2019 4* WR John Dunmore (Penn St)

ellitor

6 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Heck if we could get 'em I think I'd take 'em both Mikey. We've had highly rated, can't miss, duos going into the season before (Duke Williams, Kyle Davis, NCM) just to watch the tandem disintegrate. Discipline, attitude and injuries have taken their toll and only NCM stuck out of those 3.

I'm basing my "one or the other" opinion with regard to Dunmore and Curry on overall numbers. There are still slots to fill at many other positions. If all those we have committed stick plus one of the above WR guys, we'll have only 12 slots left and that's if we sign the full 25, which coaches have said they don't want to do.

Right now we have 0 RB commits, 1 LB, 1 CB, 0 Buck, and only 2 OL and 2 DL. That's a lot of filling to do with 12 or fewer slots.

I could be wrong but I don't see us taking a 4th WR in this class unless we already have three committed and then Haselwood decides to flip.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I could be wrong but I don't see us taking a 4th WR in this class unless we already have three committed and then Haselwood decides to flip

That would be a great “dilemma” to have. ??

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Heck if we could get 'em I think I'd take 'em both Mikey. We've had highly rated, can't miss, duos going into the season before (Duke Williams, Kyle Davis, NCM) just to watch the tandem disintegrate. Discipline, attitude and injuries have taken their toll and only NCM stuck out of those 3.

Given needs at other positions & only likely able to take 24 overall for 2019 ...What Mikey said again.

Any CBs to Auburn? Havent heard anything of him before yesterday and he’s already committing next week? 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Any CBs to Auburn? Havent heard anything of him before yesterday and he’s already committing next week? 

I believe he visited Auburn this past weekend and that is a really good sign...

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

1. No picks for Auburn yet.  Keith says he’s going to do some more digging before doing anything like that.  2. It may be better if he doesn’t commit next week and hold off making a commitment till he comes back for the cookout in late July since this was his first visit in Auburn.

29 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I believe he visited Auburn this past weekend and that is a really good sign...

With due respect, one visit doesn’t make it a really good sign. He had already planned to commit next week before his official visit to Auburn.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm basing my "one or the other" opinion with regard to Dunmore and Curry on overall numbers. There are still slots to fill at many other positions. If all those we have committed stick plus one of the above WR guys, we'll have only 12 slots left and that's if we sign the full 25, which coaches have said they don't want to do.

Right now we have 0 RB commits, 1 LB, 1 CB, 0 Buck, and only 2 OL and 2 DL. That's a lot of filling to do with 12 or fewer slots.

I could be wrong but I don't see us taking a 4th WR in this class unless we already have three committed and then Haselwood decides to flip.

Oh yes,  I knew that Mikey and I hear you. But the guys in this particular scenario aren't just mediocre talent. That's why I said I would take those 2 primo WRs and work the roster if I had to. I mean if 2 primo 5* OTs walked in the front door and wanted to commit I am taking them or 2 elite players at almost any position for that matter. Premier talent makes championship coaches look like geniuses so to speak.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, lionheartkc said:

Are we to take it that Momma Worm is friends with Momma Dunmore?

I just knew you were gonna be one of our best recruiters.

Yes we are cool beans lol 

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* WR John Dunmore

Elite Florida WR close to committing — to Auburn?

John Dunmore’s first visit to Auburn made an unexpected impression.

The nation’s No. 107 overall prospect took his official visit to the Plains over the weekend. He didn’t know what to expect — outside of what former Chaminade-Madonna (Fla.) teammate Shaun Shivers had told him. Dunmore was pleasantly surprised by the environment and what he saw from the Auburn program.

“I was impressed. Before I got up here, I thought it would be all country, but I came up and gave them a chance and was impressed,” Dunmore said. “[Shivers] told me to come up and see for myself. He was like me. He thought the same way I thought, that Auburn would be country, but it’s nice.”

Auburn’s wide receiver board has started to take interesting shape.

The Tigers originally planned to take two wide receivers in the class. They’ve had George Pickens since last summer, but decided to add rising in-state star Ja’Varrius Johnson after a summer camp. That rose the expected “take” number to three.

After Jalen Curry’s official visit, he looked to be a likely candidate for that spot. Dunmore’s visit and follow-up comments add even more intrigue.

He plans to make a decision in the next week, probably while he’s at The Opening in Frisco, Texas.

“Right now, Penn State and Auburn are really up there,” Dunmore said. “Kodi Burns, we have been talking and building a relationship for two years. And Coach [Larry] Porter, I can trust him. The coaches here can develop me. I also am cool with the players here, so it could be a good fit.”

Dunmore mentioned Pickens and Owen Pappoe as guys he would like to play with. He went even further and described Auburn quarterback commit Bo Nix as “the key” because of his status as one of the nation’s top quarterbacks.

Prior to Auburn, Dunmore had taken official visits to Penn State and Michigan. Penn State has the best chance of fighting off Dunmore for Auburn.

This is a late surprising move in Dunmore’s recruitment, but from speaking with multiple sources since Dunmore’s departure, the growing belief is that Dunmore will join Auburn’s class within the next week or so.

16 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes this is the thing that comes with it..Attitudes. Duke was my favorite WR to come through here but we all know what happened. Pickens is great but his attitude on the field is very boastful. I'm fine with that as long he stays smart and doesn't get into it with other players and does dumb stuff off the field.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Yes this is the thing that comes with it..Attitudes. Duke was my favorite WR to come through here but we all know what happened. Pickens is great but his attitude on the field is very boastful. I'm fine with that as long he stays smart and doesn't get into it with other players and does dumb stuff off the field.

FWIW I haven't heard any off field issues w/ GP like we did long before we took Duke. CDC had to petition Gus hard to take & later keep Duke as long as we did.

Also, Duke wasn't particularly demonstrative on the field IIRC. There's no meaningful correlation. 

I love the idea of getting some swag on offense. Love it. I think Pickens is only one of the guys that is bringing some needed attitude on that side of the ball. It's going to make us better. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, Duke wasn't particularly demonstrative on the field IIRC. There's no meaningful correlation. 

I love the idea of getting some swag on offense. Love it. I think Pickens is only one of the guys that is bringing some needed attitude on that side of the ball. It's going to make us better. 

All of this!

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Elite Florida WR close to committing — to Auburn?

I realize this is all moving pretty fast and you only posted this last night, but it seems there was a day not so long ago when an almost-top-100 WR being ready to commit would cause a little more noise. 

Pickens, Johnson and Dunmore (or Curry) would make for a very exciting, complete class with a diverse skill set. If we were to add Haselwood, then we're right back to "best class ever" talk just 3 years after that NCM/Stove/McClain/KD class (with an obvious opportunity to improve upon that group's overall production, given how things went down with KD). 

I'm still wanting to see a lot more diversity in how we use our WRs and we need to see a guy like NCM thrown a lot more balls, but I'm still excited to see this consistent, high level of recruiting. 

Feels like we are going little overboard on the WR class if we take 4. 4 isn’t a huge number and if we strike out on other positions then the number is okay. There are huge needs elsewhere that need to be addressed. We need more than 2 LBs. We need at least a handful of OL and DL each as well. 

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Feels like we are going little overboard on the WR class if we take 4. 4 isn’t a huge number and if we strike out on other positions then the number is okay. There are huge needs elsewhere that need to be addressed. We need more than 2 LBs. We need at least a handful of OL and DL each as well. 

And unless we have a dramatic shift in offensive philosophy it makes little sense to take large wr classes in back to back years.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

There's room for a 4th WR if Haselwood wants in. & I don't think it's overboard as much as just Good WRs in this class want in because they see how good Bo is as a passing QB & they want in. Not a bad idea to strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

We are taking 3 LBs & 4-5 OL & DL each.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

And unless we have a dramatic shift in offensive philosophy it makes little sense to take large wr classes in back to back years.

I don't think it was their plan. I think the Bo Nix factor has made them look at taking an extra WR or 2 than they had planned.

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm still wanting to see a lot more diversity

That can be a dirty word to Gus at times with his O.

I hope we take 3 at WR.  It's almost always a mistake to over recruit one position, because it will come at the expense of another.  I agree they will take Haselwood no matter what, but I have to think they don't like their chances since they keep recruiting elsewhere.   It's a good problem to have, but at the end of the day, the offensive and defensive line win games.  We need more of them.  And it's much easier to get freshman contributors at CB, WR & RB than offensive and defensive line.  If your pipeline of talent there runs dry, it is almost impossible to fix.

46 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I hope we take 3 at WR.  It's almost always a mistake to over recruit one position, because it will come at the expense of another.  I agree they will take Haselwood no matter what, but I have to think they don't like their chances since they keep recruiting elsewhere.   It's a good problem to have, but at the end of the day, the offensive and defensive line win games.  We need more of them.  And it's much easier to get freshman contributors at CB, WR & RB than offensive and defensive line.  If your pipeline of talent there runs dry, it is almost impossible to fix.

Some might argue that it's just as easy to pull in experienced transfers on the offensive and defensive lines. 

Also, if we took 4 WRs and maxed out every other "want number" here (minus "ATH", which I've seen no indication we plan to take), that would be 27 guys. We can get away with 1 RB and 1 Buck (might be the plan anyway), or 2 guards, or 2 CBs... which would get us down to 25. The coaches might've previously said that they only want to take however many guys, but things change. Like a J. Johnson going bonkers at a camp and blowing away all the more highly rated guys. 

I mean, it's not ideal to take 4 WRs when you have needs elsewhere, but it's also not ideal to take anything less than quality at other spots instead of the kind of talent we're looking at at WR. Pickens, Haselwood and Dunmore/Curry are elite. I'm not going to try to tell anyone that Johnson is elite, but I do believe him to be. His scouting report makes him sound like Ryan Davis with some Steve Smith Sr. mixed in. If remotely accurate, that's a guy who would have been a top-3 WR in the SEC last year. Our OL prospects, unfortunately, don't seem to be as promising. We'll get 4 guys and they'll be good, but are we going to take a 5th guy who is a "project" or a "depth guy" instead of a top-100 WR? I personally wouldn't be in favor of it. I'd be much more in favor of testing the transfer market for OLs next year. We've done well with that and we're not desperate for 1st-year starters in this class. 

Anyway, it doesn't feel to me like we're out there looking for WRs, or avoiding OLs/DLs. It's just how things are shaking out in this cycle. Maybe the staff feels better about 2020. I dunno.

We already have “an ATH” commitment don’t we in JSheffield” and are also looking at another. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Some might argue that it's just as easy to pull in experienced transfers on the offensive and defensive lines. 

Yes, but those transfers are normally borderline talent or guys that didn't work out at their first school. I see a transfer as a band aid, not as part of as long-term solution.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

We already have “an ATH” commitment don’t we in JSheffield” and are also looking at another. 

Sheffield might end up elsewhere but he is considered a safety for the needs of this class.

Who's the other? Mark-Antony Richards? We're looking at him as a running back. Again, he might end up elsewhere, but he is being offered as a running back. 

As far as I know, we're not offering anyone without having a pretty good idea of where he'll play. Could be wrong. 

Archived