2019 Baseball Recruiting Thread

Here's an early look at the 2019 recruiting class. The class is currently ranked 18th by Perfect Game, but there are only two teams ranked ahead of us with fewer commitments. By average player score, we are 13th. We might add 1-2 over the summer and fall, and I'm sure there will be a JUCO or two added by the time these guys enroll next fall.

Edit: Added an updated list of players that Auburn has announced as signed with the program. Not on this list is Johnny Ceccoli. He was originally a 2020 recruit who reclassified to the 2019 class. He's a 1B from Texas. That makes 16 in this class, not including an JUCOs we might add (although I doubt we do given the numbers).

Nat Rank Name Drafted/Signed Pos Ht Wt B T High School Hometown St
28 Gunnar Henderson   SS 6-3 195 L R John T Morgan Academy Selma AL
31 Hayden Mullins   LHP 6-0 190 L L Hendersonville Gallatin TN
104 Nathaniel LaRue   C 6-3 203 R R Mcgill-Toolen Catholic Mobile AL
142 Mason Barnett   RHP 6-1 205 R R Cartersville White GA
152 Travis Odom   SS 6-2 185 R R Christ Presbyterian Academy Franklin TN
168 Ramsey David   RHP 6-3 180 R R Buford Dacula GA
216 Ryan Dyal   C 5-11 190 L R East Coweta Senoia GA
454 Mason Greer   2B 6-1 185 S R Colleyville Heritage Colleyville TX
458 Trace Bright   RHP 6-4 195 R R Trinity Presbyterian Sch Inc Montgomery AL
466 David Ducote   SS 6-1 185 R R John T Morgan Academy Selma AL
468 Blake Burkhalter   RHP 6-0 180 R R Northview Dothan AL
500 Landon Cato   3B 6-3 215 R R Oak Mountain Birmingham AL
500 Brayton Brown   SS 5-10 178 R R John T Morgan Academy Selma AL
500 Austin Turner   OF 5-11 170 L L Buford Buford GA
500 Sebastian Thomas   RHP 6-5 240 R R Marist Brookhaven GA

14 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Not a bad list.  I would like to see another LHP on there.  But with on 11.7 schollys we won't see it. 

Never hurts to have several, but we added 5 or 6 in this 2018 class. Probably looking to balance it out a bit.

Nice to see some more heft coming in.....some good sized young men who probably are not through growing and might end up as  tall and heavy as the stats  on the list posted above show them to be.....  

Game seems to be in a bit of a transition again since the more lively bat/ball combination has made the HR more of a factor …..and small ball is not as popular, especially with some folks on this forum.  

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

…..and small ball is not as popular, especially with some folks on this forum.  

I've noticed, as this NCAA tournament progresses and the weaker teams go away, the sacrifice attempts are also going away. Think there might be some connection there? For instance, in tonight's game there were two very good teams playing and I saw zero sacrifice attempts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This class's signing day is coming up on November 14th. The class is currently ranked 10th by Perfect Game and has 3 PG Top 100 commits. Hayden Mullins has made the biggest jump. He’s currently their #25 overall prospect for the 2019 HS class. Nate LaRue is also now in the top 100 along with Gunnar Henderson. This is a really strong signing class, and if we can get the top 4-5 guys in this class to campus next fall, we’re going to be really happy about that IMO.  

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Always want a good class but not toooooooooo good and lose em to the mlb 

seems we’ve bucked that trend a little the last few years?

Yeah, Butch has done a fantastic job of signing highly ranked classes while also getting the top end of the class on campus, especially highly ranked HS players. The only players that I can remember the last 2-3 years that we’re highly touted commits that didn’t get to campus we’re both JUCO guys who were top 3 round picks the last two years (Blake Rivera this year and LHP Evan “Something” last year). Guys like Davis Daniel, Tanner Burns, and Garrett Wade have all passed on good money to come play for him. That’s a big deal. 

... and it’s paying off for a lot of them.  Not to mention the college experience and education.  Someone like Greg Olson can’t “finish “ his degree at auburn  if he didn’t start it there.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:50 PM, boomstick said:

Yeah, Butch has done a fantastic job of signing highly ranked classes while also getting the top end of the class on campus, especially highly ranked HS players. The only players that I can remember the last 2-3 years that we’re highly touted commits that didn’t get to campus we’re both JUCO guys who were top 3 round picks the last two years (Blake Rivera this year and LHP Evan “Something” last year). Guys like Davis Daniel, Tanner Burns, and Garrett Wade have all passed on good money to come play for him. That’s a big deal. 

Was Alex Speas a Butch recruit? And Ricky De La Torre(6th round Twins pick in 2017) is the only other high school guy I can think of that Butch has lost to the draft since he's been here.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:50 PM, boomstick said:

Also, Josh Anthony was supposed to sign with the Braves, but then the Braves ran out of money to sign him, so he came here. He was supposed to be another top JUCO guy Butch was supposed to lose. I'm glad we got Josh, but I wish things turned out differently for him at least collegiately. He had a 6 figure draft bonus ready to sign, only to get it taken away from him as well. Just wished he had an opportunity in the pros.

Archived