Jogger accidentally crosses U.S. border from British Columbia., gets detained for 2 weeks

TitanTiger

Our immigration and border patrol people are starting to be inflicted with the same disease public school administrators are.  I don't have a name for it, but it apparently kills the part of the brain that controls common sense.

Cedella Roman says she was jogging along the beach in White Rock, B.C., when she crossed the U.S. border without realizing it. That began a two-week nightmare that landed her in a prison jumpsuit.

Roman, 19, was jogging south on a cool spring evening May 21. As the tide came in, she veered up and onto a dirt path before stopping to take a photo of the picturesque setting.

She turned around to head home — and that's when she was apprehended by two U.S. border patrol officers.

"An officer stopped me and started telling me I had crossed the border illegally," she told CBC News.

"I told him I had not done it on purpose, and that I didn't understand what was happening."

"I said to myself, well I may have crossed the border — but they'll probably only give me a fine or they'll tell me to go back to Canada or they'll give me a warning."

Roman, a citizen of France who had travelled to Canada to visit her mother in B.C. and work on her English, didn't have any government-issued ID or travel permits on her.

She said the officers then detained her for crossing illegally into Blaine, Wash., then transferred her more than 200 kilometres south to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Centre — a facility run by the Department of Homeland Security.

Her mother lives in North Delta, B.C...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jogger-accidentally-crosses-u-s-border-from-b-c-gets-detained-for-2-weeks-by-authorities-1.4717060

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I suspect there is more to this story than the article  indicates. If not, bad judgement.

You get on that.  I eagerly await the results of your investigation.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

You get on that.  I eagerly await the results of your investigation.

How many smart ass pills did you take today.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

How many smart ass pills did you take today.

Don't need 'em.  I was born this way.  I think it might be an orientation thing.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Don't need 'em.  I was born this way.  I think it might be an orientation thing.

To bad no one ever tried to tame your ego.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

To bad no one ever tried to tame your ego.

Just because I'm smarter than you doesn't mean I have an ego problem.

If you listen to the media they swear that the U.S. is only concerned with the southern border and is neglecting the northern border but now this story is put out and shows that you can be detained crossing the northern border as well.

I definitely agree with the mother in this story that says there needs to be a sign indicating where the borderline is so you don't cross it illegally. Detaining her daughter for 2 weeks is ridiculous. This shouldn't have been drawn out for more than a day once her mother brought her paperwork showing them that she could go back to Canada.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:33 PM, TitanTiger said:

Just because I'm smarter than you doesn't mean I have an ego problem.

Oh yeah well I’m smarter and look better than everyone. So there’s that. 

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Just wait. Age will hit you just like it does everyone else. Marriage and children have made me a fat 32 year old curmudgeon. 

10 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Debatable.

This is something. I mean there is only one west coast beach borderline between these two friendly ( pre trump friendly) countries. Shouldn’t it be absolutely, clearly, unmistakably marked? 

A coworker’s daughter went to Alaska for summer for some college project or job with two friends. The boy about 20 years old had a little pocket knife maybe a very small Swiss army type knife under the seat of his car that he didn’t realize it had fell under there. He hadn’t seen it in months. They were held for hours over that by Canada authorities. 

19 hours ago, alexava said:

A coworker’s daughter went to Alaska for summer for some college project or job with two friends. The boy about 20 years old had a little pocket knife maybe a very small Swiss army type knife under the seat of his car that he didn’t realize it had fell under there. He hadn’t seen it in months. They were held for hours over that by Canada authorities. 

Had they held her for a few hours until her mom got there with her passport and such, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  She was taken and transported 125 miles away and locked up for 2 weeks.  These situations really aren't analogous.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Don’t criticize the President. ;)

Was thinking of you and a couple others on here when I posted that...as a reminder to myself....but you are correct, the Pres would be well served if he followed that advice too. 

Charles Schulz saw life pretty well..>RIP

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Had they held her for a few hours until her mom got there with her passport and such, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  She was taken and transported 125 miles away and locked up for 2 weeks.  These situations really aren't analogous.

I didn't mean they were. Just that a 2 1/2" Swiss Army knife gets three 20 year old, scared kids held and questioned like international arms traffickers. They ain't playing up there. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I didn't mean they were. Just that a 2 1/2" Swiss Army knife gets three 20 year old, scared kids held and questioned like international arms traffickers. They ain't playing up there. 

My bad.  I misunderstood.

22 hours ago, alexava said:

They were very lenient about the tactical clip knife I was carrying.  As long as the blade length didn't exceed the width of their palm.  My Spyderco Native blade is just barely short of 3" and they had no problem with it.

Archived