injuries update

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn remains optimistic 3 injured Auburn players will be ready for fall camp

Updated Jun 19, 7:11 PM; Posted Jun 19, 7:11 PM

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

With approximately six weeks until fall camp five Auburn players are still on the mend from injuries sustained during the spring, but Gus Malzahn remains optimistic that three will be ready when the Tigers resume practice.

Defensive lineman Daquan Newkirk (torn Achilles), center Nick Brahms (broken leg) and safety Jeremiah Dinson (shoulder surgery) could all return for the start of fall camp and Malzahn said receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings are "ahead of schedule" recovering from torn anterior cruciate ligaments.

Malzahn said Newkirk and Brahms remain "limited," but are on the right track.

"Talking to (head trainer) Robbie (Stewart) the other day, we feel confident that they'll be in a good spot for fall camp," Malzahn said before Auburn's Ambush tour stop in Newnan, Ga. on Tuesday. "As it gets closer I'll give an update on their status, but we're very hopeful."

Malzahn believe Dinson will be "ready to go" for fall camp as well. The junior defensive back's recovery has been ahead of schedule.

Stove and Hastings are both roughly three months into recovery from ACL surgery and Malzahn said both are coming along very well.

"Their rehab is going excellent," he said. "Both of them are ahead of schedule. We're hopeful we'll get those guys back to help this season."

Recovery from ACL surgery typically takes 9-12 months, but the newly passed four-game redshirt rule could open the door for Hastings and Stove to return to the field later in the season without losing a year of eligibility.

Malzahn, who supported the rule change, didn't want to speculate so far ahead of time for such a decision.

"We'll kind of see where that goes," he said. "I think that's something every head coach will take into effect. There will be a little more strategy involved as far as that goes."

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

but the newly passed four-game redshirt rule could open the door for Hastings and Stove to return to the field later in the season without losing a year of eligibility.

Didn't think about that with the new rule. Talk about a shot in the arm if they can play the last 4 games and still have another year.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:22 AM, lionheartkc said:

Didn't think about that with the new rule. Talk about a shot in the arm if they can play the last 4 games and still have another year.

Guess that depends on if you know what your last 4 games are.  Do you play last 4 reg season games or do you hold till IB and play IB, SEC Champsionship, R1 & R2?  Here's hoping this is an issue we have to worry about!

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Guess that depends on if you know what your last 4 games are.  Do you play last 4 reg season games or do you hold till IB and play IB, SEC Champsionship, R1 & R2?  Here's hoping this is an issue we have to worry about!

It would be tough to come back from injury and have your first game of the season be the Iron Bowl.

I just saw Nick on campus, with my well trained Pilot eyes driving at 25 mph going then slowing to go over the speed bump, it looked to me he was in fact..... walking in a straight line while looking at his phone. 

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Depends on how good Georgia is. It might be Georgia, Iron Bowl, SEC Championship and R1 or R2.  The good news is that give you 5 games (counting the cupcake between Georgia and the Iron Bowl) to get anyone who's beat up back into shape for the championship game, if you make it.

I expect Dinson back by fall. I think Brahms should be good to go as well but may be a little slower to get back into playing shape. Newkirk will take longer to see the field. I don't expect Will or Eli back this year. The new rule is interesting, because both could redshirt if they wanted. Might be possible to get them back towards the end of the year and give them a touch or two if they can rejoin practices, but doubt it. I think Gus likes to keep that door open.

Does anyone know if new players coming in for next year early can actually play in bowl games now without losing the redshirt? I thought i had read that there was still a restriction on that. 

4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Does anyone know if new players coming in for next year early can actually play in bowl games now without losing the redshirt? I thought i had read that there was still a restriction on that. 

They still can't play in a bowl at all.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, triangletiger said:

It would be tough to come back from injury and have your first game of the season be the Iron Bowl.

I have some doubts about coaches trying to beat the system by playing a guy part of the season ( except as a sub or an injured player) and otherwise deliberately sitting him out for 8 or 9 games.   Seems like this rule might be more valuable to a starter or first line sub who is hurt a couple games into the season and out for the rest of the season.

It does provide the chance to give a few young guys some serious playing time against FCS teams early in the season to see how they do and if they do not look ready for the SEC, call it a season

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I expect Dinson back by fall. I think Brahms should be good to go as well but may be a little slower to get back into playing shape. Newkirk will take longer to see the field. I don't expect Will or Eli back this year. The new rule is interesting, because both could redshirt if they wanted. Might be possible to get them back towards the end of the year and give them a touch or two if they can rejoin practices, but doubt it. I think Gus likes to keep that door open.

If Anfernee McLemore can snap his leg in half and be back jumping on it and dunking in a matter of 4 months, anything is possible with Hastings and Stove. We've got a great medical staff. I know ACLs are a different animal, but it is straight up amazing to me the progress that guy has made

Archived