2019 softball recruiting thread

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a new softball site called softballamerica.com which is the sister site to Baseball America. They have free rankings of the top 2020 recruits & we have the #1 & #3 rated pitchers in the nation committed in Maddie Penta & Shelby Lowe. Anyone know if any of the other girls in the top 50 are committed to us?

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There's a new softball site called softballamerica.com which is the sister site to Baseball America. They have free rankings of the top 2020 recruits & we have the #1 & #3 rated pitchers in the nation committed in Maddie Penta & Shelby Lowe. Anyone know if any of the other girls in the top 50 are committed to us?

We also had another commitment from the #5 pitcher/#15 player overall Haley Pittman. But she committed to Myers and flipped her commitment to UF when Dean took over

3 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

We also had another commitment from the #5 pitcher/#15 player overall Haley Pittman. But she committed to Myers and flipped her commitment to UF when Dean took over

We also had a commit from the #6 player overall and #2 pitcher Sarah Willis also a great OF Myers commit flipped to Washington after Dean took over

I’m still baffled at how good Myers was at recruiting. When people talk about how good Clemson is at FB recruiting, Myers had commitments from the #1, #2, and #3 pitchers in the 2020 class.

Obviously one of those pitchers would of transferred after not being told they were not going to be our ace pitcher, but WOW Myers was good.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

None that I found, did not check California girls

23 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

I’m still baffled at how good Myers was at recruiting. When people talk about how good Clemson is at FB recruiting, Myers had commitments from the #1, #2, and #3 pitchers in the 2020 class.

Obviously one of those pitchers would of transferred after not being told they were not going to be our ace pitcher, but WOW Myers was good.

And had the number 1 pitcher in 2019.   He could evaluate top talent at a young age.

Slightly incorrect on Haley Pittman.

She change from Auburn to Florida after Myers resigned, but before Dean was even mentioned. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

We also had a commit from the #6 player overall and #2 pitcher Sarah Willis also a great OF Myers commit flipped to Washington after Dean took over

Again, Willis also changed from Auburn to Washington during the mess at Auburn and prior to Dean even being mentioned. Get it right if you are calling out a coach due to early players changed where they want to go to school. 

29 minutes ago, wmsau said:

Again, Willis also changed from Auburn to Washington during the mess at Auburn and prior to Dean even being mentioned. Get it right if you are calling out a coach due to early players changed where they want to go to school. 

Relax @wmsau. Thank you for posting correct details on timing but no need to get fired up when other posts are a bit off on the timing of things.

2 hours ago, wmsau said:

Never meant to imply that.  while I was able to find when she de-committed, I was not able to find anything on her committing to Washington besides after Dean was hired.

Myers had that Grandfather image and he played it very well.  The girls and parents just fell in love with him.  He also knows every aspect of the game very well, probably as good as any coach in the country.  Dean, on the other hand (IMO) comes off as cold and if you listen to his on field interviews, not able to verbalize his views on the game in progress or what we need to be doing in the game. 

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Actually, #50 Claire Davidson.  In 2018 she played in Alexandria, Virginia but was encouraged by AU coaches to play in the Tampa area for a more competitive environment.  A Photo I saw would indicate she likely initially committed to Myers.  Here is a  fairly recent article:   https://mustangsahead.com/2018/11/26/davidson-hopes-to-continue-success-with-mustangs/

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Actually, #50 Claire Davidson.  In 2018 she played in Alexandria, Virginia but was encouraged by AU coaches to play in the Tampa area for a more competitive environment.  A Photo I saw would indicate she likely initially committed to Myers.  Here is a  fairly recent article:   https://mustangsahead.com/2018/11/26/davidson-hopes-to-continue-success-with-mustangs/

That’s awesome about Claire we’ve got a lot of great pitchers coming in! 

I’m excited about this transfer season, we have a lot going out and we will need to land some good transfers.

INSANE two-way FSU freshman Makinzy Herzog is transferring. She started 51 games as a freshman, batted .315, pitched 71.2 innings with a 1.56 ERA and finished with a 10-2 record in 20 appearances.

Whoever gets her is getting an amazing player. Really wish Dean could convince her to come here.

6 hours ago, auburnfan247 said:

INSANE two-way FSU freshman Makinzy Herzog is transferring. She started 51 games as a freshman, batted .315, pitched 71.2 innings with a 1.56 ERA and finished with a 10-2 record in 20 appearances.

Whoever gets her is getting an amazing player. Really wish Dean could convince her to come here.

Just give me her address.  I will win her over with my dashing good looks in an Auburn shirt.  Works every time.  Both sexes too.  My good looks do not discriminate. 

0A3D68D7-4CEC-4000-B025-B61C8D6D18B1.gif

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Mods we really need a WOW emojicon.

Or an awe man that’s gross, one!

14 hours ago, auburnfan247 said:

If she expressed an interest in AU and I were our coach, my first question to her would be: "You just finished a highly successful year at one of the top programs in the nation. Why do you want to leave FSU? What do you expect to achieve here that you couldn't do there?"

From that you may gather that I'm not a fan of the Frequent Flyer transfer rules. There are times when a player might have a legitimate reason to flee from their current school but this is happening way too frequently for my taste.

I just posted elsewhere that I don’t like the kids commiting so far in advance of high school graduation.  I hope this transfer rule thing forces coaches to truly get the right kids for their programs, wait a little longer for them to mature, let the kids see the most recent season on the field before they commit and push these decisions later in the process so they end up at the right place with as much info as possible.  Then I’d hope the player, coach and school relationships are more rewarding.

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If she expressed an interest in AU and I were our coach, my first question to her would be: "You just finished a highly successful year at one of the top programs in the nation. Why do you want to leave FSU? What do you expect to achieve here that you couldn't do there?"

From that you may gather that I'm not a fan of the Frequent Flyer transfer rules. There are times when a player might have a legitimate reason to flee from their current school but this is happening way too frequently for my taste.

Now, I on the other hand would be taking the Auburn Jet and getting transfer papers filed as soon as possible.  If you don't take advantage of the rules you are falling behind.

I do get what you are saying.  I have that fear that the majority of programs are just gonna be the minor leagues for the elite programs.  Spend a couple years developing players so they can transfer to a National Championship contender

21 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I just posted elsewhere that I don’t like the kids commiting so far in advance of high school graduation.  I hope this transfer rule thing forces coaches to truly get the right kids for their programs, wait a little longer for them to mature, let the kids see the most recent season on the field before they commit and push these decisions later in the process so they end up at the right place with as much info as possible.  Then I’d hope the player, coach and school relationships are more rewarding.

Was discussed earlier in the thread @mustache eagle. The new recruiting rules that went into affect last year will likely push the timeline back.

Archived