2019 softball recruiting thread

• 1 month later...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time posting but I feel like it needs to be said. The thing that scares me about the class is how we only have 4 pitchers on the roster at the moment with a couple of important ones leaving soon. Martin’s leaving after this season and Ashlee leaving the year after that. Bringing in only 1 pitcher in this 2019 recruiting cycle is gonna hurt us. Missing on Kelley Lynch no madder who you are is going to hurt but we needed a shutdown pitcher who could just have complete games and give our pitchers rest. Going after the transfer market in the summer is a must because if we have only 4 pitchers on staff next year two small injuries could ruin a whole weekend.

We do have some good pitchers coming down the line in 2020 Maddie Penta (a top 25 player) and 2021 Keri Munn (top 200 player). Just next seasons going to be a lonngg season with only 4 pitchers...again. 

21 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

We do have some good pitchers coming down the line in 2020 Maddie Penta (a top 25 player) and 2021 Keri Munn (top 200 player). Just next seasons going to be a lonngg season with only 4 pitchers...again. 

In addition to Maddie Penta (right handed pitcher) we have Shelby Lowe (left handed pitcher) for the 2020 class.  In 2019 Kaylyn Dismukes is signed.  As noted in original post we may well get someone via the transfer portal or junior college player.  In addition to the "loss" of Lynch there was a highly ranked catcher (Simmons) who went to ASU I believe and in the 2020 class a P/1B, Haley Pittman, it seems switched to Florida.  It would be wonderful to have about 5 great pitchers on staff but like QB's I suspect a lot of these players want to have the opportunity to be the game 1 or game 2 starter during a weekend series.  Lets hope coach can continue to  develop the talent we have now and those committed down the road. As stated above and injury or two at that position can be devastating.

This will be a big summer for the 2021 class and you will see some movement due to the new rules. There has been a discussion about a vote on adjusting the first contact until just after the WCWS instead of Sept 1st which would be a good thing. 

From seeing so many of these kids I can tell you the Top 100 lists and other things should be taken with a grain of salt. There is nowhere near the work put into these rankings as ones for football. I am not taking anything away from any of the girls and they deserve the recognition but there are many that are not represented on the lists that can easily be top recruits. There are more politics than scouting done to create the lists and I would guess the ones compiling the lists have not seen 75% of the players in person or on video. 

There is a very highly ranked 2021 position player coming that stayed committed through the coaching change. She is a top 10 player and is probably the best hitter I have ever seen at this age. She has been a great hitter since she was 8 and has stayed that way but has only gotten stronger and more refined. The future is bright and I can't wait to see the classes from 2020-2022 start signing around the country since these are the girls I have watched for 10 years. 

As to Phoebe Florian, I've attached here a couple of files with some updated stats which seem to be pretty impressive through 12 games of her senior season. Batting .455 and has hit 7 home runs to date. 

Phoebe Florian _ Ardrey Kell HS, Charlotte, NC _ MaxPreps.html Phoebe Florian's (Charlotte, NC) Softball Stats _ MaxPreps.html

• 1 month later...

Holtville's Kaylyn Dismukes distinguished herself as one of the state's best high school softball hitters and pitchers this spring.  Dismukes, an Auburn signee, has also been selected as the Gatorade Alabama Softball Player of the Year. The announcement was made today in a news release, and she's the first Holtville player to win the award.

“Dismukes is a phenomenal athlete in every aspect of the game,” Stanhope Elmore coach Virginia Barber said in the news release.Dismukes, a 5-foot-11 senior right-handed pitcher and first baseman, compiled a 33-7 record with a 1.23 ERA while striking out 316 and issuing only 34 walks as a pitcher. At the plate, she hit .587 with 23 homers and 70 RBIs.

AL.COM 5/30/2019

D75QSpFWsAE_Kkt.png

Thought I would post this photo of Jaylin Calvert a 2019 signee who played for the New Palestine Dragons, one of the top teams in Indiana.  It is from her twitter page.  Also, played travel ball with Beverly Bandits (Chicago).  This year her batting average was .520 with 14 HR.  She bats left and throws right.  Good article  http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/2018/01/09/calvert_softball_auburn/ .  Some notable quotes ….from her travel team coach  “We have coached some of the best defensive players in the country, and she is by far the best outfielder I have ever coached or even seen,” Tyrell said. “She plays the outfield in a way that saves games, saves runs, and saves championships. "  From her mother:  “I always told her, ‘You’re athletic, but hard work will beat you every time,’” Tracy Calvert said. “If you don’t out-work every other kid in this country, they will come and take your spot.’”

From what I can tell we now have something of a "pipeline" for recruits from the Beverly Bandits.  Another signee, Mia Engelkes, is on the rooster this year.  From what I can tell there is a Bandits verbal for 2020 and 2021.  Coach Ketelhut coached there prior to hire at AU.  

I might drop some tidbits about some of our signees from time to time. 

Thanks for posting, I couldn't remember if she was IF or OF.  If she's that good defensively, she can probably step right into the starting lineup.  

On 7/13/2018 at 4:53 PM, slot canyon said:

Whiskey, the 5/17/18 news article on the AU Athletic site indicated that Emily would be there for 2 years to include 2019 as volunteer assistant.  I had forgotten what a good article that was about her coaching aspirations and her love of softball.  She says she considers herself a player with average skills.  If that is true I would like to have a team full of players with her level of "average skills" not to mention her infectious smile.

Just scrolling back through the thread, I found this from almost a year ago.  Does this mean that Carosone is now gone?  I'm not sure exactly what she did, but I liked having her around.

Lindsey Garcia

D7HJeqEXoAI4crN.jpg

Lindsey Garcia plays for Coral Springs Charter the #1 ranked 5A school in the state.  She has been on the varsity since 8th grade.  Plays SS and listed as SS/OF.  Stats this year at plate in 30 games played average .549, 10 HR and 23/23 stolen bases.  Miami Herald awarded her the 5A Female Athlete of the Year and Player of the Year.  

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Lindsey Garcia plays for Coral Springs Charter the #1 ranked 5A school in the state.  She has been on the varsity since 8th grade.  Plays SS and listed as SS/OF.  Stats this year at plate in 30 games played average .549, 10 HR and 23/23 stolen bases.  Miami Herald awarded her the 5A Female Athlete of the Year and Player of the Year.  

When does she sign or has she signed already?

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

When does she sign or has she signed already?

Garcia signed 11/2018 and is part of the class arriving later this year.  Did not mention her travel team Gold Coast Hurricanes.  From what was written on the AU site I take it she camped at AU and impressed the coaches.  

Initially, there were 7 players who signed in Nov. 2018 for this 2019 class. Phoebe Florian, from Andrey Kell HS in Charlotte, NC signed in February 2019 and is our 8th player. She primarily plays SS from what I can tell but is listed as MIF/CF. As someone mentioned on previous post she was injured her junior year. This year .453/8HR/18SB. Does not appear to be a lot of info about her out there in the vapors. She was all-conference in her SoMeck 7 area.

5 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Initially, there were 7 players who signed in Nov. 2018 for this 2019 class. Phoebe Florian, from Andrey Kell HS in Charlotte, NC signed in February 2019 and is our 8th player. She primarily plays SS from what I can tell but is listed as MIF/CF. As someone mentioned on previous post she was injured her junior year. This year .453/8HR/18SB. Does not appear to be a lot of info about her out there in the vapors. She was all-conference in her SoMeck 7 area.

Awesome & thanks @slot canyon! Where do you find such good info?

055_sbsupersal24.jpeg

photo Dennis Victory AL.com

Carlee McCondichie committed in September of 2016 as a HS sophomore.  She is listed as MIF/OF but I believe has played MIF primarily for 6A Gardendale HS.  She bats left  and throws right.  Travel ball with Birmingham Thunderbolts.  Senior BA .494.  Selected 6A 1st team All State infielder and 6A Player of the Year (Alabama Sports Writers Association).  

Recent Al.com All-State Softball Team selection with following copy:   The skinny: Auburn signee posted Birmingham Region best 29 doubles and 11 triples with 88 hits, 74 runs, 61 RBIs, .494 average, .538 on-base, 1.420 OPS, produced 2.2 runs per game.

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

055_sbsupersal24.jpeg

photo Dennis Victory AL.com

Carlee McCondichie committed in September of 2016 as a HS sophomore.  She is listed as MIF/OF but I believe has played MIF primarily for 6A Gardendale HS.  She bats and throws left.  Travel ball with Birmingham Thunderbolts.  Senior BA .494.  Selected 6A 1st team All State infielder and 6A Player of the Year (Alabama Sports Writers Association).  

Recent Al.com All-State Softball Team selection with following copy:   The skinny: Auburn signee posted Birmingham Region best 29 doubles and 11 triples with 88 hits, 74 runs, 61 RBIs, .494 average, .538 on-base, 1.420 OPS, produced 2.2 runs per game.

Throws left?  She won't be MIF in college.  

8 hours ago, around4ever said:

I believe I extracted the L/L info from a chart about the all-state players. It was either incorrect or I made a mistake in my copy.   When I went back and looked at some YouTube stuff she definitely bats left and throws right.  Good catch on your part......thanks.   I corrected the OP.

12 hours ago, around4ever said:

its amazing how many of these girls commit while they are sophomores. Colleges really try to get them early don't they. 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

its amazing how many of these girls commit while they are sophomores. Colleges really try to get them early don't they. 

With due respect no it's not. Many of the young girls thought to be the elites in their age nationally commit in their 7th, 8th, or 9th grade year often times.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

With due respect no it's not. Many of the young girls thought to be the elites in their age nationally commit in their 7th, 8th, or 9th grade year often times.

I have seen that too, so why is softball so different than other sports with kids willing to commit THAT early, when they still haven't even developed their bodies yet in 7th or 8th grade?

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I have seen that too, so why is softball so different than other sports with kids willing to commit THAT early, when they still haven't even developed their bodies yet in 7th or 8th grade?

With travel & their version of AAU ball college coaches are on them earlier than any other sport.

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

There is a new rule in place to prevent girls that young from committing to schools.  I think a college coach can't have contact with girls until the beginning of their Junior year.

New NCAA softball recruiting rules

In recent years, softball recruiting had begun starting earlier and earlier, with student-athletes as young as 7th grade getting offers from college coaches. Because of this trend toward early recruiting, student-athletes were forced to make important college decisions before they are mature enough to know what they are really looking for in a school. In fact, NCAA research found that about 60% of student-athletes had no idea what academic major they will pursue at the time of their college commitment.

To combat this rise in early offers, the NCAA created new recruiting rules for all D1 sports, and softball took the rules to the next level. As of April 25, 2018, softball college coaches are not allowed to have recruiting conversations or send recruiting messages through an athlete's club/high school coach or other third party. Furthermore, recruits are no longer allowed to arrange unofficial visits at the D1 level with a school’s athletic department until September 1 of the athlete’s junior year of high school.

This article is interesting about a AU 7th grade verbal for 2023 just prior to the new legislation sited above.   https://www.rockdalenewtoncitizen.com/sports/prep/newton/newton-county-seventh-grader-kyla-stroud-commits-to-play-softball/article_e4614baf-d451-5ca1-a96f-daeac495bf13.html   There is also some impressive YouTube video of Kyla Stroud hitting at an AU camp.  Of course, her verbal is in no way binding and a lot can happen between now and then but she is very interesting none the less.

OP updated. Added the signing class article from the AU site that includes quotes on each signee from Dean. Also added slot's post on our 8th commit we got after the other girls signed.

Archived