Null

Sign in to follow this  
slot canyon

2019 softball recruiting thread

Looked at Extra Inning softball verbal database published April 17 , 2018 (free).   I focused on 2019 players who should sign this year.  Not totally up to date because they had Macy Simmons listed (a highly regarded catcher/hitter) who changed to ASU earlier this spring.  Other players include: Jaylin Calvert, outfielder, Beverly Bandits. Maddie Majors, OF, Thunderbolts, Carlee McCondichie, MIF/OF, Thunderbolts. Kelley Lynche, RHP, East Cobb Bullets (Georgia) .  Madison Koepke, MIF, also East Cobb Bullets.

Currently this list shows 5 players  and we would have 5 seniors, four of whom have played a lot and likely starters next year.  I am hoping Tissier and/or one of the gals in this years signed class can shore up the catcher position.  I will add that when I attended a couple of practices that Abby Tissier was very attentive at practice and seemed to "eat up" any instruction/comments that Courtney Shea provided.  Appeared very eager to learn.

The Extra Innings Softball site list goes through 2022 I believe.  

• Thanks 2

Maybe he has some transfer pitchers in mind.  Without the transfer restrictions, a couple of those will be nice, especially if we get a girl who will be a sophomore next year. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

No pitchers ?

Kelly Lynche is a pitcher, as noted.  Thanks to Slot for bringing this topic to light.

18 hours ago, around4ever said:

With Bilodeau leaving we are in desperate need of pitchers. 

Was she going to be a factor? .    Seems that once we got beyond the two aces, we were short of talent in that position anyway....hope there are some surprises out there waiting for us. 

Jenna Olszewski is transferring to UAB.  She is the 4th player to leave since Coach Dean took over.  I sure hope we're out doing some serious recruiting to fill needs.  When this new staff originally took over I was very optimistic.  After watching things unfold over the past 10 months I have huge concerns about the direction of the program.

• Like 4

Very sorry to see Olszewski leave, as she was one of my favorite prospects.  Here is the link to the UAB announcement:  https://uabsports.com/news/2018/7/11/softball-uab-adds-jenna-olszewski-to-roster.aspx

I share jimpecht's concerns.  Was hoping to see some big bats transfer in; instead, one I had high hopes for goes the other way.

29 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Very sorry to see Olszewski leave, as she was one of my favorite prospects.  Here is the link to the UAB announcement:  https://uabsports.com/news/2018/7/11/softball-uab-adds-jenna-olszewski-to-roster.aspx

I share jimpecht's concerns.  Was hoping to see some big bats transfer in; instead, one I had high hopes for goes the other way.

The fact that she is transferring to UAB and not to a SEC power says something.  I was really expecting to see some transfers in already too,  but I also expected to see some  attrition.

Greenwood will be back this year and I think one of KK or Casey moves to the outfield to see some starts.

• Like 1

Transferring within the conference is one of those things that isn't done.  I guess you could do it by sitting out a year, but I don't know of anyone that has. Correction:  Just remembered that Amanda Sanchez transferred from Missouri to LSU.  I think only graduate transfers can do this. Greenwood showed some promise with the bat in 2017, so maybe she will be a pleasant surprise.  I see McCrackin entrenched at second.  Assuming Podany moves to center, left would be between Greenwood and Crocker, with Moseley an unknown in the mix.    

Edited by OlderWhiskey
To add correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Greenwood showed some promise with the bat in 2017, so maybe she will be a pleasant surprise.  I see McCrackin entrenched at second.  Assuming Podany moves to center, left would be between Greenwood and Crocker, with Moseley an unknown in the mix.    

With Moseley coming off surgery, let's hope Greenwood or Crocker is ready for fall.

9 hours ago, 4WDE said:

With Moseley coming off surgery, let's hope Greenwood or Crocker is ready for fall.

Good point 4WDE.  Also let's hope Greenwood comes off her shoulder surgery in good form, having to sit last year during recovery.  I feel it will be important to keep Crocker "infield ready" as we seem to only have 4 middle infielders.  

Taylon Snow - SS

Dowell - 2nd, SS & 3rd

KK Crocker - 2nd, LF

McCrackin - 2nd, SS (I believe she has played 3rd sparingly)

At this point, if McCrackin got injured then Crocker might replace her leaving Snow and Dowell in place.  If Crocker in outfield things might get interesting.  

Now if Tannon Snow were able to increase her participation and play one of the corner infield positions that would free up Dowell (who has played well in my opinion)

Another moving part would be wheat happens at the catcher position.  Will Veach take over, Tissier, a freshman???Will Perry settle in at 1st and free up Veach for 3rd or catcher.  Looking forward to some fall ball to get a hint about where some of these players stand position wise.  

Maybe we will have some players transfer in who might help with some of the depth rotation issues.  Also, should not overlook Maresette and Fornis, since both could compete for playing time in the outfield.

Edited by slot canyon
addition
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 4WDE said:

I was not aware of Moseley’s surgery but Aspyn Godwin a catcher,  is recovering from ACL surgery and will have a chance to play if she has recovered by fall.  

The newly styled roster indicates we are down to 18 players now, plus the three coming in this fall.  This is closer to where most teams operate, I think, but I recall Myers having up to 30,and always at least 25.  The coaching staff page now only lists Dean, Smith, Ketelhut, and Megan Reynolds (DOO).  I think the volunteer position Carosone had only lasts for a year.  ??  She is playing with the Bandits this summer.  Also, I don't seem to be able to access Twitter. 

Whiskey, the 5/17/18 news article on the AU Athletic site indicated that Emily would be there for 2 years to include 2019 as volunteer assistant.  I had forgotten what a good article that was about her coaching aspirations and her love of softball.  She says she considers herself a player with average skills.  If that is true I would like to have a team full of players with her level of "average skills" not to mention her infectious smile.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reference to that article, it was worth reading again.  Also made me feel better about Dean.  I guess the PTB just decided to limit the number of staff members listed on the "Coaches" page. 

Will Carosone still be able to be a volunteer coach? I thought those were done away with recent rule changes, but now have another paid coach at their disposal. Maybe she can be paid now. 

On a side note, USA softball on ESPNU.  Cooper starting at 3rd, former Lsu catcher Parrish behind the plate. Rickets is pitching. Evidently this is a replay as they moved ahead a batter due to time constraints. 

51 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Will Carosone still be able to be a volunteer coach? I thought those were done away with recent rule changes, but now have another paid coach at their disposal. Maybe she can be paid now. 

On a side note, USA softball on ESPNU.  Cooper starting at 3rd, former Lsu catcher Parrish behind the plate. Rickets is pitching. Evidently this is a replay as they moved ahead a batter due to time constraints. 

It is a replay.  They played the game yesterday.

USA Red won the tournament - Coop was DP - appears to be having hitting problems again.    Carosone may be able to get picked up as an assistant now.  I believe AUBwins is correct - volunteer coaches are no longer an option.

• Like 1