2019 softball recruiting thread

19 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

All info indicates she is an Auburn commit.  Her Dad went to vet school at Auburn.  I think that one article was just a slipup.

thanks whiskey

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2018 at 2:51 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

This really bears on 2020, I think.  The Birmingham Thunderbolts just won the 16U natty, led by a pitcher named Shelby Lowe.  The article linked below calls her an Alabama commit, but an article on the same page yesterday called her an Auburn commit, and posters on Ultimate College Softball all confirm she's an Auburn commit. There is also another Auburn commit on the team. https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6237189-birmingham-thunderbolts-dorsett-win-pgf-16u-premier-championship

Also John Hudson's daughter( Center for Reggie Slack, late 80's) on that team.  She's a hard hitting starting catcher, headed to Liberty.  Surprised she was not looked at more closely.  

Softball recruiting cycle runs incredibly early.  They make commitments as 9th and 10th graders.  Seems a lot can happen in three or four years after a commitment.

thanks for the info on Ms. Hudson.  The NCAA changed the rules last year (or was it earlier this year?), and now the coaches cannot contact the student-athlete prior to Sept. 1 of her junior year in HS.  We'll see if this reverses the trend toward 14-year old commits.

• 2 months later...

Came across interesting article on Jaylin Calvert in the 2019 class and AU commit. www.greenfieldreporter.com/2018/01/09/calvert_softball_auburn.  She is from Indiana but plays travel ball with Beverly Bandits, a highly regarded travel team, out of Chicago.  I noticed other members of her 18U Premier team (2019 & 2020 graduates) have committed to a number of high profile programs...Notre Dame, Oregon, Michigan, Washington, and Tennessee to name a few.  Currently, we have commitments from players in the 2019, 20220 and 2021 graduating class who play for the Bandits.  I believe this indicates a wider recruiting area regarding the north east where I suspect our staff has some connections.  We may have lost our connections with the Pacific coast and southwest area, but there are good players throughout the country and it seems many want to compete in the SEC.   

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

I believe this indicates a wider recruiting area regarding the north east where I suspect our staff has some connections. 

Don't forget CEK won a PGF and TC championship w/ the Beverly Bandits.

2 hours ago, 4WDE said:

Don't forget CEK won a PGF and TC championship w/ the Beverly Bandits.

I remember reading about that amazing series in the PGF championship and went back to re-read the account.  For those not familiar...….his team (coach Kettlehut) lost an early bracket game and had to win 10 straight games to claim the championship.  Quite a feat.  Did not hurt that his pitcher was Montana Fouts (Alabama) who apparently was a phenom in the circle.

I noticed Kelley Lynch no longer lists that she is an Auburn commit on her twitter page. I know she was a Myers commit and people were saying she’s being recruited big time by other schools. Has anyone heard anything?

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, AUProud said:

I noticed Kelley Lynch no longer lists that she is an Auburn commit on her twitter page. I know she was a Myers commit and people were saying she’s being recruited big time by other schools. Has anyone heard anything?

Clearly not a good sign.  We will know for sure in about 3 weeks when players sign their NLI.  I believe signing day is November 14.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 6:23 AM, slot canyon said:

Clearly not a good sign.  We will know for sure in about 3 weeks when players sign their NLI.  I believe signing day is November 14.

I think she is now considering Washington, Georgia, FSU, UF and us.

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I think she is now considering Washington, Georgia, FSU, UF and us.

There is an article about her on the Extra Inning softball site from Oct. 28.  She was selected #1 of their "elite 100".  No mention about recruiting or where she plans to attend college where as she had been a commit to AU but as AUProud noted above, any reference to Auburn was removed from her Twitter page.   I know I had read of visits to Washington and UF and would be natural for Georgia to be in the mix. She will be a great addition for some soon to be determined team.    

• 2 weeks later...

I think her parents are Tech people, and she is thus not interested in UGA.  I expect to see her go to UF, FSU, or Washington.  Signing day is Wednesday, I think.

I notice that Alyssa Pinto, who formerly played for the Beverly Bandits, is leaving Oregon, where she would have been a first-year player next year.  We might have a shot at her with our Bandits connection.  She was supposedly ranked #104 as a HS/Travel Ball player.  Five players have now left Oregon since Lombardi took over there, including their best pitcher and catcher.  Their roster is down to 14 going into signing day (tomorrow).

Maia Engelkes

Give a loud to Maia Engelkes, who is our first signee of this year's recruiting class! Engelkes, an infielder, comes to The Plains all the way from Sioux Falls, S.D! Welcome Maia! 🐯

Carlee McCondichie

The last time she was a freshman: - She led the state with 105 hits in a season. - Had a .525 batting average. - Struck out only four times in over 200 at-bats. Simply? She "handles the bat exceptionally well." Let's give a big to Carlee! 🐅

Maddie Majors

From All-State to Super All-State. From a Jaguar to a Tiger. From a mother who is an graduate. She's no stranger to saying ! Welcome, Maddie! 🦅

KK Dismukes

Her name is Kaylyn, but she goes by KK. (And we have a feeling she'll be striking out plenty of batters once arriving to The Plains! 😉) Everyone say to KK Dismukes! 

Still looking for Jaylin Calvert (OF) and Madison Koepke (middle infield).  Both were on a list from earlier this year.  Madison played on same travel team as Kelley Lynch but I have not heard any change in her commitment.  

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Lynch signed with Washington as you may have read.

Yes I was aware about Lynch and I had just wondered if it would have any effect on Madison Koepke since they were on the same travel team.  I was not aware of the pitcher Dismukes from the Wetumpka area nor infielder  Engelkes from South Dakota but apparently they both committed about 1 year ago.

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Still looking for Jaylin Calvert (OF) and Madison Koepke (middle infield).  Both were on a list from earlier this year.  Madison played on same travel team as Kelley Lynch but I have not heard any change in her commitment.  

Jaylin Calvert signing is confirmed per New Castle coach twitter post below:

https://twitter.com/NPCoachRalph/status/1062854508559118341

Great find, except it's actually New Palestine.  Maddison Koepke was still an Auburn commit as of August 2.  Kelley Lynch, who was the #1 national recruit, is the only commit being announced on Twitter by UW.  Wishing her well.  More importantly, welcoming with a big WAR EAGLE! the young ladies who did sign with us.

The following is not intended to represent "crying over spilt milk" but I think it does indicate that there has been "a disturbance in the force".  In mid 2016 one of the ranking services at that time showed that AU had commitments from the #2, #10 and #15 players.  Well, #2 (Lynch) became #1 in a lot of peoples eyes and signed with Washington.  # 10, Macy Simmons, a catcher decommitted some time ago and signed with ASU.  # 15 was Madison Koepke an infielder and we have no word on her to date.  I wonder if Engelkes is intended to take that slot.  McCondichie is also listed as infielder.  I would suspect that the recent turmoil in the program and necessity to make a change in the coaching staff has put the new staff at a temporary disadvantage that may well impact us for several years.  Hopeful that our staff can work a little magic and have the team perform at a high level over this transition period.  They will sure have my support. War Eagle.

Just saw that Flosoftball released their rankings on the 2019 class.  Actually AU was listed #15.  In the SEC teams ranked above AU Tennessee ( #1), Florida, LSU, Kentucky, Texas A&M. The article does not require a subscription so you can go to the site and read.

16 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Great find, except it's actually New Palestine.  Maddison Koepke was still an Auburn commit as of August 2.  Kelley Lynch, who was the #1 national recruit, is the only commit being announced on Twitter by UW.  Wishing her well.  More importantly, welcoming with a big WAR EAGLE! the young ladies who did sign with us.

Koepke signed today

Archived