2019 Baseball Recruiting Thread

On 11/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, warbiscuit said:

Also, Josh Anthony was supposed to sign with the Braves, but then the Braves ran out of money to sign him, so he came here. He was supposed to be another top JUCO guy Butch was supposed to lose. I'm glad we got Josh, but I wish things turned out differently for him at least collegiately. He had a 6 figure draft bonus ready to sign, only to get it taken away from him as well. Just wished he had an opportunity in the pros.

Josh was the hardest working kid I have ever seen. His game improved a lot under CBT.  I wonder what he's doing now?

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Josh was the hardest working kid I have ever seen. His game improved a lot under CBT.  I wonder what he's doing now?

He is working with the crew in Auburn that sets up tailgate tents across camps. Apparently he played for an indy league team after the college season, but got released. On a worse note, he got arrested this month in Opelika for marijuana possession. I just hope all is well for him.

18 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

He is working with the crew in Auburn that sets up tailgate tents across camps. Apparently he played for an indy league team after the college season, but got released. On a worse note, he got arrested this month in Opelika for marijuana possession. I just hope all is well for him.

I do too. 

• 5 months later...

Just looked at the Perfect Game College Team recruiting rankings, and we’re ranked 12th for the 2019 class. Won’t be finalized until August-September when everyone gets on campus, but it’s a very good signing class right now. 

6 hours ago, boomstick said:

Just looked at the Perfect Game College Team recruiting rankings, and we’re ranked 12th for the 2019 class. Won’t be finalized until August-September when everyone gets on campus, but it’s a very good signing class right now. 

Nonemaker is the unsung hero of Butch's staff currently.

The OP list of signees looks good. One thing is for sure; if they can hit, they will have a chance to play early. 

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The OP list of signees looks good. One thing is for sure; if they can hit, they will have a chance to play early. 

Yeah, I need to update that list. We’ve added several more guys and a few of the rankings have changed. Henderson and Mullins are both top 35 HS prospects and LaRue is just outside the top 100. 

As an aside, Vandy is doing absurd things in baseball recruiting (like usual). They have 9 top 100 guys in this class currently. Just WOW! It won’t hurt my feelings at all when they roll of the SEC schedule for a few years. 

OP has been edited to reflect the more current player rankings and the full class. We signed 15 2019 recruits and then added a 2020 recruit who reclassified to this class. 

Something to keep an eye on going forward is or roster numbers. You are limited to 35 players on a roster. We currently have 34 players who are able to return next year ( 14 Freshmen, 9 Sophomores, 11 Juniors). With 16 players coming in, that puts the roster number at 50, meaning we have to trim down 15 players from the current roster plus incoming recruits. Now, a few of the players are draft eligible, and I expect them to leave. Will Holland, Davis Daniel, Edouard Julien, Rankin Woley, and Conor Davis are guys I expect to leave for the draft. These juniors and sophomores are also eligible to leave for the draft, but I don't know how many of them will go: Judd Ward, Jack Owen, Everett Lau, Matt Scheffler, Jackson Henderson, Chase Hall, Bailey Horn, Elliott Anderson, Ryan Watson, and Kyle Gray. Also, two guys who have dealt with injuries and might not be with the team now are Ford Luttrell and Ryan Hoerter.  

My guess is some of the freshmen who came in and haven't seen any time and some Sophomores who haven't played much will be looking to transfer after the season. Guys like Warner, Eaton, Ed Johnson, Moore, Sweatt, Bearden, Luttrell, Hoerter, Horn, Gray, Henderson, and Hall. 

Regardless, our roster next year will look quite different from a depth perspective IMO. We're probably going to be pretty young again, but our core group of starters and reliable pitchers will be back. We will likely return all three OF, C, and 2B. Probably will be replacing SS, 3B, 1B, and DH. We should return all three starting pitchers (Burns, Owen, Fuller) plus Greenhill, Wade, Skipper, Fitts, and Morrison. That's a pretty solid group of experienced Juniors and Sophomores.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Will Holland, Davis Daniel, Edouard Julien, Rankin Woley, and Conor Davis are guys I expect to leave for the draft. These juniors and sophomores are also eligible to leave for the draft, but I don't know how many of them will go: Judd Ward, Jack Owen, Everett Lau, Matt Scheffler, Jackson Henderson, Chase Hall, Bailey Horn, Elliott Anderson, Ryan Watson, and Kyle Gray.

@boomstick Clarification please. I thought a player had to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible for the draft. In that scenario, a player would need to have completed their junior year of redshirt sophomore year. I thought Julien and Ward were true sophomores this year, and would not be eligible for the draft. Is that correct?

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

@boomstick Clarification please. I thought a player had to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible for the draft. In that scenario, a player would need to have completed their junior year of redshirt sophomore year. I thought Julien and Ward were true sophomores this year, and would not be eligible for the draft. Is that correct?

You have to be a third year guy in college or 21. Ward and Owen will both be 21 before the draft (like Davis Daniel was last year), which makes them both draft eligible Sophomores. Julien had a year of secondary school after his last year of high school, which is considered the equivalent of JUCO. So that makes him eligible as a 19 year old. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

Archived