult time comprehending why people got so mad about what he did. Can you explain? Or @augolf1716

No anger in what I said.  My comment was a pragmatic response to his acting like a dick, in full view of everyone. Yeah, I recognize that he was assessed the two stroke penalty, but IMO that penalty was not enough. 

16 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So I just started golfing about 3 years ago. I did not play growing up. I caught on quick to the basics of ettiequte though, but I am still having a difficult time comprehending why people got so mad about what he did. Can you explain? Or @augolf1716

He wanted to embarrass the USGA for the way they laid out the golf course/greens. He picked the wrong way to do golf is very sportsmanship/ettiequte oriented. It was a John Daly move and if you know anything about him especially his younger days you'll understand. Phil has apologized he screwed up royally and he knows it. My two cents

By the way great to hear you picking up golf. I've taught now for a few years best advise I can give for now be patience golf takes time and if you really do like it take lessons from a teaching pro. 

Good luck and hit'em straight 

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

By the way great to hear you picking up golf. I've taught now for a few years best advise i can give for now be patience golf takes timeand if you really do like it take lessons from a teaching pro. 

Good luck and hit'em straight 

Thanks. I smoked a green with my 3-wood this past weekend on a 250 yard par-4. Had to go over about a 60ft high oak tree to do it. Best shot of my life. annnddddd then 3-putted.....

It's amazing, somedays I can't hit driver and have to use 3-wood out of tee box and vice versa. Golf is a great game. I guess its cool to be able to "pick up a sport" later into life. Played Albany in Bahamas a few weeks ago. Don't ask me how many balls I lost.  

26 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Thanks. I smoked a green with my 3-wood this past weekend on a 250 yard par-4. Had to go over about a 60ft high oak tree to do it. Best shot of my life. annnddddd then 3-putted.....

It's amazing, somedays I can't hit driver and have to use 3-wood out of tee box and vice versa. Golf is a great game. I guess its cool to be able to "pick up a sport" later into life. Played Albany in Bahamas a few weeks ago. Don't ask me how many balls I lost.  

3 wood 250 not bad at all...............then 3 putted. Happens more then you think.

Golf is the greatest sport it can teach you so much. The story's I could tell after playing for almost 60 years people I have met both fantastic players and god awful players. Courses I have played all over the country and yes I even played in the Bahamas before you were born. Yeah I saw you played Albany when you were posting back with brad I believe. I will stop now or I could go on and on concerning golf.

I love golf

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

3 wood 250 not bad at all...............then 3 putted. Happens more then you think.

Golf is the greatest sport it can teach you so much. The story's I could tell after playing for almost 60 years people I have met both fantastic players and god awful players. Courses I have played all over the country and yes I even played in the Bahamas before you were born. Yeah I saw you played Albany when you were posting back with brad I believe. I will stop now or I could go on and on concerning golf.

I love golf

3 wood 250... I'll tell you how good I am.

I can hit every club in my bag the same distance....and usually do ?

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

3 wood 250... I'll tell you how good I am.

I can hit every club in my bag the same distance....and usually do ?

Sounds like a topped ball lots of row with that

53 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Sounds like a topped ball lots of row with that

On occasion. 

My biggest bugaboo is not relaxing and hitting Florida first.  Tends to make me hit my longer clubs like wedges.  Typical rank amateur...

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

On occasion. 

My biggest bugaboo is not relaxing and hitting Florida first.  Tends to make me hit my longer clubs like wedges.  Typical rank amateur...

I could fix that fairly easy if you play enough see a teaching pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 7:40 PM, AUsince72 said:

On occasion. 

Focus on finishing the swing.  Most hackers who hit 7 and 4 iron the same distance tend to quit at the ball. You want the club moving the fastest ( or seemingly moving fastest) from the ball for the next 18 inches. I’m kinda a has been but want  to get back into it. Gotta make time. But think “ swing through it, not to it”. 

On 6/21/2018 at 8:04 PM, augolf1716 said:

I could fix that fairly easy if you play enough see a teaching pro

I want to do this. Been looking at a 6 course package at the PGA Superstore in town, but don't want to waste my time/money. What's a resonable cost for lessons and how many lessons should I get? I have been playing for about 20-25 years but VERY irregularly (I only played twice last year) and I usually shoot in the mid-90s. I have the worst time with my driver, which I can hit OK at times, but I always hit it a mile high for some reason, doesn't matter how I tee the ball. Slice is bad at times too, so suffice it to say, I probably have a fair amount of things I need to correct so consider that when you consider how many lessons I should get.

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

I want to do this. Been looking at a 6 course package at the PGA Superstore in town, but don't want to waste my time/money. What's a resonable cost for lessons and how many lessons should I get? I have been playing for about 20-25 years but VERY irregularly (I only played twice last year) and I usually shoot in the mid-90s. I have the worst time with my driver, which I can hit OK at times, but I always hit it a mile high for some reason, doesn't matter how I tee the ball. Slice is bad at times too, so suffice it to say, I probably have a fair amount of things I need to correct so consider that when you consider how many lessons I should get.

Its a wide range cost wise depends on how good the teaching pro is. On the average it would run from $40 to $100/hour. If you purchase a buck package you will get a better rate. I will say it can be hard to find a good instructor who you like. You will want to take the time to sit down and talk to the guy just to kinda get to know him  to see what kind of demeanor he has. To be honest some can be a.. holes

As for the number of lessons that's hard to say just a guess but since you've played 25 years and shoot mid 90's I would say at least 4 /6. also that hour can go by fast so he should keep it simple and not put to many thinks in your head to drive you crazy. If you know what I mean.....

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Its a wide range cost wise depends on how good the teaching pro is. On the average it would run from $40 to $100/hour. If you purchase a buck package you will get a better rate. I will say it can be hard to find a good instructor who you like. You will want to take the time to sit down and talk to the guy just to kinda get to know him  to see what kind of demeanor he has. To be honest some can be a.. holes

As for the number of lessons that's hard to say just a guess but since you've played 25 years and shoot mid 90's I would say at least 4 /6. also that hour can go by fast so he should keep it simple and not put to many thinks in your head to drive you crazy. If you know what I mean..... 

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I will be sure to talk to the pros before deciding on where to get lessons.

17 hours ago, jared52 said:

Hitting the driver a mile high no matter how it’s teed is an interesting problem. What type driver is this? It seems almost impossible with a big headed driver. Are you moving sod?

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Hitting the driver a mile high no matter how it’s teed is an interesting problem. What type driver is this? It seems almost impossible with a big headed driver. Are you moving sod?

A 10 degree  Maxfli that came with the set I bought at Dick’s. I don’t have high dollar clubs. And no, I don’t hit the ground. I tee the ball about 1” up, align it inside my front foot, and whack it.

Archived