2019 softball recruiting thread

Thanks OW, for the post and the new topic.  The high number of walks is troubling, but the K's sound good.  H'mm on that same portal, I see Taylon Snow is going to OU.  Interesting.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many think she will play second for the Sooners.  They graduated Caleigh Clifton, a 4-year starter for them at second.

USA usually fields some good pitching.  Could be good. They were a top 15 team a few years ago.  Either way we need more pitching.

We certainly need the pitching. Hope she becomes an ace for us. Although I hated to see her leave, I think Taylon made the right decision for her career.

13 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Samantha Yarbrough, a righty, and the #2 for USA last year.  Threw 93 innings as a freshman, had 103Ks, but also 80 or so walks.  From Fairhope.  ERA 4+.  This per Softball America's transfer page.

Started a new topic because the recruiting thread had gotten long and drifted away from the topic.

Ouch. 80 walks in 93 innings? That's terrible. IF she is their #2, no way she is being brought in to be in our top 2, with those numbers. I realize looking at her history, she has split time between hitting and pitching, so she does not have a long history of pitching.

But she is a pretty girl. check out her twitter. 

14 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Many think she will play second for the Sooners.  They graduated Caleigh Clifton, a 4-year starter for them at second.

I think she'll be better at 2B than SS based on arm strength. JMO.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Ouch. 80 walks in 93 innings? That's terrible. IF she is their #2, no way she is being brought in to be in our top 2, with those numbers. I realize looking at her history, she has split time between hitting and pitching, so she does not have a long history of pitching.

But she is a pretty girl. check out her twitter. 

A freshman.....lots of time to work on that issue with CMD......glad to have her at AU...

On 7/5/2019 at 9:12 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

Started a new topic because the recruiting thread had gotten long and drifted away from the topic

I’ll clean the recruiting thread later today when I’m fully awake. But new additions to the roster really do need to be in the recruiting thread. I’ll add something about the transfers in the OP also

al.com

Former Fairhope softball standout Samantha Yarbrough transfers from South Alabama to Auburn

Updated 8:37 AM; Posted Jul 7, 3:12 PM

4 minutes

Auburn Tigers Sports

Dennis Victory

Former Fairhope and South Alabama pitcher Samantha Yarbrough could help stabalize Auburn's rotation. (Dennis Victory/preps@al.com)

By Ben Thomas | bthomas@al.com

Samantha Yarbrough, a two-time AL.com Coastal Alabama Softball Player of the Year, has left the South Alabama program and signed with Auburn.

In her only season with the Jaguars, Yarbrough went 6-9 in 29 appearances with a 4.71 ERA. She made 14 starts and pitched 93.2 innings. She batted just three times.

“I’ve always been an Auburn fan, grew up an Auburn fan,” Samantha Yarbrough said. “Everyone in my family is Auburn. There is just like a feeling of home there. It’s a huge campus but so gorgeous. That was definitely an attraction. Also, the coaches were so welcoming and so nice and so were the girls when I visited. It was absolutely astonishing. I’m just ready to be on the Plains.”

Yarbrough led Fairhope to the Class 7A state softball title in 2018.

Offensively, Yarbrough batted .431 as a high school senior with 10 homers, 43 RBIs and 54 runs scored. She also was 14-of-14 on stolen base attempts. On the mound, though limited due to injury much of the season, she went 13-2 with a 1.12 ERA and 124 strikeouts.

In her two-year Fairhope career, she hit a combined 25 homers and drove in 99 runs at the plate and won 41 games on the mound.

Auburn ace Makayla Martin’s 5th-year waiver denied by NCAA

Martin was injured too late into her senior season to get a medical redshirt.

“I think she will fit perfectly at Auburn,” Fairhope softball coach Chuck Nelson said. “She is a utility player. She can do more than pitch. She can hit, and I mean really hit. She can help in circle and she also could play second base or left field or somewhere like that. Sam is a great athlete and a really good competitor.”

Yarbrough could help stabilize an Auburn rotation that will be without its top two pitchers from last season. Makayla Martin, who was injured most of last season, had her NCAA waiver for a fifth year of eligibility denied and Chardonnay Harris decided to transfer. Auburn coach Mickey Dean said that junior pitcher Ashlee Swindle has made a nice recovery after she suffered a concussion during the NCAA Tournament.

Auburn’s Mickey Dean has strong feelings on NCAA transfer portal

Dean said the NCAA needs to make changes to the portal.

“When I talked to coach Dean, he asked if she can do anything but pitch, and I was like, ‘Oh yes, she has a good arm, a good glove and really good speed She was the second fastest player on our team," Nelson said. "We played her at first a lot just to protect her. We didn’t need her getting hurt, but she could play a number of spots.”

Yarbrough said she expected to pitch and possibly play some infield.

“I’m not really sure about that,” she said. “I hope to go in and contribute quickly. I expect nothing less of myself. I’ll go in, work hard and see what happens. Just wearing that Auburn jersey will be huge for me. I’ll do whatever I can to help the team. I’m super excited.”

Yarbrough joins former Daphne High star Aspyn Godwin as former Baldwin County standouts now on the Auburn roster. The two played travel softball together earlier in their careers.

It's one thing to be positive and gracious, but you lose all credibility when you say

" She can do more than pitch. She can hit, and I mean really hit."

after you gave the girl 4 plate appearances (0-3 plus a SH), and she's going to be playing a much higher level of competition. That's pretty embarrassing.

Looking back at USA's pitchers stats it appears that they do not let their pitchers hit.. looking forward to seeing what Auburn Softball can do.

Softball 

AUBURN, Ala. – Sophomore pitcher/outfielder Samantha Yarbrough and junior outfielder Tyler King have joined the Auburn softball program for the 2020 season, Tigers head coach Mickey Dean announced Tuesday afternoon.

"Samantha had a great high school career and we are looking forward to adding her to our pitching staff and having her bat in the lineup; she has shown in the past that she can hit for power," Dean said. "Tyler has proven to be a really good Division I hitter and has been a mainstay in centerfield her first two years of college softball. She'll be a great addition having really good playing experience in the outfield.

"We really look forward to having both of them in our lineup to help boost our offensive productivity."

Yarbrough, who concluded her prep softball career at Fairhope High School in Fairhope, Ala., appeared in 29 games at the University of South Alabama as a freshman during the 2019 season. She made her collegiate debut against Tennessee State on Feb. 9, when she went 6.0 innings, scattered five hits, struck out five batters and allowed only one run. She struck out a career-high nine batters on three occasions, including accomplishing the feat on April 27 against Georgia Southern in just 3.1 innings of relief. 

For the season, Yarbrough finished with a 4.71 ERA and a 6-9 record in 93.2 innings pitched. Her .212 opponent batting average was the lowest on the Jaguars' pitching staff. Her two saves and 103 strikeouts were the most on the team.

King, a Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., native, comes to Auburn after spending the first two years of her collegiate career at East Carolina, where she started 103 games in the outfield. Her .314 batting average was tied for the top spot among Pirate hitters in 2019, while her 55 hits and 15 stolen bases led the team outright.

Through two seasons, King has already collected 106 hits with a .321 on-base percentage, 52 runs scored and 21 stolen bases.

Yarbrough and King will join a seven-player signing class the Tigers announced in November to help contribute during the 2020 season. 

Print Friendly Version

• 3 weeks later...

Softball America had a 7/3/2019 updated article titled Top 2019 High School Softball Recruits (https://www.softballamerica.com/rankings/top-2019-high-school-softball-recruits/ )  I will not print because it is a total 100 player list.  These lists are a matter of opinion and input from various sources but they do provide a read on some of the top talent nationally.  Looking at the top 25 players (unfortunately #1 player was prior commit to AU and switched to Washington) I noticed the following:  Washington and UCLA had 3 each of the top 25.  The following schools had 2 players from the top 25....Notre Dame, Florida, LSU, Northwestern, Arizona State.  As far as the home state of the listed top 25 there were 8 from California and 5 from Texas.  the club team with the most was OC Bat Busters (California)  with 4 followed by Beverly Bandits with 3.  

As far as Auburn, there were five players in the top 100.  #46 Madison Koepke, #48 Jaylin Calvert(Bandits), #50 Maddie Majors, #89 K K Dismukes, and #90 Lindsey Garcia.  Seems to be a good class with that number of high rated players.  Important they become part of an improving competitive team.  

• 5 weeks later...
23 hours ago, slot canyon said:

From AU softball twitter page a link to summary of Softball America top 25 recruiting classes:

https://www.softballamerica.com/rankings/2019-ncaa-softball-recruiting-rankings/

Thanks Slot.  According to that article, all is not doom and gloom in the AU softball world.

A new player name has appeared on the AU softball roster page; Madi Perry a 5' 7" infielder from Loganville, Georgia.  She was 5A  1st team all state.  From what I gather she signed November 2018.  

DtRGq8IV4AAn3UC.jpg

Evidently, AU nor the media at any level does a good job of seeking or sharing information on the young ladies that either are signing with or transferring to the AU Softball program. Just never seem to get the entire picture. Frustrating for us as fans.

Perry becomes the 22d player on the roster, including King and Yarbrough, who are not yet listed.  Practice starts this week, with the first fall game on the 29th.  Excited to see who comes to the top of the churn.

Edit to say that should be 23d.  I overlooked Phoebe Florian before. 

And now another secret player has shown up on the roster:  Hannah Cavanaugh from Winter Park, FL.  Listed as a pitcher, but her bio information doesn't mention pitching.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, slot canyon said:

From AU softball twitter page a link to summary of Softball America top 25 recruiting classes:

https://www.softballamerica.com/rankings/2019-ncaa-softball-recruiting-rankings/

# 8! Wow! Didn't expect that.

13 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

And now another secret player has shown up on the roster:  Hannah Cavanaugh from Winter Park, FL.  Listed as a pitcher, but her bio information doesn't mention pitching.

Not much floating out there about her.  Seen her listed as RHP and 1st base.  6 ft tall.  I believe that gives us 6 players trying out for positions on the pitching rotation;.

10 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Not much floating out there about her.  Seen her listed as RHP and 1st base.  6 ft tall.  I believe that gives us 6 players trying out for positions on the pitching rotation;.

That's some good depth. I don't recall 6 pitchers even with Myers 50 player roster (a bit exaggerated of course)

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

That's some good depth. I don't recall 6 pitchers even with Myers 50 player roster (a bit exaggerated of course)

We do have some quantity but at this point we don't know about the quality.  I would like to think that the staff feels these new pitchers (excluding Dismukes since she was a signee in Nov. 2018) have the potential to help the team.  Next years class currently has 2 highly rated pitchers committed.

Archived